Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• I have finally got around to watching Welcome to Wrexham. It is good to see what engaged, enthusiastic ownership can achieve. Players like Mullin and Elliott Lee talking about “a project” and were obviously willing to drop down a level or two when paid attractive money.
  •                    AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

This is what I think we need to aim for in January. With a new centre back and striker on the bench also. So probably 5 signings. Would like another left back if possible, but 6 signings is maybe pushing it too much for a January window 

• NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

This is what I think we need to aim for in January. With a new centre back and striker on the bench also. So probably 5 signings. Would like another left back if possible, but 6 signings is maybe pushing it too much for a January window 

Add a NEW CB and I don’t think that’s too far off what MA is hoping for. 
  • NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Yeah the new CB could go into the 11, but depends on how good they are/if Hector keeps playing well. I quite like Hector and Jones as a partnership though, think they complement each other well and now Hector’s sorted himself out I don’t think we desperately need to change it. 

If we get good players in the other 3 new roles the team will improve defensively, I think that’s more of a problem now than the back 4 who I think are all playing well now. 

A midfielder that offers more protection than Fraser and a striker that can hold the ball up so that it doesn’t just come straight back at us will make more of a difference in my opinion than a new CB unless they are a miles better than Hector/Jones 
  • NabySarr said:

Very good defensively. Would be a brilliant signing but i think Wimbledon would want at least £1m for him so i think it’s unlikely 
    Be absolutely amazed if a league one full back, no matter how good he is, goes for anywhere near a million.
    Carl Jenkinson
  • NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Seeing as we can't keep a clean sheet for toffee I think a few new defenders might help......otherwise it’s same old same old  
    Yeah I’d like a couple of new ones so that we aren’t playing the likes of Thomas when there’s 1 injury, if they are good enough to start above what we have then that’s great. 

I don’t think the back 4 are the problem anymore though, I’ve said it above but I think a new midfielder that is better defensively than Fraser, and a new striker that holds the ball up well so that it doesn’t just come straight back at us will improve our defence more than changing the back 4 in my opinion. 
  • NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Seeing as we can't keep a clean sheet for toffee I think a few new defenders might help......otherwise its same old same old  
    I’ve of the opinion that inability to clean sheets is as much to do about the tactics as it is the personal, you can replace the whole back four and play the same way and allow team counter us for 3 on 2 breaks and they will carry on making mistakes and shipping goals 
  • NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Agree with this. One thing I found interesting in the “A Day with Tayo Edun” video was that he started off as a central midfielder, and was converted to a LB by Appleton only a few years ago. 

I wonder if he could play alongside Dobbo as a double pivot. I would hope that we are another left back even if it’s cover for Edun. But wouldn’t be surprised to see us utilise Edun’s versatility at some point.   
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Agree with this. One thing I found interesting in the “A Day with Tayo Edun” video was that he started off as a central midfielder, and was converted to a LB by Appleton only a few years ago. 

I wonder if he could play alongside Dobbo as a double pivot. I would hope that we are another left back even if it’s cover for Edun. But wouldn’t be surprised to see us utilise Edun’s versatility at some point.   
    I don't know if Edun has quite enough about him to be an effective central midfielder as he's better with the game in front of him, but the way he constantly cuts in and runs into traffic in the middle I think he sort of forgets he's not a central midfielder anymore when he gets the ball.
  • NabySarr said:
    Michael Hector is a good player. Has had some uncharacteristic brain off moments and one of bad luck which led to several goals is consecutive matches. Keeps his head together now he's playing well, very good defender. 

Not quite the vocal leader of the back line many people seem to want. 
    Don’t think our first choice back 4 is that bad at all now. Maybe Edun is a bit suspect defensively sometimes but he does offer a lot with the ball. The other 3 have been playing consistently well 

Problem is the lack of help from the players in front, at the moment we are playing Fraser next to Dobson and then 4 attacking players, it’s not balanced. 

And the other issue is our lack of depth so if any of that back 4 are injured like Jones at the moment, we are then in huge trouble 
    Pretty spot on, and I’ve been saying the same for some time. I think we have five good defenders, but that includes Thomas who is decent squad member rather than first choice. Ness I’m not ruling out completely, but I suspect he needs a year or two at a smaller club or in a lower league. It would be great if he could rediscover his early form though. 
  • NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Holden tried him there against Oxford and it didn’t work but that could have been more down to Edun not being fit. 

