Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    He's definitely worth a punt and always looks good when I see his clips however he is only 5'7 and we are already a bit too small as a team so he isn't going to improve us in that way and it has to be said we are already getting bullied every week
    That’s a very good point. We definitely need more physicality in midfield. I’ve never seen him play though, and there have been tough players who are of limited stature. Leeds’ Billy Brenner was only 5’5” for example. 
  • Swisdom said:
    He's definitely worth a punt and always looks good when I see his clips however he is only 5'7 and we are already a bit too small as a team so he isn't going to improve us in that way and it has to be said we are already getting bullied every week
    I think we need a better player defensively than Bate, Watson or Fraser to partner Dobson. Annoyingly we already have 3 others that fit better but they are all injured 
  • Sage said:
    Bate is better than Watson and we should’ve signed him in the summer when we had the chance. Hopefully, we are interested and he can return back home and kick on in his career and that be with us.
    Why didn’t we sign him in the summer?
  • Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Bate is better than Watson and we should’ve signed him in the summer when we had the chance. Hopefully, we are interested and he can return back home and kick on in his career and that be with us.
    he was definitely mentioned on here and I think people said the club were aware of him. wouldn’t be surprised if they had a hunch he’d be available on the cheap in January so held off, could be why we signed L Watson 
  • NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/ready-to-sell-unwanted-pair-in-january-third-star-switches-agents-force-through-20m-transfer

Leeds willing to listen to offers for Lewis Bate, 6 months to run so could be a target 
    Club are aware of this. Bate would love to sign for us. 
    Unfortunately that rules him out as Scott is looking to sign players who don’t want to sign for us ;)
    Except he isn't 
  • edited December 2023
    Bate is a really tidy footballer, but I'd be surprised if they think he fits the profile Appleton has been talking about. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/ready-to-sell-unwanted-pair-in-january-third-star-switches-agents-force-through-20m-transfer

Leeds willing to listen to offers for Lewis Bate, 6 months to run so could be a target 
    Doubt it - he wanted to come to Charlton in the summer on loan and we took Louis Watson instead 
  • fenaddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    he was definitely mentioned on here and I think people said the club were aware of him. wouldn’t be surprised if they had a hunch he’d be available on the cheap in January so held off, could be why we signed L Watson 
    That makes no sense tbh - if we had taken him on loan we still could have signed him now 
  • Wonder if we’ll send Louie Watson back? Appleton hasn’t seemed to rate him recently. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    fenaddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    That makes no sense tbh - if we had taken him on loan we still could have signed him now 
    I’m only theorising but if he’d been playing for half a season and playing well then Leeds would probably be wanting a higher fee now. Like I say, just a guess 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:
    fenaddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    I’m only theorising but if he’d been playing for half a season and playing well then Leeds would probably be wanting a higher fee now. Like I say, just a guess 
    My theory is I think we probably went for Watson rather than Bate thinking we’d have more chance of making it a permanent at some point - maybe we have made an offer when he was playing well and it’s been turned down and apples told to concentrate on Fraser and mgrandles instead 
  •  I’m also told it was to do with wages at the time - seemed strange coz wouldn’t have cost that much more for the loan period but maybe we had one eye on future wages 
  • DOUCHER said:
     I’m also told it was to do with wages at the time - seemed strange coz wouldn’t have cost that much more for the loan period but maybe we had one eye on future wages 
    Doesnt make much sense - Instead we signed the player thats cheaper but can't get game time .......
  • DOUCHER said:
     I’m also told it was to do with wages at the time - seemed strange coz wouldn’t have cost that much more for the loan period but maybe we had one eye on future wages 
    Doesnt make much sense - Instead we signed the player thats cheaper but can't get game time .......
    Some recruitment team eh! :)
  • edited December 2023
    11 points off the play offs now and I don't see us catching Bolton anyway so 12 points off Stevenage as a more realistic team to catch I guess.
  • DOUCHER said:
    well, the other 2 possibilities as to why we chose Watson over Bate is 1) We thought Watson was better 2) We didn't want to pay the extra £1500 a week for Bate - if its 2) then that's a worry and if its 1) we won't be putting a bid in for Bate now he's up for sale. 
  • 11 points off the play offs now and I don't see us catching Bolton anyway so 12 points of Stevenage as a more realistic team to catch I guess.
    2 games in hand over Stevenage too
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    11 points off the play offs now and I don't see us catching Bolton anyway so 12 points of Stevenage as a more realistic team to catch I guess.
    Win them both we are still 6 points behind, beat them in the return tie and still 3. I highly doubt we will go on the type of run to catch them and they would have to drop off quite a bit. 

The team more likely to do it is Barnsley who we are 7 points behind with the same number of games played. That's why beating them would have been massive. 
  • fenaddick said:
    11 points off the play offs now and I don't see us catching Bolton anyway so 12 points of Stevenage as a more realistic team to catch I guess.
    Win them both we are still 6 points behind, beat them in the return tie and still 3. I highly doubt we will go on the type of run to catch them and they would have to drop off quite a bit. 

The team more likely to do it is Barnsley who we are 7 points behind with the same number of games played. That's why beating them would have been massive. 
    all depends on January, not just us but how other teams strengthen/get picked apart. Seems to be sacking season in the Championship too so we could see some play off teams lose managers 
  • If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Yeah ok …… Bauer wages would blow our FFP.. more likey to do with wages and restrictions in league one … 
    Exactly. So if we did sign him, it would be fuck all to do with his age and only because we can't afford him.

If Caulker signs, it's very telling.
    Wrong again we can afford him but restrictions and rules will stop us … 
    There are no restrictions and rules (other than squad size) that will stop us if the owners choose to fund any excess by way of equity rather than by way of loans.
    Any sums are permitted if they are not adding to the debt.
    Surely, you must remember this as i'm confident it has been said countless times.
    Sounds like our hedge fund and private equity holders may have set a ceiling on our debt - which of course would be pretty typical of how that breed operates.
  • edited December 2023
    To be fair, the entire top six being on near enough 2 points per game or more at this stage of the season is mad and likely not sustainable.

Stop trying to catch teams and focus on an end of season points target instead. 75 has been enough for top six MOST seasons, if it’s not this season then that’s bad luck.

It’s still a big hill to climb from where we are but it’s easier on the psyche than thinking we’re 10+ points behind an ever increasing target.
  • To be fair, the entire top six being on near enough 2 points per game or more at this stage of the season is mad and likely not sustainable.

Stop trying to catch teams and focus on an end of season points target instead. 75 has been enough for top six MOST seasons, if it’s not this season then that’s bad luck.

It’s still a big hill to climb from where we are but it’s easier on the psyche than thinking we’re 10+ points behind an ever increasing target.
    I’d agree if the league wasn’t so weak this year. Think we’re in for some records 
  • fenaddick said:
    To be fair, the entire top six being on near enough 2 points per game or more at this stage of the season is mad and likely not sustainable.

I’d agree if the league wasn’t so weak this year. Think we’re in for some records 
    Also add in the fact that 2 teams got point deductions and another team didnt score a single goal in their first 11 matches. 
  • This time last season, 28 points off 20 games (us right now) would’ve been enough to be three points outside the playoffs. 

And this season was meant to be easier…
    If you ignore the other teams games in hands at that point, even then, the top6 at the time remained the same by the end of the season. It's mid-table form no matter how you look at it.

This season is easier, we just didn't capitalise. Next season will probably be harder.