Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• I think it's time to stop thinking about this window in the context of this season and think longer term (plus some good loans). 

We want the kind of window that we look back at this time next year and say "some really important building blocks for a genuine promotion push were put in place then".
  • Fraser is far from perfect but think he gets a bit of a hard time on here. He will always show for the ball and has a decent creative spark. He needs to do it more often but he’s not a bad player.
    Not a bad player I agree. But, as you say, he doesn’t do it enough and there’s little sign he’s suddenly going to start doing it more often. He’s a classic mid table player and we need to move beyond his ilk if we’re going to progress. 
  • Fraser is far from perfect but think he gets a bit of a hard time on here. He will always show for the ball and has a decent creative spark. He needs to do it more often but he’s not a bad player.
    But we don't need players who are "not bad." We need players who are consistently good. We need Alfie May types who play as well and put in the same effort against Cray Paper Mills and Bolton.

Fraser is okay and maybe as a squad player he'd be alright. But for him to be in and around the first team so much says a lot about why we're midtable and not going anywhere just yet.
  • sam3110 said:
    Bate is 21 and Watson is 22, I'd say Bate has a bigger profile to his name and broke out younger, but they're fairly similar
    Problem with Leeds,when they sell players it is usually the sort of money div 1 teams can't afford 
  • I think it's time to stop thinking about this window in the context of this season and think longer term (plus some good loans). 

We want the kind of window that we look back at this time next year and say "some really important building blocks for a genuine promotion push were put in place then".
    I agree with this. But in recent years we’ve not had owners who are willing to do this, and who would actually be astute enough to be successful at it anyway.

Plus our fan base as a whole wouldn’t really accept anything more than top 6 I imagine.

For me though on the whole we seem to endlessly go into most transfer windows with a different manager, wanting different style players, to play either a totally different formation or in a different way. Hoping that eventually we will land on the right formula. 

I would much prefer that the club had an ethos and style of play it wanted to stick to, and recruited young talented players to fit that style. Then picked the right coach who aligns with that, and if it goes wrong (which it might because football is not easy), then the next coach in will be ‘cut from the same cloth’ as it were.

Then again I have played way to much football manager this year.
  • This time last season, 28 points off 20 games (us right now) would’ve been enough to be three points outside the playoffs. 

And this season was meant to be easier…
    It is easier if you have a half decent team.
    That's why the top six have so many points. 
    Unfortunately we have been mostly crap so far.
  • I’m sorry but what’s the hype over bate? Didn’t really set the world alight at Oxford did he 
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    shirty5 said:
    To be honest I don't blame for waiting to see if the owners walk the walk in the transfer window. We have heard the talk now go out and do something. 
    Agreed, it has to be the right deal for both parties!

As I mentioned, if we have a good start to the window, I think they will sign. If not, a replace will be found, and would be sold. Can't see them going for free in the summer!
  • shirty5 said:
    Again they are really raising expectations for this window. I’ll believe it when I see it, just seems odd that they are going to go big now when surely it would have made a lot more sense to do so in the summer? 
    Anyone can show for the ball. He’s a top earner and we need him to contribute more goals and assists. In a similar way to how CBT has raised his game.
  • Valley11 said:
    fenaddick said:
    11 points off the play offs now and I don't see us catching Bolton anyway so 12 points of Stevenage as a more realistic team to catch I guess.
    2 games in hand over Stevenage too
    Win them both we are still 6 points behind, beat them in the return tie and still 3. I highly doubt we will go on the type of run to catch them and they would have to drop off quite a bit. 

The team more likely to do it is Barnsley who we are 7 points behind with the same number of games played. That's why beating them would have been massive. 
    Agree. I got LoLs a couple of weeks back when I said this season has gone. It has, I think. 
    We’re too far behind without a settled team and style of play that would lead to a swaggering run - and it also relies on too many teams slipping up. 
    Disgraceful that this club will bob around AGAIN in the third division but it’s about building for next season now and getting an identity to take into it.
    And that’s why this transfer window is bigger than I think we realise.
    It’s a big part of that run up to next season. Bed players in now and start the momentum into 2024/25, when we MUST get out of League 1. 

Can’t disagree with any of that, but we’ve been saying this season after season, and we still get nowhere, time and time again.
  • shirty5 said:
    Screams losing them both on a free to me.
  • edited December 2023
    Ed - see the same point has been made twice 
  • Fraser is morphing into Morgan the more he plays. Should be a sub at best, hopefully we can get someone in good enough to keep him there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    I'm ambivalent.
    I hope we keep hold of them until the end of the season, because I think if we lose both in January it could destabilise us too much.
    They are both probably vying for second place in POTY behind May.
    Beyond that I don't give a shit if they go in the summer.
  • Gonna be a hard sell getting any decent permanents in at the moment isn't it? Have to hope for a few more wins or players will look at us as mid table nothingness. 
  • Well you can’t argue with anything Scott has said can you. It’s obvious that there is intent and willingness from the owners and management to push ahead. Hopefully they spend wisely and it all works out. No more injury prone gambles please
  • AndyG said:
    Well you can’t argue with anything Scott has said can you. It’s obvious that there is intent and willingness from the owners and management to push ahead. Hopefully they spend wisely and it all works out. No more injury prone gambles please
     Unfortunately this is groundhog day though. Scott says many things that on the face of it seem very reasonable and sensible...

... and then does nothing of the sort.
  • thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Well you can’t argue with anything Scott has said can you. It’s obvious that there is intent and willingness from the owners and management to push ahead. Hopefully they spend wisely and it all works out. No more injury prone gambles please
     Unfortunately this is groundhog day though. Scott says many things that on the face of it seem very reasonable and sensible...

... and then does nothing of the sort.
    I’m not defending the bloke as the just is still out for me with this lot but I can’t think of anything that he has said that hasn’t happened where it was within his control