Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Compared to Lloyd Jones so far this season: 

18 apps - 0 goals - 0 assists - 80.8% pass success - 5.2 aerial duals per game won and an average match score of 6.94.

Passing has accuracy gone up by 11% 

Which suggests it was the team enabling that style, not the player. 

Lloyd Jones is from a premier league academy, it was much more likely that he’d be able to play a different style than Dunkley or especially Piergianni with his background. Also Jones isn’t even that good on the ball, which is why Hector plays next to him and is the much better of the 2 on the ball. If we are signing a partner for Jones they simply have to be at least better on the ball than Jones is for the way Appleton will want to play football

I don’t think Dunkley would be a bad signing, in fact I was quite keen on us signing him when he left Wednesday. But I’m also not sure spending a fee on him would be the smartest move when you can probably buy a better all-round defender. Piergianni would be a very poor idea, he has never played in sides that play football. You can’t pluck a player out of a team that plays a completely different style, slot him into our team and expect it to work 
    Our best player has no Premier league academy experience, it doesn't really mean anything. There are plenty of players with Premier league academy experience that won't make it as professional footballers or have already given up. 

I see your point in that he has potential based on his background, but I personally don't care where a player is from, as long as they are performing week in and week out.

I don't know if we watch the same team at times (not specifically aimed at you mate) as Jones to me looks far more efficient on the ball. He drives it forward better and looks more composed. Did you not see Hector with those nonsense kick ups against Cambridge? The bloke thinks he's a lot better than what he is. They are of at least the same level on the ball, there is no way Hector can be classed as much better. 

You absolutely can do that, Alfie May played a different style at Cheltenham and doesn't seem to be doing too bad, Lyle Taylor played for Wimbledon and did alright for us, as a centre back example, Lloyd Jones came from a team who don't play liquid football and adjusted just fine. 

As for Piergianni not playing in a footballing side, I don't know who you think Charlton Atheltic are mate, but Stevenage are a better team than us this season (so far) and they probably should have beaten us in the Carabao Cup last season if it wasn't for some Aneke magic. His job is to make his side better defensively. That's what he does. Why do you think we can play this style of football when we can't, it would take a ton of investment and a completely different setup at the club. 

We need players with character, who can play a bit, that's our recipe. We don't do liquid football mate, don't think we ever have and if we have, it hasn't been for many games at all.

Either way it's all nonsense, Piregianni is out of our reach as he's at a better side and has a chance of getting promoted and we won't spend on Dunkley. 

Apologies for clogging the thread those hoping to see some rumours but as I always say, this must be your first rodeo on a rumours thread 😉
    Yeah, he won us a goal kick when most other defenders would have handed the opposition a (long) throw.

Hector, not composed? Now I've heard everything. If anything he's slightly too composed at times, but he's getting the balance right. And he drives forward even more than Jones, there were some great ones the other day
  • Options
    Simple pass percentages for defenders are a bit meaningless anyway, as they get inflated when defenders spend a minute passing the ball between themselves because there are no forward options!
  • Options
    My main concern is if they vote Labour or Tory
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Not surprising. He has frightening pace and that’s going to be worth something to clubs at the level above, even if it’s just to try and change a game off the bench.

I do think he’ll be off in January. It’ll be hard to find a direct replacement but I just hope whoever that person is, they’re given time to find their feet. CBT hardly came in with any expectations a couple of years ago and turned out to be a key player for us.
    The more clubs in for him the better. In fairness to CBT he has probably played his best football for us in this season, I would be highly surprised if he signs the contract offered but happy to see him go if the price is right. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't want to see CBT go. We'll probably replace him with a right load of rubbish
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Does that Appleton quote sound more like him nudging the board, than saying what’s going to happen?

Whoever we sign we need winners and a smattering of hard league 1 bastards in the Andy Hughes mould. 

I fear it is Appleton knowing that he will not get the necessary players and getting his retailiation in first. 'It weren't me guv, it was the owners.'
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I said on the 'Charlton Chronicles' pod that I could see him in a Huddersfield kit and there it is. 

I think Plymouth also makes a lot of sense, they play wide players and they would have known about him for a while.

If we get some cash back and reinvest I can live truthfully. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    NabySarr said:

18 apps - 0 goals - 0 assists - 80.8% pass success - 5.2 aerial duals per game won and an average match score of 6.94.

