Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    I can't see why we would have spent our whole transfer budget, only to free up a space?
    I'm prepared to be whooshed, but......

I seriously hope to god that we are looking go spend more than £450k & £6k p/w salary in January. 
    I don't think it should be read quite as literally as that. What it does mean is that we are looking at AT LEAST one more permanent signing (who we now have space for) and that in theory at least there is 6k p/w available now that wasn't before, which at this level would be not inconsiderable.

Plus it shows that the idea that our operating budget is completely tapped out already is either outdated or just wrong.

Now this being Charlton it's highly possible we go and blow it by signing a dud who makes Kirk look like Messi in comparison but there's reason for (extremely cautious) optimism I think.
    It's tempered by having long established well respected posters expressing reservations about our current ownership and leadership again though.

It's easy to ignore the likes of me if I come across as a condescending look at me and hear what I say self appointed authority, my views having no more credibility than anyone else's on here, but not so those more in the know with what goes on at the club and familiar to us.

Kirk, who as far as I know didn't breach the terms of his contract with us performance wise, was a poor signing and a waste of money in retrospect and had to go, which he has.

Sorting out his situation was clearly a priority, so like you, I regard his departure and as a welcome and promising sign of things to come. Let's see what January brings.
  • thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:
    I can't see why we would have spent our whole transfer budget, only to free up a space?

I seriously hope to god that we are looking go spend more than £450k & £6k p/w salary in January. 
    I don't think it should be read quite as literally as that. What it does mean is that we are looking at AT LEAST one more permanent signing (who we now have space for) and that in theory at least there is 6k p/w available now that wasn't before, which at this level would be not inconsiderable.

Plus it shows that the idea that our operating budget is completely tapped out already is either outdated or just wrong.

Now this being Charlton it's highly possible we go and blow it by signing a dud who makes Kirk look like Messi in comparison but there's reason for (extremely cautious) optimism I think.
    I doubt there is now an additional 6k pw available. If in paying up his contract it has cost us say 4k pw until June 2025 then that has only freed up an extra 2k pw from now until then. Yes it means we can offer a bit more to one or two players but Kirk leaving won't have been cheap. It's just given us a little bit of wiggle room 
  • thenewbie said:
    mendonca said:

I doubt there is now an additional 6k pw available. If in paying up his contract it has cost us say 4k pw until June 2025 then that has only freed up an extra 2k pw from now until then. Yes it means we can offer a bit more to one or two players but Kirk leaving won't have been cheap. It's just given us a little bit of wiggle room 
    That's fair (I'm shit at maths and freely admit it) so my figures are probably way off. But I think that the general point - that there are INDICATIONS of activity - still stands. 

If we weren't planning on doing anything we wouldn't bother making any wriggle room. It's possible (even probable, based on recent evidence) that said activity will be a bit shit but Kirk going and the apparent returns of Tedic and Abankwah suggest that we are at least going to attempt some sort of genuine improvement - successfully so, well that is the question.

Scott and the rest still have a lot to prove but I am at least glad that they seem to know it and aren't just coasting along thinking its all hunky dory.
  • If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Yeah ok …… Bauer wages would blow our FFP.. more likey to do with wages and restrictions in league one … 
    Exactly. So if we did sign him, it would be fuck all to do with his age and only because we can't afford him.

If Caulker signs, it's very telling.
    Wrong again we can afford him but restrictions and rules will stop us … 
    How does that work then ?  According to Charlie the owners were happy to put equity in to resolve FFP rules earlier on this season, so that cant be a problem  . The only restriction could be squad numbers, but we are sending back loans , Kirk has been binned and as a large part of our squad are kids they don't count towards the restrictions ............
  • Talal said:
    I'm far from a Hector fan but he's been good the last few games and better than Thomas, who's done an ok job. Maybe we'd have been closer to the playoffs had he fancied turning up from the get go. 
    Funny how his form picks up when he’s looking for a contract for next season.
    Cynic 😂
  • mendonca said:

I would say if you’re expecting a couple of million to be spent, prepare to be disappointed.
    Golfie would be disappointed if we signed Harry Kane.
    We'd be too reliant on one player scoring, when he inevitably gets injured blah blah ....
  • Sponsored links:

• I know it’s the pantomime season but spending money and getting premium league players in on loan in January is not our owners style.

Would expect lower leagues ie league one or two , or someone that has links to that Belgium set up ( the name I have forgot) with our current owners.
  • edited December 2023
    I know it’s the pantomime season but spending money and getting premium league players in on loan in January is not our owners style.

