Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Sign the best players from league one. It’s not cheap but if we want promotion we need to do it. 
    or you buy players from the Championship who have potential, or excellent League 2 players, and there is room for loans, don't have the aversion some have
  • I'm not aware of us signing any players from non league for a while. Given the successes we've had previously I'm surprised we're not taking more punts at that level.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    ross1 said:
    BFG anyone, not getting a game for Preston, out of contract end of season, early 30s

Would be ideal if he's fit. Has struggled with injuries a lot since going there
    Excellent, would fit right in!
  • While we need to build long term, it's far too early to write off this season. We're way off the automatics places, but a strong second half to the season could easily see us make the playoffs.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Just listened to SLP pod with Rich C
    Few interesting points:
    1. Abankwah definitely being recalled
    2. Tedic likely to go back to Man City
    3. Looking at a couple of strikers
    4. Want more permanent signings, will loan if need be
    And interest in CBT from abroad so potential of him signing a ore-contract agreement and then staying until summer
  • PWADDICK said:
    Few interesting points:
    Hopefully that is the case.. Will be tough to do the amount of required business in January.. 

Andy Scott time to prove his value
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Few interesting points:

Points 3 and 4 need to replace Scott’s business from Points 1 and 2 from the end of August  

• edited December 2023
    On the chat about AFC Wimbledon, the host says there is a League One club pursuing Jack Currie. 

Wonder if it could be us, weren’t some Charlton scouts at a Wimbledon game recently. Another left back would be very useful. 
    This is a good link. The last left back we got that had spent some time at Wimbledon didn't turn out too bad

Only Owen Moxon completed more tackles than Currie last season, young player and has an average match rating of 7.07 this season. A league difference but, better than Tayo, comparatively in every aspect. Tayo just edges him attacking wise.

Had championship interest previously. 

• Very good defensively. Would be a brilliant signing but i think Wimbledon would want at least £1m for him so i think it’s unlikely 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    ross1 said:
    BFG anyone, not getting a game for Preston, out of contract end of season, early 30s

Would be ideal if he's fit. Has struggled with injuries a lot since going there. 
    Looks like he'll be back with us then.
  • Great result for Aldershot last night. Joshua Stokes looks a prospect for them. Check out the highlights. Local team for me so tempted to be part of the 3rd round and head to the Hawthorns 
  • NabySarr said:

Very good defensively. Would be a brilliant signing but i think Wimbledon would want at least £1m for him so i think it’s unlikely 
    Be absolutely amazed if a league one full back, no matter how good he is, goes for anywhere near a million.
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:

Very good defensively. Would be a brilliant signing but i think Wimbledon would want at least £1m for him so i think it’s unlikely 
    Be absolutely amazed if a league one full back, no matter how good he is, goes for anywhere near a million.
    They rejected plenty of bids from Bristol City a year ago and were rumoured to be holding out for near a million 
  • NabySarr said:

L2 isn't he?
  • NabySarr said:

L2 isn't he?
    Fair point!
  • I would try and sign whichever centre half has given Alfie May the hardest time this season. Our centre halves seem to have the most trouble with quick and mobile strikers rather than the big lumps.
  • sm said:
    Sounds to me like Appleton is putting pressure on the board to back him. I'm not convinced that they will.
    They will .. hoping to buy centre half from WBA talks are going on 
    Says the man who raved about how good were Abankwah, Tedic and C Campbell.
    He is a wum, no more no less.
  • No to Bauer, on the decline, injury prone, big wages, not a player to build with. 

Don't want to ruin the good memories I have of him and like Hector, we can do better.
    Agree about Bauer, but bored of this anti Hector bandwagon now. Of course we can do better, that applies to every player in the squad, with the possible exception of Alfie, but as @Garrymanilow explained, our goals conceded issue is systemic, rather than down to one player. Bloke’s improved his consistency a lot over recent weeks, and has been MotM twice in a row, so I don’t understand this desperation to get rid. 
    As I’ve said before, if they can sign a player who offers more, then great, and a player like Santos definitely would, but a player of his quality costs big money, and I don’t see us spending big anytime soon. If we can sign another good, solid CB like Jones, ok, but you’d miss Hec’s range of passing and ball carrying imho.