Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Looked like he was signed to play in a back 3, which we then stopped playing. A sign of the lack of joined up thinking from Scott so far and another poor signing for his record 
    Not sure how it's Scott's fault. He would have consulted with the manager first. It's not Scott's fault that the manager at the time lost it and got sacked, resulting in a new manager being appointed and a new formation being played
    I thought the idea these days was you sign players to play a certain system and get a manager to play that system. Hence when a manager fails you just get another to play the same system and so there is no constant change of players. Therefore it’s Scott’s fault for getting in the wrong manager.
    Wasn't the manager appointed by sandgaard before Scott arrived?

I can't remember the dates now and can't be bothered to look them up
  • NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Looked like he was signed to play in a back 3, which we then stopped playing. A sign of the lack of joined up thinking from Scott so far and another poor signing for his record 
    Not sure how it's Scott's fault. He would have consulted with the manager first. It's not Scott's fault that the manager at the time lost it and got sacked, resulting in a new manager being appointed and a new formation being played
    I thought the idea these days was you sign players to play a certain system and get a manager to play that system. Hence when a manager fails you just get another to play the same system and so there is no constant change of players. Therefore it’s Scott’s fault for getting in the wrong manager.

SE7 appointed Holden initially but Sandgaard kept him on. Holden started this season with Scott sourcing the players to play his system. SE7 sacked Holden but brought in Appleton, now playing a different system to Holden.
  • NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:

SE7 appointed Holden initially but Sandgaard kept him on. Holden started this season with Scott sourcing the players to play his system. SE7 sacked Holden but brought in Appleton, now playing a different system to Holden.
    So if Holden was deemed the problem rather than the system, why waste time and money on a new system and manager?  Regardless, the slump has been going on far too long which suggests a cultural issues as others have suggested so the system and manager doesn’t matter anyway. Sad times ☹️
  • NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:

Were Holden and Scott appointed on the same day?

onviously that doesn't mean Scott was consulted  or involved in holdens appointment, I'm  just trying remember what happened
  • edited December 2023
    supaclive said:
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

There's being positive @Callumcafc and then there's being plan daft!

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
    I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 
    Yes, it's a bit of a flaw with the squad that our best 2 attacking players suit different systems, CBT a 433 with a mobile target man number 9, while May suits a 352 alongside a physical target man. Never mind Miles, what May needs is Carl Leaburn!

Play 352, and you either leave CBT out or play him at wing back exposing his poor defensive qualities.

Play 433 and May
    1) is battling in the centre against giant centre backs
    2) played out wide, with the risk that he's too far away from the box, or
    3) played as a Number 10, leaving us with a 2 man midfield likely to be overrun.
    Exactly my thought process mate, I would simply build the team around May though purely due to how potent he is and being our player in the 'long' term. 

CBT could be off and we are stuffed again. May needs a strike partner to build an understanding with.
    What if May leaves or gets injured this season? Kind of put all your eggs in one basket and messed it up with your thinking.
    Well let me ask you, not to compare Alfie May to Salah or Saka, but rather his importance to the team, do you think Liverpool and Arsenal worry about a player getting injured.

That would seriously hinder a club. You buy the players that suit the formation, that suits the key man. You then have a short list or squad players that can replicate said player or play multiple formations, to switch it up in this instance. That's how a proper club is run.

If you start worrying about injuries you'll never be a settled side. Unfortunately you need to just hope luck is on your side a bit, that's the nature of football.
  • Like the idea of getting a young talented fast goal scoring winger in (the Stockport lad) if we have to replace CBT
  • edited December 2023
    The only way Lewisham born Olaofe is coming here is if he walks into the Stockport boardroom and sings the “Stockport’s a shithole, I wanna go home” song
  • The only way Lewisham born Olaofe is coming here is if he walks into the Stockport boardroom and sings the “Stockport’s a shithole, I wanna go home” song
    Which would be very off with coming from Lewisham.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    Sounds to me like Appleton is putting pressure on the board to back him. I'm not convinced that they will.
    They will .. hoping to buy centre half from WBA talks are going on 
  • supaclive said:
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
    I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 
    Yes, it's a bit of a flaw with the squad that our best 2 attacking players suit different systems, CBT a 433 with a mobile target man number 9, while May suits a 352 alongside a physical target man. Never mind Miles, what May needs is Carl Leaburn!

Play 352, and you either leave CBT out or play him at wing back exposing his poor defensive qualities.

Play 433 and May
    3) played as a Number 10, leaving us with a 2 man midfield likely to be overrun.
    Exactly my thought process mate, I would simply build the team around May though purely due to how potent he is and being our player in the 'long' term. 

CBT could be off and we are stuffed again. May needs a strike partner to build an understanding with.
    What if May leaves or gets injured this season? Kind of put all your eggs in one basket and messed it up with your thinking.
    Well let me ask you, not to compare Alfie May to Salah or Saka, but rather his importance to the team, do you think Liverpool and Arsenal worry about a player getting injured.