Lloyd Jones is from a premier league academy, it was much more likely that he’d be able to play a different style than Dunkley or especially Piergianni with his background. Also Jones isn’t even that good on the ball, which is why Hector plays next to him and is the much better of the 2 on the ball. If we are signing a partner for Jones they simply have to be at least better on the ball than Jones is for the way Appleton will want to play football

I don’t think Dunkley would be a bad signing, in fact I was quite keen on us signing him when he left Wednesday. But I’m also not sure spending a fee on him would be the smartest move when you can probably buy a better all-round defender. Piergianni would be a very poor idea, he has never played in sides that play football. You can’t pluck a player out of a team that plays a completely different style, slot him into our team and expect it to work 
    Our best player has no Premier league academy experience, it doesn't really mean anything. There are plenty of players with Premier league academy experience that won't make it as professional footballers or have already given up. 

I see your point in that he has potential based on his background, but I personally don't care where a player is from, as long as they are performing week in and week out.

I don't know if we watch the same team at times (not specifically aimed at you mate) as Jones to me looks far more efficient on the ball. He drives it forward better and looks more composed. Did you not see Hector with those nonsense kick ups against Cambridge? The bloke thinks he's a lot better than what he is. They are of at least the same level on the ball, there is no way Hector can be classed as much better. 

You absolutely can do that, Alfie May played a different style at Cheltenham and doesn't seem to be doing too bad, Lyle Taylor played for Wimbledon and did alright for us, as a centre back example, Lloyd Jones came from a team who don't play liquid football and adjusted just fine. 

As for Piergianni not playing in a footballing side, I don't know who you think Charlton Atheltic are mate, but Stevenage are a better team than us this season (so far) and they probably should have beaten us in the Carabao Cup last season if it wasn't for some Aneke magic. His job is to make his side better defensively. That's what he does. Why do you think we can play this style of football when we can't, it would take a ton of investment and a completely different setup at the club. 

We need players with character, who can play a bit, that's our recipe. We don't do liquid football mate, don't think we ever have and if we have, it hasn't been for many games at all.

Either way it's all nonsense, Piregianni is out of our reach as he's at a better side and has a chance of getting promoted and we won't spend on Dunkley. 

Apologies for clogging the thread those hoping to see some rumours but as I always say, this must be your first rodeo on a rumours thread 😉
    Yeah, he won us a goal kick when most other defenders would have handed the opposition a (long) throw.

Hector, not composed? Now I've heard everything. If anything he's slightly too composed at times, but he's getting the balance right. And he drives forward even more than Jones, there were some great ones the other day
    He very nearly lost it, if he had it would have put AMB under massive pressure, it was completely unnecessary, he could have used AMB as an option. 

The exact kind of decisions he's been making at the start of the season that has cost us goals. Has this bloke got dirt on you or something mate? 😂
  • Options
    Love CBT but really don't think he will be effective in the championship
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Tariqe Fosu still a free agent, would be a good replacement for CBT
    Problem being now that he is likely miles off any kind of match fitness
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

A premier league academy upbringing  (especially a top one) is more likely to mean a centre back is more comfortable on the ball. He wouldn’t have stayed at Liverpool as long as he did if he wasn’t.

Hector gives the ball away more than Jones, but Hector also makes much better passes. Just look at the goals we’ve scored this week, 2 came from Hectors long passes that Jones or any of the other centre backs mentioned probably wouldn’t have even attempted and if they had would probably not have pulled off 

I agree we need a better defender who can actually defend. But we should be looking for a player who can do both sides of the game well
    That's true but it doesn't mean they will turn out to be a good footballer unfortunately. 

I just don't rate Hector mate you do, maybe in a 5 where he has more freedom or even a holding mid, but not when he's one of our last lines of defence. 

We aren't going to find that though and will be extremely lucky if we do and if we do, chances are big clubs come sniffing. I am quite happy to have a team full of effective players to get us out of this league and then start thinking more about playstyle where we will have more options and be a more luxurious option for an aspiring player. Right now we aren't going to attract these Ronnie Edwards types as we are midtable league 1 Chartlon Athletic 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see the merit in getting a fee for CBT while we can. My worry is in replacing him but at least we can guarantee any incoming players minutes. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    NabySarr said:

He very nearly lost it, if he had it would have put AMB under massive pressure, it was completely unnecessary, he could have used AMB as an option. 

