Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Came on as a sub for one minute in a game I've tried really hard to forget about. 

Doesn't sound too inspiring on paper, can't lie, well other than that he was born in the Bronx, that's pretty cool.
    Based on how many minutes he’s played for them since, I’d imagine that was a conscious decision by their manager based either on him being a key player of theirs or him not getting a full pre season.

The clips I saw of him appear to show a player comfortable on the ball and can use either foot, hence him popping up at both left and right back as well as in midfield this season.

Played 100 League One games across four and a half years for Wimbledon and Morecambe.

Seems like he’d been a utility man more than a standout. But who knows.
    Yeah he is a main player for them, we were beat by a reserve Newport side, what a time to support CAFC. 

In regards to Shane McLoughlin, not exactly an inspiring link. My concern is he played for relegation candidate side, believe got relegated and has been playing in league 2 since. Just doesn't sound very inspiring and could be another one on wages who isn't up to it, and blocking another player coming in at a later date 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    J BLOCK said:
    Genuinely why would a player like Ladapo choose to come to us? A club that is now well and truly mid table league one. 
    This is why you HAVE to buy/strengthen in the summer. In July its a level playing field & everyone is fresh & invigorated. In January players can see that you are mid table mediocrity & struggling to beat teams like Gillingham & Carlisle. 
  • Options
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
  • Options
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
    At this stage, why would they sign new contracts? They can wait to see what other offers are out there, and always re-sign next summer if nothing better comes up.
  • Options
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    Agreed. Dobson is very good at the role he performs and it would be very difficult to get another player to fit into that role...

BUT

We would not necessarily have to have someone in that role. Change the style and formation around so we don't need to have one deep lying tackler. Look at keeping possession better instead of needing to win it back. Play more on the front foot instead of the counter.

Not that this will be easy either, there will be challenges if it does happen. But Dobson leaving does not spell disaster automatically, IMHO.

• Options
    Why ? …… if they want to be on the sub bench in the championship then that’s up to them ..

• Options
    supaclive said:
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

There's being positive @Callumcafc and then there's being plan daft!
    Cost millions ????? would replace both CBT and Campbell not good enough of consistent enough for a team looking for promotion .. Dobson we lost likey have a replacement already in McGrandles 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    supaclive said:

I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May.
    Focusing individually on them I agree it's not impossible to replace them but taking it in the context of the work that needs to be done on the rest of the squad then having to replace our best 2 players as well suddenly is expecting too much imo.

Aware that's probably the worst sentence ever written but I'm in an airport having been up for 20 hours so hopefully you get the gist.
  • Options
    In 2020/21, with the likes of Pratley, Watson and Gunter in the team, we came 7th. Those seem like glory days now...
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I agree they’re not easily replaced but it’ll only cost millions if we try to replace them with players considered among the best in the division who are also under contract. The majority of clubs mainly sign frees and loans, and that’s where we need to get better - Pompey made a lot of early signings but generally they weren’t big names. They’ve shown what can be done if you target the right players.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    supaclive said:

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
    I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 

Lol actually completely disagree. I think CBT's qualities are harder to replace than Dobbo's. And I love Dobson and what he gives for the shirt.

It's part of the reason why I feel as though a Championship club might take a punt on Corey, but can't see the same for George.
  • Options
    At this stage, why would they sign new contracts? They can wait to see what other offers are out there, and always re-sign next summer if nothing better comes up.
    I'd liked the club to have offered contracts before now as this leaves us in a vulnerable position.
    I suppose the players are winding a contract down to enable a better deal on a new contract, wherever that may be.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 

Lol actually completely disagree. I think CBT's qualities are harder to replace than Dobbo's. And I love Dobson and what he gives for the shirt.

It's part of the reason why I feel as though a Championship club might take a punt on Corey, but can't see the same for George.
    This.

CBT is so vital to the team. Not only does he create goals he scores them too. Without him we would be in the bottom 6. Can't say the same for Dobbo. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    If CBT is likely to go in Jan, we should be getting Chem Campbell much more involved in the first team squad.