I like him at left back though, and he often moves into central midfield areas from there anyway which works quite well to give us an extra man and leave CBT to offer the width on the left 
  • Would be happy if we signed Barnsley’s Luke Connell, based on what we saw on Saturday, and his reputation. Barnsley fans are worried about losing Devante Cole and Herbie Kane as well. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Would be happy if we signed Barnsley’s Luke Connell, based on what we saw on Saturday, and his reputation. Barnsley fans are worried about losing Devante Cole and Herbie Kane as well. 
    I always thought Herbie Kane was slightly too good for this level, feels like a lower Championship player.
    Sidenote, I had no idea Devante Cole was Andy Cole's son!
  • I think we can rule out us buying any players from competitors like Barnsley etc.

What we really need to do, for long term sustainability, is find the good players while they're cheaper before the competition does.
    CBT is a great example of this, still have no idea how we pulled that one off
  • I think we can rule out us buying any players from competitors like Barnsley etc.

What we really need to do, for long term sustainability, is find the good players while they're cheaper before the competition does.
    We have already done that with May and Jones. Taylor and McGrandles are in that bracket as well but with both suffering injuries with us that goes in the back burner for now 
  • shirty5 said:
    I think we can rule out us buying any players from competitors like Barnsley etc.

We have already done that with May and Jones. Taylor and McGrandles are in that bracket as well but with both suffering injuries with us that goes in the back burner for now 
    May and Jones did not come from competitors, they're both relegation battle fodder and Jones was free. Taylor from Burton was because he was out of contract and they're currently below Cambridge in the table. Lincoln finished in the bottom half the season before we signed McGrandles (also on a free I think?). 
  • edited December 2023
    fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    I think we can rule out us buying any players from competitors like Barnsley etc.

May and Jones did not come from competitors, they're both relegation battle fodder and Jones was free. Taylor from Burton was because he was out of contract and they're currently below Cambridge in the table. Lincoln finished in the bottom half the season before we signed McGrandles (also on a free I think?). 
    They all came from clubs in the same division, how are they not competitors?

You pick up the bargains and quality regardless of what clubs they play for

Mendonca played for Relegation battle fodder in Grimsby when we signed him. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips from fellow League one side in Plymouth Argyle

• Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:

Because the clubs are competing for different things. In the same way that Luton and Man City aren't competitors really. Pretty sure Callum was talking about promotion contenders
  • fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:

Because the clubs are competing for different things. In the same way that Luton and Man City aren't competitors really. Pretty sure Callum was talking about promotion contenders
    Who would have had Stevenage up where they are at the start of the season. Everyone is a competitor at this level 
  • shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    shirty5 said:

Who would have had Stevenage up where they are at the start of the season. Everyone is a competitor at this level 
    I did! As much as I wouldn't want him at Charlton Steve Evans is a good manager at this level who gets a certain level of players to over achieve. I don't think many of the Stevenage players would do well in our squad though
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
                       AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
                  NEW Dobson 
         NEW       May       CBT
                       NEW

Yeah the new CB could go into the 11, but depends on how good they are/if Hector keeps playing well. I quite like Hector and Jones as a partnership though, think they complement each other well and now Hector’s sorted himself out I don’t think we desperately need to change it. 

If we get good players in the other 3 new roles the team will improve defensively, I think that’s more of a problem now than the back 4 who I think are all playing well now. 

A midfielder that offers more protection than Fraser and a striker that can hold the ball up so that it doesn’t just come straight back at us will make more of a difference in my opinion than a new CB unless they are a miles better than Hector/Jones 
    Complement each other well, apart from us conceding soft goals almost weekly and looking incredibly vulnerable to set pieces. Hector has had two consecutive decent games. Needs to a lot more than that before he can be declared to have "sorted himself out". We obviously will not/cannot replace them all in January, but, given our frankly amateurish defending at time this season and how many points it has cost us, none of AMB, T Watson, Hector, Jones, or Edun should be considered above replacement/upgrade if we are serious about building a promotion challenging team. 
  • Interesting that Carlisle have agreed a deal in advance for Luke Armstrong from Harrogate Town.

Here's hoping we have some in comings already agreed.
  • Interesting that Carlisle have agreed a deal in advance for Luke Armstrong from Harrogate Town.

Marquee signing and fighting off Wrexham so an easy win for their new owners there!

A win for the player too, as he now gets Christmas off  :D
  • I have finally got around to watching Welcome to Wrexham. It is good to see what engaged, enthusiastic ownership can achieve. Players like Mullin and Elliott Lee talking about “a project” and were obviously willing to drop down a level or two when paid attractive money.
    This. All we have to do is pay Championship money in League 1 and we'll get promoted chaps. 

It was nothing to do with the additional brand deals etc the players have got by being part of the Hollywood club.
  • CBT heading overseas ?