The exact kind of decisions he's been making at the start of the season that has cost us goals. Has this bloke got dirt on you or something mate? 😂
    Probably thought he couldn't do worse than whatever the fuck AMB thought he was doing in the first half. I have to disagree with you here though, Hector was great on Saturday and when he's on form (as he has been the past couple of games) is good enough for a starting berth.

If/when we sell CBT, the first 2 changes we need are a left footed centre back to play in a back 3 with Jones and Hector, and a big bruiser up top alongside May.

However to seriously challenge in the second half of the season we need 4 new starters IMO, better than Thomas, Fraser, Tedic and a replacement for Camara. We also need another striker who can come on from the bench and try to influence games, especially with Aneke and Leaburn out

AMB
    Hector Jones CB
    Watson Dobson CM Edun
    AM
    May ST

Isted, Thomas, Asiimwe, Watson, Fraser, Kanu, ST

Blackett-Taylor, Camara, Campbell, Abankwah, Walker and hopefully Kirk all out to pay for a lot of it and free up wages
  • Options
    If we are going to change the long term direction of our club I hope those making the decisions already have a 1st, 2nd & 3rd choice list of players we wish to sign when we lose one of our stars like CBT. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Leuth said:
    NabySarr said:

Probably thought he couldn't do worse than whatever the fuck AMB thought he was doing in the first half. I have to disagree with you here though, Hector was great on Saturday and when he's on form (as he has been the past couple of games) is good enough for a starting berth.

If/when we sell CBT, the first 2 changes we need are a left footed centre back to play in a back 3 with Jones and Hector, and a big bruiser up top alongside May.

However to seriously challenge in the second half of the season we need 4 new starters IMO, better than Thomas, Fraser, Tedic and a replacement for Camara. We also need another striker who can come on from the bench and try to influence games, especially with Aneke and Leaburn out

AMB
    Hector Jones CB
    Watson Dobson CM Edun
    AM
    May ST

Blackett-Taylor, Camara, Campbell, Abankwah, Walker and hopefully Kirk all out to pay for a lot of it and free up wages
    Agree with all of that (plus signing a new LWB option) but annoyingly it won’t happen. Appleton is stubborn and will continue to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 

We should have appointed a manager that plays 3-5-2 but there doesn’t seem to be much joined up thinking between recruitment and management under this regime. Scott even mentioned he was surprised at the system Holden was playing, surely they should have both been discussing this and been on the same page and recruiting players for it. Another area where Scott is failing to impress 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Leuth said:
    NabySarr said:

AMB
    Hector Jones CB
    Watson Dobson CM Edun
    AM
    May ST

Tennai Watson isn't remotely good enough to be starting wing back in a side attempting to get promoted playing 352. In that formation, your wing backs are amongst the most important players in the team. Watson has been the absolute dictionary definition of mediocrity. He's neither especially solid defensively and offers very little as an overlapping full back. I'm not convinced by Edum defensively yet either, but at least he looks a threat going the other way.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Genuinely why would a player like Ladapo choose to come to us? A club that is now well and truly mid table league one. 
    This is why you HAVE to buy/strengthen in the summer. In July it’s a level playing field & everyone is fresh & invigorated. In January players can see that you are mid table mediocrity & struggling to beat teams like Gillingham & Carlisle. 
    Then there’s less pressure. You have the chance of being the signing that transformed your new club’s season. 
    However, if you’re looking for Championship football then why come to Charlton?  Unless we win three of our next four league games the play offs will look all but out of reach by the time the window opens. 
  • Options
    Hector just needs to sink a couple of black double espressos before each half to keep him awake. When he manages to avoid any narcoleptic episodes mid-game he's decent.

It's all well and good talking about progressive defenders, but they need to be able to defend first. With May and CBT we're almost guaranteed a goal a game. With more competent defending we should be winning loads of matches 1 or 2 - nil or 2-1. But because we cannot defend set pieces for toffee, and make so many individual errors we are conceding 2 goals most week. You just cannot do that and expect to win frequently.

The defending isn't all about the defence (although every member of the back 5 needs to do much better) the midfield needs to do more too but we need to temporarily set aside aspirations for good football from our centre backs and focus solely on stopping leaking goals. Once we look organized. Once we can clear a corner consistently. Once we are keeping clean sheets reasonably frequently, then you start to feed the attacking side of things back into the defence until you get the right balance between defensive solidity and progressive play.