Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    I know nothing about them but the below are all out of contract in the summer and currently play in L1 with a highish value tag attached to them by TransferMarket.com.

We have been linked to Kane, Kerr, Cadden and Humphreys in the last I think albeit I guess everyone of our previous recruitment lot will have left.

Harrison Burrows - LB
    Tom McIntyre 
    Callum Connolly - CB and LB
    Herbie Kane - midfield
    Jason Kerr - CB
    Sonny Carey
    Nicky Cadden - LB
    Lasse Sorenson
    Owen Moxon - midfield
    Stephen Humphrys - striker

• I know nothing about them but the below are all out of contract in the summer and currently okay in L1 with a highish value tag attached to them by TransferMarket.com.

We have been linked to Kane, Kerr, Cadden and Humphreys in the last I think albeit I guess everyone of our previous recruitment lot will have left.

Harrison Burrows 
    Ovie Ejaria 
    Tom McIntyre 
    Marvin Ekpiteta
    Callum Connolly
    Herbie Kane
    Jason Kerr
    Sonny Carey
    Nicky Cadden
    Lasse Sorenson
    Owen Nixon
    Stephen Humphrys

Ejaria is now without a club, mutually terminated with Reading this evening 
  • edited December 2023
    Yeah, saw that but then deleted him from the list given how injury prone he is!  Ekpiteta was also stripped of Blackpool captaincy by Appleton so that is a non starter too I guess.

The others would be interesting targets at knock down prices in Jan maybe...?
  • CBT heading overseas ?
    Don't think so
  • Yeah, saw that but then deleted him from the list given how injury prone he is!  Ekpiteta was also stripped of Blackpool captaincy by Appleton so that is a non starter too I guess.

The others would be interesting targets at knock down prices in Jan maybe...?
    I saw that and stuck £20 on us signing him  :D
  • Any good / too good for us?
  • fenaddick said:
    I think we can rule out us buying any players from competitors like Barnsley etc.

What we really need to do, for long term sustainability, is find the good players while they're cheaper before the competition does.
    CBT is a great example of this, still have no idea how we pulled that one off
    He came to us and offered his services on a trial basis didn’t he?
  • edited December 2023
    Yeah CBT was a free agent that came and paid to stay down here on trial and backed himself to earn a deal. 
  • edited December 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Yeah CBT was a free agent that came and paid to stay down here on trial and backed himself to earn a deal. 
    He was actually on trial at Wigan, and they wanted to sign him, but they wasn't quick enough in getting a deal done, and come on trial to us, and then we signed him. He didn't want to sign a new deal with Tranmere, but he wanted to test himself at a higher level. So might be the case again this summer, unless he thinks he can do that with Charlton.. So the begin of the window, in what we do in the market, might decide CBT future. 
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

This is what I think we need to aim for in January. With a new centre back and striker on the bench also. So probably 5 signings. Would like another left back if possible, but 6 signings is maybe pushing it too much for a January window 

Add a NEW CB and I don’t think that’s too far off what MA is hoping for. 
    Yeah the new CB could go into the 11, but depends on how good they are/if Hector keeps playing well. I quite like Hector and Jones as a partnership though, think they complement each other well and now Hector’s sorted himself out I don’t think we desperately need to change it. 

If we get good players in the other 3 new roles the team will improve defensively, I think that’s more of a problem now than the back 4 who I think are all playing well now. 

A midfielder that offers more protection than Fraser and a striker that can hold the ball up so that it doesn’t just come straight back at us will make more of a difference in my opinion than a new CB unless they are a miles better than Hector/Jones 
    Complement each other well, apart from us conceding soft goals almost weekly and looking incredibly vulnerable to set pieces. Hector has had two consecutive decent games. Needs to a lot more than that before he can be declared to have "sorted himself out". We obviously will not/cannot replace them all in January, but, given our frankly amateurish defending at time this season and how many points it has cost us, none of AMB, T Watson, Hector, Jones, or Edun should be considered above replacement/upgrade if we are serious about building a promotion challenging team. 
    Three MotMs in a row (two alongside Thomas I think) and his interventions have led to several goals in recent games, He’s looked above our level in those games. 
    People forget that when he joined us he’d hardly played a match over the previous season in the Premier League, so signing him was a bit of a gamble. And rarely for Charlton, this might be a gamble that pays off. (Although he was a key part of Fulham’s Chapionship winning side of course). Was the previous player to win three MotMs in a row Dobson or May?
    And as several posters have already mentioned, defending is a team thing, and our midfield have left the back four exposed all season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    He was actually on trial at Wigan, and they wanted to sign him, but they wasn't quick enough in getting a deal done, and come on trial to us, and then we signed him. He didn't want to sign a new deal with Tranmere, but he wanted to test himself at a higher level. So might be the case again this summer, unless he thinks he can do that with Charlton.. So the begin of the window, in what we do in the market, might decide CBT future. 

Cheers for the more in depth answer, I didn't know about the Wigan stuff back then , I knew there was interest from them last Jan. 

