Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Anyway🤷‍♂️,..any transfer rumours anyone...🤔
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    I disagree.

ness is struggling and Thomas isn't good enough as third choice.

sometimes you need a 6 month fix to see you through the season and then get a young target that fits the mould in the summer. Caulker is more than capable of being that third choice cover short term and is better and has played a lot higher than ness/thomas has and will. I think Mitchell will be used more next year, therefore, a short term replacement will work.

if caulker was given a 2.5 year deal then I would agree with you. 
    Have you actually been watching the past few games mate? Thomas has come in to the team and replaced Jones adequately. We don't need someone like Caulker when we have Thomas. We already need to replace Hector, so we currently have 0 Charlton centre backs made for the future, but we want a bloke who we can't say for sure can replace our current centre back choices? We need THE man for THE job, not a bloke to cover a crack.

How are we still this content with mediocrity? It actually drives me nuts. 

Why does no one seem to be angry or bothered that every year we sign the same type of players? There's literally 0 thought into how we recruit players.

Out of all our best 3 current players, one was recommended by our ex owners clueless son? One basically done the groundwork himself to get signed and I'm not going to give them credit for finding the best striker in the league. 

I would genuinely love to see how our recruitment team operates, who they're watching, what their meetings are like. It must be abysmal 
    Yes, I have seen Thomas in the last two games and I've also seen him about 20 other times which has given me enough data to come to the conclusion that Thomas is a car crash waiting to happen which is why most of his games played in his career have been for Woking and Wimbledon.

im not content with mediocrity. I am a realist though.

who are we going to get in January that will be a long term fixture in the team?

we need to repair the leaking roof now and then replace the roof in the summer.

caulker would be a better repair than ness and thomas.
    He has been deployed as a make shift left back. When he has played centre back the last couple of games, he has looked no different to Hector. Both OK defenders at this level but we need better. 

We don't need to repair the leaking roof, as we are in literally no danger of going down, what's the point in spending wages on a potentially, slightly better, older defender to secure mid table? We are probably going to do that regardless. 

We need players to come in and be better, you can't say you're not content with mediocrity and then say you wouldn't mind a washed up journey man in the same post to 'fix a leak'?

Hector has been on a different level to Thomas the last few games. Thomas has done ok, he should have dealt with the Cambridge corner goal but other than that has done a job. But Hector has been very good. There is a clear difference in ability between the 2 of them, do you ignore all work a centre back does with the ball at his feet? Hector is a better defender than Thomas but on the ball he’s another level 

We need a centre back that is at least as good as Jones and Hector, so that we don’t have to drop to the level of Thomas/Ness when there is an injury. 

Caleb Taylor has been mentioned, a good signing imo but probably won’t be able to bring him in until late in the window as WBA will lose Ajayi to AFCON so won’t want to lose another CB. If Jones is back this week then we can probably afford to wait if he is our first choice target 
    Different level?! 

Can a mod please spoiler attached images: 
    Maybe judge with your eyes not the who scored ratings😂 they mean nothing, I can go on FotMob and Hector is better than Thomas in both games. 

How are whoscored picking up Thomas costing us a goal against Cambridge? They aren’t. 

Pass accuracy means nothing, Hector passes more forwards/long so is more likely to lose the ball. 

Thomas won 4/11 aerial duels, 4 out of 11!!! Hector won 1/1 and also won all his ground duels. Presenting that as 4v1 is ridiculous. Looks like Barnsley were targeting Thomas because they know he’s shit 