I don’t know what has happened with Chem but he’s a good player & I’m not confident that our recruitment team will find a better winger in Jan.

It would be very Charlton for us to send Chem back, sell CBT & then bring in a new winger who is nowhere near as good as Chem.

Hopefully the club don’t mess things up & take us backwards.
  • Options
    If CBT is likely to go in Jan, we should be getting Chem Campbell much more involved in the first team squad.

I don’t know what has happened with Chem but he’s a good player & I’m not confident that our recruitment team will find a better winger in Jan.

It would be very Charlton for us to send Chem back, sell CBT & then bring in a new winger who is nowhere near as good as Chem.

Chem not even getting on the bench over 17 year olds this week says that Appleton disagrees with you. He’s definitely off.

I just can’t see the advantage is selling CBT in January. What we will get for him is peanuts as he’s only got 6 months left. Better to keep him and hope he can help the team push for play offs and then he leaves for nothing in the summer. We won’t sign a better player for the money we’ll get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree with you, everytime I've seen him he's looked decent and more importantly he fits the system we play perfectly (something that can't be said for a lot of our players) as well as being able to cover multiple positions.

Sometimes players just don't fit in with certain managers. It seems to be a case of this. But agree we will struggle to find better in Jan.

For him to be sent the same way as Kirk after the Cray Valley home game is so harsh given their vastly different performances on that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I liked Chem too when he first appeared on the scene. His last league appearance was away at Lincoln. Since then he’s not even made the bench in a league match.

I had to have a look at what happened because it’s obvious that he clearly lost the trust of Appleton on that night.

…he did have a fairly large part to play in Lincoln’s third goal that night. Hospital pass inside to Asiimwe who got dispossessed and then when they turned the ball over, he didn’t track his runner who he’d been jostling with only a few seconds prior. His runner scored the goal.
  • Options
    I liked Chem too when he first appeared on the scene. His last league appearance was away at Lincoln. Since then he’s not even made the bench in a league match.

I had to have a look at what happened because it’s obvious that he clearly lost the trust of Appleton on that night.

…he did have a fairly large part to play in Lincoln’s third goal that night. Hospital pass inside to Asiimwe who got dispossessed and then when they turned the ball over, he didn’t track his runner who he’d been jostling with only a few seconds prior. His runner scored the goal.
    So just like CBT not tracking his runners and resulting in goals but he still plays ?? 

New manager just don’t fancy certain players or they just don’t fit his type or style of player to play his way … that’s all there no big mystery 
  • Options

So just like CBT not tracking his runners and resulting in goals but he still plays ?? 

New manager just don’t fancy certain players or they just don’t fit his type or style of player to play his way … that’s all there no big mystery 
    We wouldn’t have any players if everyone was dropped for mistakes.

There must be more to it than a few mistakes in one game that led to us conceding a goal.
  • Options
    January's "Window" will show wether the Yanks are the real deal, or just more gobshite chancers.

Lets do good business, do it early, no more players who come to us with "minor niggles" then dont play until March.  No more skinny undersize "ball players" who try to dance the ball into goal. Players who can deliver from corners, or decent free kick takers. And a "tank" defender who put it about if the need arises.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Yes, it's a bit of a flaw with the squad that our best 2 attacking players suit different systems, CBT a 433 with a mobile target man number 9, while May suits a 352 alongside a physical target man. Never mind Miles, what May needs is Carl Leaburn!

Play 352, and you either leave CBT out or play him at wing back exposing his poor defensive qualities.

Play 433 and May
    1) is battling in the centre against giant centre backs
    2) played out wide, with the risk that he's too far away from the box, or
    3) played as a Number 10, leaving us with a 2 man midfield likely to be overrun.
  • Options

Good to see that Appleton takes my advice on board 😉

Hopefully Chem puts in a good performance today. COYR!
  • Options
    January window looking more and more important with every game...