Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Understand it’s complete different circumstances now, but almost sounds quiet like what he said here about the last January transfer window:

https://youtu.be/feCmv_61288?si=WUeqC334oaQiwyQS

I tend to think people always want to over analyse what is said by people like Scott, I am sure there are probably some useful tidbits about strategy contained in these words - but on the whole it will just be a media trained response knowing what the fans want to hear (even if that is the intention).
  • seth plum said:
    I think Fraser plays because he can kick a football with his left foot.
    Not many others in our squad are natural left footed players.
    Fraser does not strike me as a player hungry or determined to win.
    Which is also one of the reasons why Bate would be a good option. He is left footed.
  • edited December 2023
    Understand it’s complete different circumstances now, but almost sounds quiet like what he said here about the last January transfer window:

https://youtu.be/feCmv_61288?si=WUeqC334oaQiwyQS

I tend to think people always want to over analyse what is said by people like Scott, I am sure there are probably some useful tidbits about strategy contained in these words - but on the whole it will just be a media trained response knowing what the fans want to hear (even if that is the intention).
    They couldn't make it any clearer at this point. I know we've been let down before... But it's Christmas. Allow yourself a glimmer of hope that this Jan will be decent, even if the season won't be. 
  • edited December 2023
    Southbank said:
    “If we can get some senior players back from injury and tweak the squad a little bit (in the transfer window) it is encouraging that we can make that gap up to the top six.'

This is the key sentence in Scott's interview. 'Tweaks' implies not much spending, and 'back from injury' is  wishful thinking about players like Aneke and Camara.

Personally I have very low expectations for January.

All of the above were brought in under Scott’s control. One gone back and two possibles that may go as well 

Scott needs to raise his game next month and in the summer if he’s allowed that opportunity 
  • edited December 2023
    seth plum said:
    Making automatic promotion is still mathematically possible.
    I am judging this Methven regime by results, and they’re not good enough for automatic promotion as it stands.
    We have to make up around a dozen lost points, which means winning every home game, and six of our away games and drawing the rest.
    Results like that lead to a positive judgement from me.
    I thought my post might have invited a response along the lines of 'no one has reached a conclusion yet' so thanks for your honesty. I get where you're coming from and can set aside any thoughts that I might be completely wrong.

Remember we're only a game away from embarking on that long awaited winning run that will see us surge into contention. Merry Christmas 😉
  • I always hope for the best but does not mean switching my cynical brain off. 

Completely agree with what Scott says, like I am sure most fans do, the question will remain is the budget unrealistically tight to achieve success. 

There is enough wording sprinkled among those interviews that can be read as getting our excuses in early too.
  • Slippery Scott.
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Again they are really raising expectations for this window. I’ll believe it when I see it, just seems odd that they are going to go big now when surely it would have made a lot more sense to do so in the summer? 
    Like you I'll believe it when the pudding is there for us all to sample but without making excuses I wonder whether the takeover missing the start of the summer window meant the best signings had already gone?

I'm quite hopeful, it doesn't make much sense to raise expectations only to burst the balloon in January? With that hope and the chance of a couple of good wins I'm looking forward to Christmas. 

It makes total sense for CBT & Dobson waiting to see what comes along. Plus if they're free agents in the summer I imagine our offer to them will have been boosted to take account of the sign-on fee they'd 'lose' if they re-sign and if that's true I wonder if that extra would make alternative players just as or more 'attractive'? 
  • shirty5 said:
    I'm ambivalent.
    I hope we keep hold of them until the end of the season, because I think if we lose both in January it could destabilise us too much.
    They are both probably vying for second place in POTY behind May.
    Beyond that I don't give a shit if they go in the summer.
    New agent trying to play daddy big boots …. he looks after a league one player end of 
  • edited December 2023
    Andy Scott's previous quotes:

We don’t want this to be a waste of a season. We want this to be a successful season. We felt making the decision when we did left Michael with plenty of games to be successful with a group we feel is a strong one in this league.

We can at least challenge at the top end of the league where we feel we should be with the squad we’ve put together.

“I will hold my hands up if something goes wrong. I don’t expect to get plaudits. I don’t want to be front and centre – doing interviews. I want to do my job and be judged on how the club performs.

So, he thinks our current squad is strong enough.  Now he talks of tweaks.  Personally, I am not excited.
  • He wants to be judged on how the club performs.
    Right now my judgement is four and a half out of ten, somewhere between below average and poor.
  • shirty5 said:
    They would be mad to sign new contracts now, unless we made them a ridiculous offer. It makes 100% sense for them to wait and see what division we're in next season, and what other offers they receive, as they can always sign a new deal here in the summer if nothing else comes up they fancy.

Mainly due to the endless ownership and managerial changes, I'm sure we've consistently been one of the worst clubs at our level when it comes to managing contracts. In the case of both CBT and Dobbo, we should have been offering them new deals a year ago. If you have decent players who've proved themselves, then you need to protect these "financial assets". You can always sell them for a nominal fee if things change, like we did with Josh Davison.

Miles is still only contracted until 2025 for example, that urgently needs extending. Kanu is only contracted until next summer?
  • Apparently we are interested in signing Gassan Ahadme
  • Southbank said:
    “If we can get some senior players back from injury and tweak the squad a little bit (in the transfer window) it is encouraging that we can make that gap up to the top six.'

This is the key sentence in Scott's interview. 'Tweaks' implies not much spending, and 'back from injury' is  wishful thinking about players like Aneke and Camara.

It’s deluded and I agree.  On what planet does he think Aneke is suddenly going to come back and have a run of games?  With every injury he has, it lessens the chances of us ever seeing him have a run of games.  As good as Camara is, relying on his return is a risk.  No one has a clue how good Terry Taylor is 

• cabbles said:
    Southbank said:

It’s deluded and I agree.  On what planet does he think Aneke is suddenly going to come back and have a run of games?  With every injury he has, it lessens the chances of us ever seeing him have a run of games.  As good as Camara is, relying on his return is a risk.  No one has a clue how good Terry Taylor is 

Hasn't Apples said that there needs to be more than a handful of players coming in ? That would suggest more than tweaks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JCH is another name floating around
  • I think we might experience an Old Mother Hubbard transfer window.

She is a 20 goal a season striker.
    He will cost too much and as we live in Peterborough I can tell you he's a lazy sod and wouldn't suit Appletons team at all.

That would be a statement of intent would it not.
  • redbuttle said:
    JCH is another name floating around
    He will cost too much and as we live in Peterborough I can tell you he's a lazy sod and wouldn't suit Appletons team at all.
    you’re right he is lazy but on the pitch with May that might not be a problem. he’s a bit of a lump who can make the ball stick at his feet which is what we’ve been missing since Aneke/Leaburn got injured 
  • I’m sorry but what’s the hype over bate? Didn’t really set the world alight at Oxford did he 
    He did have a few player of the months and the fans seemed to rate him - I dint think he plays a headline grabbing type of game but think he would definitely help in controlling games - something we can’t seem to do - we are either ripping inti teams or defending for our lives 
  • nagAddick said:
    Apparently we are interested in signing Gassan Ahadme
    I thought he was very impressive against us.
    I work in the area and he's been awful this season according to their fans. 
  • Peterborough on the whole seem decent at moving on their players at the right time for them. So it’s not beyond the realms, but it’s not necessarily in an area I think we need immediately addresses 
  • MrBurns said:
    JCH is another name floating around
    I work in the area and he's been awful this season according to their fans. 
    Hasn't been playing much - mostly been on the bench. They have changed the way they play and have recruited for  - are now playing with -  a team full of quick younger players. Gone away from the Hold Up Scrapper type.