I could quite easily see some early in the window bids for him come in just to test the waters and see how much he wants to stay. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Cheers for the more in depth answer, I didn't know about the Wigan stuff back then , I knew there was interest from them last Jan. 

I could quite easily see some early in the window bids for him come in just to test the waters and see how much he wants to stay. 
    If he is sold, it will be at the end of the window I would have thought. 
  • Did Wigan really want to sign him, or was it more the case that they couldn’t make their mind up? Only asking because if they were about to sign him, but he decided to take a chance on Charlton and funded his trial himself, then either he didn’t like something in the Wigan set up, or wanted a move south. Or he suspected Wigan didn’t really want him and were faffing about. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:

End of the window would be my nightmare scenario, trying to replace a player like CBT with 2-3 days left would be a horrible situation. 
  • Michael Hector is a good player. Has had some uncharacteristic brain off moments and one of bad luck which led to several goals is consecutive matches. Keeps his head together now he's playing well, very good defender. 

Not quite the vocal leader of the back line many people seem to want. 
    I think there has been an improvement in Hectors form, initially mistakes cost goals but that has changed to mistakes that didn't cost so dear. He has also abandoned short passes and has made some good long passes out of defence and some plain hoof ball clearances. Its taken a while but he's getting there.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Did Wigan really want to sign him, or was it more the case that they couldn’t make their mind up? Only asking because if they were about to sign him, but he decided to take a chance on Charlton and funded his trial himself, then either he didn’t like something in the Wigan set up, or wanted a move south. Or he suspected Wigan didn’t really want him and were faffing about. 
    I understand they wanted to sign him.. Not sure about the whole funding a trial, as far as I am aware, that is the case for most players, unless the club it self asks the player to come.. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:

End of the window would be my nightmare scenario, trying to replace a player like CBT with 2-3 days left would be a horrible situation. 
    If he was to go at the end of the window, we would have already got someone in I would have thought. 
  • CBT heading overseas ?
    Sheppey-Isle of dogs-Isle of Wight
  • My view: CBT is playing the best football of his career with us; he’s not going anywhere.
  • CBT heading overseas ?
    Sheppey-Isle of dogs-Isle of Wight
    Portsmouth?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    Any good / too good for us?
    In terms of natural ability - too good for us. Injuries/off field issues mean he is very obtainable.
  • I hope AS rings Palace and asks about JRS. I think he's only had one game and was pulled, and been on the subs bench and not used.  If its a 1% chance its still worth a phone call
  • I hope AS rings Palace and asks about JRS. I think he's only had one game and was pulled, and been on the subs bench and not used.  If its a 1% chance its still worth a phone call
    Hes injured i think - out for most of the season 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Did Wigan really want to sign him, or was it more the case that they couldn’t make their mind up? Only asking because if they were about to sign him, but he decided to take a chance on Charlton and funded his trial himself, then either he didn’t like something in the Wigan set up, or wanted a move south. Or he suspected Wigan didn’t really want him and were faffing about. 
    I understand they wanted to sign him.. Not sure about the whole funding a trial, as far as I am aware, that is the case for most players, unless the club it self asks the player to come.. 
    I think the unusual thing was that he approached Charlton, rather than the other way round. It was sold as something unusual at the time. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think the unusual thing was that he approached Charlton, rather than the other way round. It was sold as something unusual at the time. 
    Yes, that's what I mean.. normally clubs would only invite non league players on trial. 
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    A bit like last year, if we aren’t within touching distance of the play offs we are going to struggle to sign anyone good 

It continues to be catch 22.
    Dobson and Corey Blackett-Taylor (*Despite what a few donuts say on CL) are players who could get  decent contracts in the Championship even if they are at mid table 2nd tier clubs. (As opposed to a mid table, 3rd tier club !)
    Intent would be giving both their best contracts so far in their careers but I'm not confident that will happen unless they can convince the pair that the team will be stronger next season.

The rule is you improve results when you bring in better player than the ones who leave - NO shit Sherlock- But in CAFC case, if Terry Taylor and Camará are injured all the time then being better than Morgan counts for naught.

Seeing Stevenage in the mix just adds to the frustration.

* The 2 or 3 on CL who think he is useless !
  • Any good / too good for us?

A mate of mine is a big Reading fan and whilst talented apparently Ejaria has a bit of a stinking attitude but is a very good player, is also an attacking midfielder where we probably aren't exactly short on numbers. I don't expect us to go in for him which probably means we're going to announce his signing in the comings days, I don't think he's actually played much football in the last 12 months either 
  • Considering we are unlikely to get anything but a minimal fee with CBT being available for free in the summer I hope we keep him. 

I am not ready to throw in the towel yet on our season and I hope the decision makers at our club agree. 
  • Noise from my Pompey mate is that they're interested in CBT. He's highly rated down there and would be a decent addition for their promotion push. I'd normally say b*llocks but where they used to be fan owned there's a few people down there in the know.