That would seriously hinder a club. You buy the players that suit the formation, that suits the key man. You then have a short list or squad players that can replicate said player or play multiple formations, to switch it up in this instance. That's how a proper club is run.

If you start worrying about injuries you'll never be a settled side. Unfortunately you need to just hope luck is on your side a bit, that's the nature of football.
    Wish you would make up your mind,one minute you say build you team around Alfie May. 
    I haven’t compared Alfie May to anyone , you have.

• edited December 2023
    supaclive said:

Play 433 and May

Wish you would make up your mind,one minute you say build you team around Alfie May. 

I think you've completely misinterpreted my post, which is of course the nature of online messaging. 

- My mind is made up, I believe May is our man to get us out of this league, and with that in mind, would be planning on the best solution to enable him 

- I didn't say you did compare a player to Alfie May. I was asking in regards to your concern on Alf getting injured, do you think other clubs, worry about their players getting injured and disrupting a system/playstyle idea? I imagine not. So no I didn't quite compare Alfie May as a player to Salah or Saka, rather his value to us as a club, like how they are valued and I imagine, their teams are coached to benefit those players.

So, Alfie May as the main man, with a system in place to enable him, with a back up plan and players who could fill in for him IF he was to get injured. If we as a club, were worrying about every key player getting injured, we wouldn't get very far, as injuries are a part of football. 

Hope that's a bit clearer 
  • The only way Lewisham born Olaofe is coming here is if he walks into the Stockport boardroom and sings the “Stockport’s a shithole, I wanna go home” song
    The board reply 'we know that son now get out there and play football.'
  • edited December 2023
    Millwall put buy back and sell on clauses in the deal when they initially agreed to his transfer to Stockport. 

Don’t think this one has any legs but I could be wrong.

How dare you.. 
  • What is it with our fans and wingers? 
  • I don't even recall a Hull winger being mentioned on here and from Transfermarkt they don't have a great deal of wide options in their squad beyond the very talented Jaden Phillogene they got from Villa. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't overly impressed the other night with Newports Coughlin or whatever his name is
  • McLoughlin.....sorry :smile:
  • redbuttle said:
    The only way Lewisham born Olaofe is coming here is if he walks into the Stockport boardroom and sings the “Stockport’s a shithole, I wanna go home” song
    How dare you.. 

I had to suffer Lee for three years as a kid growing up.
  • edited December 2023
    redbuttle said:
    How dare you.. 

Oh dear, poor you..That's a joke by the way.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    How dare you.. 

Oh dear, poor you..
    Perhaps that says more about you, I was brought up in Lee and had a great childhood
  • Bournesnr said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    How dare you.. 

Oh dear, poor you..
    Perhaps that says more about you, I was brought up in Lee and had a great childhood
    Agree. I was brought in Lewisham. Great Times.(my comment was being sarcastic by the way)
  • Idris Kanu looked good for Barnet last night. Very tricky winger with an eye for goal. Ex West Ham youth and did have a failed transfer to Peterborough but still only 24. Could be a decent replacement for CBT. 
    The Newport forward Seb Palmer Holden was also impressive. Tall, proper all action physical centre forward in the Colby Bishop / Dion Charles mould. Only 19. Would be a good option from the bench. 
  • I liked the look of Palmer-Houlden in the League Cup game back in August too.

Unfortunate news is that he’s not Newport’s player - only on loan there from Bristol City so is likely to be more expensive than first thought, if available at all.
  • edited December 2023
    supaclive said:

Play 433 and May

I think you've completely misinterpreted my post, which is of course the nature of online messaging. 

- My mind is made up, I believe May is our man to get us out of this league, and with that in mind, would be planning on the best solution to enable him 

- I didn't say you did compare a player to Alfie May. I was asking in regards to your concern on Alf getting injured, do you think other clubs, worry about their players getting injured and disrupting a system/playstyle idea? I imagine not. So no I didn't quite compare Alfie May as a player to Salah or Saka, rather his value to us as a club, like how they are valued and I imagine, their teams are coached to benefit those players.

So, Alfie May as the main man, with a system in place to enable him, with a back up plan and players who could fill in for him IF he was to get injured. If we as a club, were worrying about every key player getting injured, we wouldn't get very far, as injuries are a part of football. 

Hope that's a bit clearer 
    I think Man City probably do worry about Haarland getting injured, as it’s very tight at the top of the table. And Arsenal might well be worried about Ssliba getting injured. They would almost certainly have won the title last year if he hadn’t been injured in the run in. And both of those clubs have pretty decent squads, well City do at least. 
    I get what you’re saying, nonetheless. With better squad depth it would be less of a disaster if May is injured. But he’s the hottest striker in the League at the moment, so a replacement would have to hit top form PDQ.