You present these stats as if they mean something, but the only thing they tell me is that you don’t know/understand how to use these stats. Ask any fan who doesn’t have Hector-hate glasses on and they will tell you that Hector has been our best player recently and Thomas is bang average 
    If you are watching much of the game via your mobile screen you undoubtedly have the worst view in the stadium. 
  • Anyway🤷‍♂️,..any transfer rumours anyone...🤔
    I've heard we're looking at Jizz Hornkamp
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    We’ve had a shocking few signings in Jan in recent years, Aneke, Fraser and Mansfield spring to mind.  The Spurs youngster, can’t even remember his name, Juan Castillo or whatever his name was.  To be honest, given our track record, I’d be surprised if we come out of Jan with Dobson and CBT still here.  I can’t see how we’re gonna bring in anyone of notable quality in Jan 
    Fraser is not a shocking signing. 
    Of course he is.  He’s been flapping around pirouetting since he got here.  The majority of his game is pointing to where other players should be, whilst looking about 10 yards off the pace.  We were mugged off.  I was quite optimistic when we got him, but as time goes by, he’s the epitome of every thing that’s been wrong with our transfer policy in recent years
    Spot on. He's been here for almost 2 years now and for the most part has been average at best. Made even worse by the fact that we paid an allegedly significant fee and he's one of our highest earners. 
  • MrBurns said:
    apparently Forest tried to sign him in 2022
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    I disagree.

sometimes you need a 6 month fix to see you through the season and then get a young target that fits the mould in the summer. Caulker is more than capable of being that third choice cover short term and is better and has played a lot higher than ness/thomas has and will. I think Mitchell will be used more next year, therefore, a short term replacement will work.

Have you actually been watching the past few games mate? Thomas has come in to the team and replaced Jones adequately. We don't need someone like Caulker when we have Thomas. We already need to replace Hector, so we currently have 0 Charlton centre backs made for the future, but we want a bloke who we can't say for sure can replace our current centre back choices? We need THE man for THE job, not a bloke to cover a crack.

Why does no one seem to be angry or bothered that every year we sign the same type of players? There's literally 0 thought into how we recruit players.

Out of all our best 3 current players, one was recommended by our ex owners clueless son? One basically done the groundwork himself to get signed and I'm not going to give them credit for finding the best striker in the league. 

I would genuinely love to see how our recruitment team operates, who they're watching, what their meetings are like. It must be abysmal 
    Yes, I have seen Thomas in the last two games and I've also seen him about 20 other times which has given me enough data to come to the conclusion that Thomas is a car crash waiting to happen which is why most of his games played in his career have been for Woking and Wimbledon.

who are we going to get in January that will be a long term fixture in the team?

He has been deployed as a make shift left back. When he has played centre back the last couple of games, he has looked no different to Hector. Both OK defenders at this level but we need better. 

We don't need to repair the leaking roof, as we are in literally no danger of going down, what's the point in spending wages on a potentially, slightly better, older defender to secure mid table? We are probably going to do that regardless. 

We need players to come in and be better, you can't say you're not content with mediocrity and then say you wouldn't mind a washed up journey man in the same post to 'fix a leak'?

Hector has been on a different level to Thomas the last few games. Thomas has done ok, he should have dealt with the Cambridge corner goal but other than that has done a job. But Hector has been very good. There is a clear difference in ability between the 2 of them, do you ignore all work a centre back does with the ball at his feet? Hector is a better defender than Thomas but on the ball he’s another level 

We need a centre back that is at least as good as Jones and Hector, so that we don’t have to drop to the level of Thomas/Ness when there is an injury. 

Caleb Taylor has been mentioned, a good signing imo but probably won’t be able to bring him in until late in the window as WBA will lose Ajayi to AFCON so won’t want to lose another CB. If Jones is back this week then we can probably afford to wait if he is our first choice target 
    Different level?! 

Appreciate the thought for others mate, but pretty sure everyone knows the results of those games now :-)
  • MrBurns said:
    I think talk his signing is imminent may be premature.
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I disagree.

Different level?! 

Maybe judge with your eyes not the who scored ratings😂 they mean nothing, I can go on FotMob and Hector is better than Thomas in both games. 

How are whoscored picking up Thomas costing us a goal against Cambridge? They aren’t. 

Pass accuracy means nothing, Hector passes more forwards/long so is more likely to lose the ball. 

