Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    I’ll welcome him with open arms if he’s the difference between keeping a few clean sheets and not between now and the summer.

I said earlier in this thread that I don’t really care too much in the short term about who we get in to better the defence because it’s such a long running issue for us.

Build for the future yes. That’s how you plan for success long term. But we can’t do that at the expense of improving the team in its most deficit areas in the short term.
  • If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Yeah ok …… Bauer wages would blow our FFP.. more likey to do with wages and restrictions in league one … 
  • If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Yeah ok …… Bauer wages would blow our FFP.. more likey to do with wages and restrictions in league one … 
    Why? It would be a loan with wages subsidised by Preston. If we can afford tedic, we can afford Bauer.
  • Not sure how well Mitchell is progressing. I wouldn’t want to rely on him next season as he’s still very young and unproven. 
  • We bloody love a squad player on here!
  • Chunes said:
    We bloody love a squad player on here!
    So you would be happy with a squad of 11?

jones and hector are our first choice central defenders. Jones got injured as did our third choice centre back who has been shit this season.

we are playing out 4th choice centre back.

we have recalled our 5th or 6th choice centre back to sit on the bench

remind me, why is having a competitive squad bad?
  • Chunes said:
    Quite right too given our luck with injuries 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    Quite right too given our luck with injuries 😉
    There’s no such thing as luck ;-)
  • Caulker as depth until the end of the season allowing Ness to go and play regularly out on loan and get his confidence back , would be perfectly happy with that. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

jones and hector are our first choice central defenders. Jones got injured as did our third choice centre back who has been shit this season.

We're 9 points off the play-offs... We need better players who will improve the team immediately, not cover. Our current first choices can be the cover!
    And they grow on trees in January?
  • edited December 2023
    If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    Exactly. So if we did sign him, it would be fuck all to do with his age and only because we can't afford him.

If Caulker signs, it's very telling.
  • edited December 2023
    If we aren't interested in Bauer because of 'age' and then go ahead and sign Caulker. That will tell you everything you need to know about this mob. 
    I disagree.

ness is struggling and Thomas isn't good enough as third choice.

sometimes you need a 6 month fix to see you through the season and then get a young target that fits the mould in the summer. Caulker is more than capable of being that third choice cover short term and is better and has played a lot higher than ness/thomas has and will. I think Mitchell will be used more next year, therefore, a short term replacement will work.

if caulker was given a 2.5 year deal then I would agree with you. 
    Have you actually been watching the past few games mate? Thomas has come in to the team and replaced Jones adequately. We don't need someone like Caulker when we have Thomas. We already need to replace Hector, so we currently have 0 Charlton centre backs made for the future, but we want a bloke who we can't say for sure can replace our current centre back choices? We need THE man for THE job, not a bloke to cover a crack.

How are we still this content with mediocrity? It actually drives me nuts. 

Why does no one seem to be angry or bothered that every year we sign the same type of players? There's literally 0 thought into how we recruit players.

Out of all our best 3 current players, one was recommended by our ex owners clueless son? One basically done the groundwork himself to get signed and I'm not going to give them credit for finding the best striker in the league. 

I would genuinely love to see how our recruitment team operates, who they're watching, what their meetings are like. It must be abysmal 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Neither Caulker or Bauer are what we need. We need players that are ready to go and that sounds like what we are looking for

If it comes to the summer and they are available then that could be a different story as we can give them a full pre-season to get ready. But for January we need players that will sign and be available to play the next game 
    Yep need to sign ready to go players, i'm not convinced Caulker comes into that category, if we do sign him that would basically the owners saying this season is over, and we have given up on it.
  • From memory in the last window players arrived, Alfie excepted, without our knowledge as the Scott played it very close to his chests - will it be so in January ????
  • Is ‘pay as you play’ still a thing in football?
  • seth plum said:
    Is ‘pay as you play’ still a thing in football?
    It's incredibly rare
    I disagree.

ness is struggling and Thomas isn't good enough as third choice.

sometimes you need a 6 month fix to see you through the season and then get a young target that fits the mould in the summer. Caulker is more than capable of being that third choice cover short term and is better and has played a lot higher than ness/thomas has and will. I think Mitchell will be used more next year, therefore, a short term replacement will work.

if caulker was given a 2.5 year deal then I would agree with you. 
    Have you actually been watching the past few games mate? Thomas has come in to the team and replaced Jones adequately. We don't need someone like Caulker when we have Thomas. We already need to replace Hector, so we currently have 0 Charlton centre backs made for the future, but we want a bloke who we can't say for sure can replace our current centre back choices? We need THE man for THE job, not a bloke to cover a crack.

How are we still this content with mediocrity? It actually drives me nuts. 

Why does no one seem to be angry or bothered that every year we sign the same type of players? There's literally 0 thought into how we recruit players.

Out of all our best 3 current players, one was recommended by our ex owners clueless son? One basically done the groundwork himself to get signed and I'm not going to give them credit for finding the best striker in the league. 

I would genuinely love to see how our recruitment team operates, who they're watching, what their meetings are like. It must be abysmal 
    Yes, I have seen Thomas in the last two games and I've also seen him about 20 other times which has given me enough data to come to the conclusion that Thomas is a car crash waiting to happen which is why most of his games played in his career have been for Woking and Wimbledon.

im not content with mediocrity. I am a realist though.

who are we going to get in January that will be a long term fixture in the team?

we need to repair the leaking roof now and then replace the roof in the summer.

caulker would be a better repair than ness and thomas.
  • edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

We're 9 points off the play-offs... We need better players who will improve the team immediately, not cover. Our current first choices can be the cover!
    To reach the play-offs we now need a points average of 1.8 points per game. That means us basically becoming near enough the best team in the division for the rest of the season. That is not going to happen by signing squad players, but another mid-table finish will. I know there's no way you're content with that. 

The club (via Cawley) and the manager have all been bigging up this window so I don't know why we'd set our expectations lower than them. I've had enough of this mediocrity and having nothing to play for in the final four months of the season. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

To reach the play-offs we now need a points average of 1.8 points per game. That means us basically becoming near enough the best team in the division for the rest of the season. That is not going to happen by signing squad players, but another mid-table finish will. I know there's no way you're content with that. 

The club (via Cawley) and the manager have all been bigging up this window so I don't know why we'd set our expectations lower than them. I've had enough of this mediocrity and having nothing to play for in the final four months of the season. 
    January is a difficult window. The good loans and frees were signed in the summer which leaves transfer fees. These are over inflated in January.

i expect bodies to be added but not an increase in quality. If this was a summer window I would have different expectation levels. 
  • edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

January is a difficult window. The good loans and frees were signed in the summer which leaves transfer fees. These are over inflated in January.

i expect bodies to be added but not an increase in quality. If this was a summer window I would have different expectation levels. 
    It's one thing to 'expect' and it's another to be ok with it. Are you genuinely ok with signing squad players and having another mid-table finish, with our season over at the halfway point?
  • Chunes said:
    It's one thing to 'expect' and it's another to be ok with it. Are you genuinely ok with signing squad players and having another mid-table finish, with our season over at the halfway point?
    I can't imagine anyone is ok with it but what are we going to do about it? We all know exactly how January is going to go.