Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    I always question why someone is available for loan in January, it usually suggests something has gone wrong in the first half of the season
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The Appleton quote signals a change of approach from previous administrations who would play their cards very close to their chests on transfer plans, so as not to inflate wages/fees. That is, if he's not gone rogue...
  • Options
    I think we also need an older head. Recruitment isn't just about bringing in hungry 20 somethings with a resale value, you do need some experience, someone with genuine leadership skills when the youngsters are getting a bit "frantic". 

Of course this has to be the right person, someone still with hunger, rather than someone physically clapped out or mentally "retired", looking for a final payday.
    Absolutely agree. My ideal window includes two centre backs.

If one was to be Taylor from WBA, the other has to have leadership qualities in the Jason Pearce mold.
    Look no further 

• Options
    I would be quite shocked if we do not go in for a new keeper. You can argue about centre back options but i think we badly need this area sorted too.
  • Options
    I think we also need an older head. Recruitment isn't just about bringing in hungry 20 somethings with a resale value, you do need some experience, someone with genuine leadership skills when the youngsters are getting a bit "frantic". 

Of course this has to be the right person, someone still with hunger, rather than someone physically clapped out or mentally "retired", looking for a final payday.

If one was to be Taylor from WBA, the other has to have leadership qualities in the Jason Pearce mold.
    Look no further 

Don't necessarily disagree, but I can't see us signing two 30 + centre backs.

One will need to be left footed as well.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Look no further 

Both having the form of their career, which they won't replicate again, especially not at a new team IMO
    Like Alfie May? 

We need a leader, we need a tough centre back, both fit that role. In an ideal league 1 world, I'd have them both and played a 5 back with Jones.

All nonsense by me anyway as Piergianni isn't gonna leave Steveange for us when they're in a better position and we wouldn't pay for Dunkley. The Crewe centre back is probably more realistic 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    I always question why someone is available for loan in January, it usually suggests something has gone wrong in the first half of the season
    There is the alternative of poaching someone who has done well on loan in the first half of the season elsewhere at a smaller club. 

That happened when Arsenal recalled Matt Smith from Doncaster and sent him to us instead, and also when we lost Conor Gallagher to Swansea.
    Or maybe someone who hasn't had much game time with a Championship loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Ness has regressed, while Deji isn't ready either, so we do need another CB anyway. Especially if we want to play 3 at the back.
  • Options
    Another centre-half, sure. But what'll really fire us up the table is a mobile, technical and powerful midfielder, a forward who isn't shit*, and a winger who shows a bit of application

*this one most of all
  • Options
    Oh and full-backs who can both defend and get forward, with apologies to T Watson's recent improvement and Edun's fitful form 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Another centre-half, sure. But what'll really fire us up the table is a mobile, technical and powerful midfielder, a forward who isn't shit*, and a winger who shows a bit of application

*this one most of all
    Our problem isn't scoring goals!!!!!
    Check the stats!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Leuth said:

*this one most of all
    Our problem isn't scoring goals!!!!!
    Check the stats!
    With or without either Leaburn or Aneke make for grim reading. I'm slightly amazed we conjured two versus Cambridge.

But above all, a forward who can make the ball stick makes a huge difference defensively. No, really
  • Options
    In fact @Leuth

The clean sheet table once again (Thanks @Callumcafc)

. Stevenage (10)
    2. Derby, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Peterborough (9)
    6. Barnsley, Bolton, Lincoln, Cambridge (8)
    10. Shrewsbury (7)
    11. Wigan, Oxford, Exeter, Port Vale (6)
    15. Orient, Wycombe, Northampton (5)
    18. Burton (4)
    19. Reading, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Cheltenham (3)
    24. Carlisle (1)
  • Options
    I think Hector has done much better in recent weeks but I just don't believe Thomas is good enough for the level we are hoping to be so we need at least one more quality CB since none of the youngters in that position look ready to play regular. 

Hopefully Thomas proves me wrong though as from what Appleton said, seems like Jones is out until after christmas so it will be Thomas and Hector for the Barnsley & Burton matches at the very least. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Ness should be moved on IMO, for a nominal fee if anything. He's not at the required level and if we can bring in a top-quality CB to push or upgrade Hector & Jones, then it can only be positive. 
    I agree we need one at this time
    I hope Ness gets back to Ness of when he broke through but maybe that isn't possible, sadly.
  • Options
    IF CBT moves on, then a 352 might work best for us. Our full backs seem better going forward than defending, while May would then have a strike partner.

That would require another CB and another striker at least, but no out and out wingers.
  • Options
    Ness has regressed, while Deji isn't ready either, so we do need another CB anyway. Especially if we want to play 3 at the back.
    How did you arrive at this conclusion 🤔. 
  • Options
    I think Ness needs a loan in League 2 along with Anderson. Just go and get regular games for the second half of the season and see how it goes really, one to then reassess in the summer.

Only mentioned Anderson going out because I wasn't overly sure on when Taylor is due back? Mcgrandles I know is 4-6 weeks. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We have a 30+ centre-back. He's been voted MOTM by our fans two games running and cut out his errors. He's also by quite a long way better on the ball than either Piergianni or Dunkley. Jones will be back before too long and Thomas is an able deputy. We have other much more pressing priorities. Full-back, wing, maybe central midfield and hell, up front, for example 
    We are looking at 4 players one is a centre half ( (yes the one at WBA ) and one is the striker we tied to sign in summer … the other two targets may have changed given our injury situation 
  • Options
    IF CBT moves on, then a 352 might work best for us. Our full backs seem better going forward than defending, while May would then have a strike partner.

That would require another CB and another striker at least, but no out and out wingers.
    With T Watson and Edun I agree but still think May will play a deeper role ….. trying to play 433 when we don’t have good enough wingers is killing us