Thomas won 4/11 aerial duels, 4 out of 11!!! Hector won 1/1 and also won all his ground duels. Presenting that as 4v1 is ridiculous. Looks like Barnsley were targeting Thomas because they know he’s shit 

You present these stats as if they mean something, but the only thing they tell me is that you don’t know/understand how to use these stats. Ask any fan who doesn’t have Hector-hate glasses on and they will tell you that Hector has been our best player recently and Thomas is bang average 
    If you are watching much of the game via your mobile screen you undoubtedly have the worst view in the stadium. 
     Not really, it's the same view as if you're watching a 40" TV that's 6-8 feet away. Unless you're 6-8 feet from the mobile phone.

In respect to online ratings, they're unbiased. Your eyes are biased, no matter how much you believe you're an impartial spectator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Braziliance - your continued use of "who scored" is not only boring but does not give a true reflection as pointed out by NabySarr although I admit that I do use some of those stats in the Statbank but only as I can't find another source.
    Boring, but you do realise it's the metric used by every official social media account from EFL league pages? 

It gives a far more realistic showing than anything else. 

I appreciate the work you do on the stat Bank thread (I suspect this may be why you keep quoting my posts?) But it doesn't compare to apps that actually track every little detail players do through the game.

People could score a 1 or a 10 on the stat threads and it's extremely unlikely those kind of stats can be used. 

Again I appreciate your stat tracks but Hector being motm on them does not qualify as genuine man of the match awards. 

NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I disagree.

Different level?! 

The cognitive dissonance of the bloke who says he doesn't believe there's any value in xG presenting stats from whoscored as a gotcha is blowing out all my synapses

I said on an earlier thread, that xG is irrelevant as ultimately it doesn't effect the outcome of the match.

I enjoy individual ratings more as I believe they paint a truer picture and the likelihood is, if you score high you probably played well. Having a high xG doesn't mean a team necessarily played well, or a low xG bad for that matter.

There's no gotcha here, I'm 32 mate, bit old for that. Just sharing my views and then backing it up with the most popular football stat tracking website.
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I disagree.

Different level?! 

Better by a whole 0.2. By your own words, is that a different level? 

Btw no official social media pages or club accounts go by fotmob, all go by whoscored. 

Pass accuracy means nothing? That simply can't be true because you keep highlighting centre backs in this leagues low passing accuracy being a big deal? So it either is or it isn't, or do you only use those stats to fuel your argument?

Yes I'm sure that was Barnsley strategy. Encourage Thomas for an aerial dual because he's shit. It could easily be twisted to say that Hector doesn't have the bottle to go for headers so Thomas had to instead? As Hector rarely challenge headers we will never know. 

Hector hate glasses? I don't hate him, I just want Charlton to do well and I think we can do better. Hector our best player? Why do I need to ask other people that when I can have my own view and then look at official stats to validate my opinions.

It's such a ridiculous thing to say to me to judge with my eyes when I record the game, watch the game with two people every game more or less, discuss it with them on the way home and then watch back the footage. Like come on mate 
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I disagree.

Different level?! 

Literally doesn't make any sense, just another cheap dig about me vlogging (unless you're being humorous) as I tend to watch the game over the camera and record at the same time. I then watch the game back when I get home as I like to. 

Anyway that's genuinely my final post on this matter for a bit, not even being dramatic or grumpy, I've bored myself of posting now but feel compelled to everytime I am being quoted as I don't want to be rude. Time for a break on discussing Hector

Apologies for the clutter to those expecting rumours, everyone have a nice Christmas and if anyone is genuinely getting annoyed by me just come and see me in person, I am approachable and like talking about Charlton. Texts are always harder to read how someone is expressing themselves.
  • If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    I disagree.

Great play on my Words there 👏🏻 
  • Hector posted a picture of the winning team today in training and one player has an emoji covering their face….could be nothing. Let’s play guess the clown 
  • Hector posted a picture of the winning team today in training and one player has an emoji covering their face….could be nothing. Let’s play guess the clown 
    kind of looks like Kirk but would be odd to do that 

• Sponsored links:

• A. Trialist 
  • ButtleJR said:
    I'm going to go Ronan Curtis. 
    Isn’t he training at Wimbledon? 
  • ButtleJR said:
    He’s training at AFC Wimbledon 
  • fenaddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Isn’t he training at Wimbledon?