Would expect lower leagues ie league one or two , or someone that has links to that Belgium set up ( the name I have forgot) with our current owners.
    But they spent money and got PL players on loan in the summer? And didn’t sign anyone from Belgium 
  • I honestly can't see us splashing out in January - we'll still be a fair few points off the play offs and will need champions form to force our way in. To do that we would need very high quality signings and, as we all know, they would come at inflated prices/wages in the January window. Can't see the owners doing that and I wouldn't blame them (if we were 1 or 2 points off, it would be different) - simply not a wise investment. If we can get a couple in for the longer term and prepare a proper assault in the next window, that is my expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we'd go all billy big bucks and try and sneak into the play offs but I can't really see that happening.
  • sam3110 said:
    I know it’s the pantomime season but spending money and getting premium league players in on loan in January is not our owners style.

Is it not their style? How do we even know that? They haven't been in charge of a January transfer window yet FFS 
    Something’s you don’t have to wait for,you just know it’s not the style of the owners FFS
  • edited December 2023
    If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Yeah ok …… Bauer wages would blow our FFP.. more likey to do with wages and restrictions in league one … 
    Exactly. So if we did sign him, it would be fuck all to do with his age and only because we can't afford him.

If Caulker signs, it's very telling.
    Wrong again we can afford him but restrictions and rules will stop us … 
    There are no restrictions and rules (other than squad size) that will stop us if the owners choose to fund any excess by way of equity rather than by way of loans.
    Any sums are permitted if they are not adding to the debt.
    Surely, you must remember this as i'm confident it has been said countless times.
  • NabySarr said:

But they spent money and got PL players on loan in the summer? And didn’t sign anyone from Belgium 
    It's awkward when people start quoting facts.
  • I honestly can't see us splashing out in January - we'll still be a fair few points off the play offs and will need champions form to force our way in. To do that we would need very high quality signings and, as we all know, they would come at inflated prices/wages in the January window. Can't see the owners doing that and I wouldn't blame them (if we were 1 or 2 points off, it would be different) - simply not a wise investment. If we can get a couple in for the longer term and prepare a proper assault in the next window, that is my expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we'd go all billy big bucks and try and sneak into the play offs but I can't really see that happening.
    I agree but i do think that could change depending on how we do. We will probably play our next 5 games before we bring anyone in, in that we play 4 teams below us in the league so we could get ourselves a lot nearer the play offs, but we also have a lot of injuries so it could go either way. 

If we are within 10 points of the play offs I think it’s worth a go, but anymore than that then I’d probably be a bit smarter and save money for the summer and try and get a fee for CBT

• Pretty sure Appleton wants experience and Andy Scott said he didn't want loanees. So we are linked with a young, inexperienced loanee. 😂.  Can't see it unless they thought they could get him perm in the summer and this is a try before you buy type.  
  • I will say what I said in the summer, unless they are a JRS level wonderkid the last thing we need is other teams raw talented young players on loan, as we have enough of our own already. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:
    I will say what I said in the summer, unless they are a JRS level wonderkid the last thing we need is other teams raw talented young players on loan, as we have enough of our own already. 
    If he’s scoring/assisting for Arsenal youth and getting on the bench (even on the pitch in the cup) then he might be that level 
  • ValleyBen said:
    I will say what I said in the summer, unless they are a JRS level wonderkid the last thing we need is other teams raw talented young players on loan, as we have enough of our own already. 
    Can't be worse than the 45 minutes Rylah contributed the other week
  • ButtleJR said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/ready-to-sell-unwanted-pair-in-january-third-star-switches-agents-force-through-20m-transfer

Leeds willing to listen to offers for Lewis Bate, 6 months to run so could be a target 
    Club are aware of this. Bate would love to sign for us. 
    Feels like a really sensible deal and one we could probably make some money on in the future too. Obviously a bit of a risk as he hasn’t been playing this season but surely worth a punt 
  • ButtleJR said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/ready-to-sell-unwanted-pair-in-january-third-star-switches-agents-force-through-20m-transfer

Leeds willing to listen to offers for Lewis Bate, 6 months to run so could be a target 
    Club are aware of this. Bate would love to sign for us. 

That's fantastic news. Local lad obviously and with the amount of injuries we've had in the middle of park a very smart signing too. 
  • Isnt Bate meant to be a similar level to Watson ( who barring his recent downturn in form has been decent for us )
  • Bate is 21 and Watson is 22, I'd say Bate has a bigger profile to his name and broke out younger, but they're fairly similar