Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like our scouting department needs a proper clear out. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think Tedic was a last minute panic move. Wasn't Kion Etete at Cardiff quite heavily linked but Cardiff didn't add another striker? 
    Ladapo aswell if I remember correctly? 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    I've recommended Humprys to the club a few times but I am ignored each time.  He may not be Shearer but he's big, strong, mobile and stays fit.

Sadly he's paid pretty well at Wigan so probably out of our range at the moment
    I've been banging on about him for years, although I'm sure the club scouts are already well aware of him. Like you say, he's on a fair wedge at Wigan and is probably their best player, so no chance of us getting him.
    I know but that's the frustrating part.  Steve Gallen was keen but he'd just gone to Wigan and was paid well but this summer he had just got engaged, was struggling to get in the team and was on loan at Hearts and would have been available.  

I'm just fascinated to know who spotted Tedic and thought "That's our guy"
    Probably Tedic’s aunt. Just be careful of her sister who I understand now is also keeping an eye open .
  • Options

Surely it is essential to give the manager or head coach the carefully selected tools to do his job properly not just pile a lot of (mostly injured) bodies on him and tell him to form a winning team.

That seems pretty basic common sense to me.

Yet we have consistently failed to do it since Roland  got bored of his football project and Bowyer was given a budget and free hand to get on with his recruitment supported and implemented by Steve Gallen.

Appleton has had zero influence on the make up of this squad so far. Dean Holden obviously had the hump and selected young academy products over Scott;s choices and was dismissed. Ben Garner was recruited by Sandgaard to introduce a progressive style of football and given Innis, Stockley and Gilbey 

Jackson wanted to play five at the back but was given Nile John who never played and had to use DJ as  wing-back.  Even Adkins was let down and was evidently quite shocked at being recruited for his long experience in the game and then ignored in favour of the boss's son who knew nothing and his infamous black box. 

My advice to Mr Scott is to invest in a notebook and pencil at WH Smiths, tell Appleton the budget (even if it is zero) and ask him nominate his realistic targets and write those down in the notebook and get on with it. 

How hard can it be?

Or if Scott thinks he can do better, swap seats with Appleton.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think Tedic was a last minute panic move. Wasn't Kion Etete at Cardiff quite heavily linked but Cardiff didn't add another striker? 

Yeah Ladapo too , would be interesting if that one was revisited in January 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    I've recommended Humprys to the club a few times but I am ignored each time.  He may not be Shearer but he's big, strong, mobile and stays fit.

Sadly he's paid pretty well at Wigan so probably out of our range at the moment
    I've been banging on about him for years, although I'm sure the club scouts are already well aware of him. Like you say, he's on a fair wedge at Wigan and is probably their best player, so no chance of us getting him.
    I know but that's the frustrating part.  Steve Gallen was keen but he'd just gone to Wigan and was paid well but this summer he had just got engaged, was struggling to get in the team and was on loan at Hearts and would have been available.  

I'm just fascinated to know who spotted Tedic and thought "That's our guy"
    I suspect nobody identified Tedic as a target and he was offered to us late when we clearly didn't have the foresight or spending power to get a proper striker.
    I think he was a target when Holden was still here but it was clear that he was a backup plan for if we couldn't get our preferred targets. He did okish at Barnsley as a backup to their main strikers and the plan would have been to use him in the same way, with May and Leaburn as our main two and Tedic to come on when needed. The problem at Charlton is you need your backups to be superstars as the main player in the role is getting a long term injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    We have our own Ladapo who looks quite good. He's only about eleven though.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Bolton
    Bust three years ago
    Sensible group of owners
    Good manager, good coaches
    Many free or low cost transfers

It can be done
    We simply, I believe, don't have the right people in situ
    Neither did they after six months. All the fans wanted Evatt sacked. Truth is, if we keep going round in circles we’ll never know if we have the right people or not.
    Yep, they were doing rotten in league 2, 

Just found this tweet: 

Could you imagine our fans if we were relegated to league 2 and sat 19th after 24 games. 
    Evatt has been a great appointment. 
    He had Barrow playing great possession based football but they were a little toothless in the first season, a bit like Garner’s Charlton. The “Barrowcelona” second season added goals to the mix.
    Bolton were at rock bottom, which was strangely a great time for him to join. He came in being able to build a squad to fit his vision and was given time to implement it. With that time he’s been able to tweak it to be more effective each window. 

We don’t have a fan base that will have that patience. It feels very “we want a whole promotion guaranteed squad signed now or it’s failed”. We can literally go from booing, the season is over already, we won’t sign anyone, just another bunch of chancers to singing “the reds are going up, allez allez allez” and back again within 30 mins!

Highs and lows. Gills away was a low. 3 losses in 17 is great progress. Couple of competitive CB’s and a CM to compliment Dobbo’s fight and it’s a whole different story. 

Not sure I agree. If we see progress most fans will be happy enough. But we haven't.  Bolton have spent time building a squad. 

Have we built anything in the last 2 windows?

Alfie May and possibly Jones aside where are the foundations?

CBT and Dobbo 6 months from leaving for nothing. 

Maybe Edun and T Watson as squad players.  Maybe Taylor if he can get fit.  Maybe Aneke if he could stay fit.  Lots of maybes.

Leaburn most think will leave in the summer...

Some kids...

Who else would people want to keep as building blocks of the squad?

This season we have lost to Newport, Crawley and Gill's and drawn with CVPM; that is an abnormally large number of serious lows.
    In cup games. We were one of the only teams to get anything at Fratton park in months. Went a couple of months unbeaten in the league. 

I think AMB/Isted, Jones, Edun, Taylor, Fraser, TC, Aneke, May, and Leaburn are enough to build around with some of the youngsters coming through like Anderson and Asiimwe. Mbick and Kanu look intriguing, and there are some other U18s as well. 

Yes, I really hope we get Dobbo back. I hope so with CBT as well but I really struggle to see that happening. But that's part of being in League One, you're going to lose your good players to higher levels at some point if they're good enough. There's talk of Leaburn leaving in the summer, and he might, we'll see. But you're seeing with Sheff Wed where a bunch of experienced and good but not great League One players get you--you do get promoted (just), but then you have very little to build on at the next level. 

Are things perfect? No. But something I liked about the signings of Taylor, Jones, Edun, and Isted is that they felt like decent players now who have the potential to get better. I wasn't expecting that from Alfie May, but he's been better than he's ever been so far this season. Couple that with the fact that Anderson and Asiimwe clearly have talent, and Mbick seems to be highly regarded, and you start to see the team of the next couple of years forming. 

I think there's a lot of doom and gloom because we lost to Gills in the FA Cup. I don't really get that. Our league form since Appleton took over has been playoff level. We don't have a perfect squad, but we're also hit hard by injuries and injuries in the same positions at the moment. A couple of January additions (and I don't know why people think no one will be added in Jan unless SE7 has said something I've missed) and this squad will look more balanced and complete (FB, RW). 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Bolton
    Bust three years ago
    Sensible group of owners
    Good manager, good coaches
    Many free or low cost transfers

It can be done
    We simply, I believe, don't have the right people in situ
    Neither did they after six months. All the fans wanted Evatt sacked. Truth is, if we keep going round in circles we’ll never know if we have the right people or not.
    Yep, they were doing rotten in league 2, 

Just found this tweet: 

Could you imagine our fans if we were relegated to league 2 and sat 19th after 24 games. 
    Evatt has been a great appointment. 
    He had Barrow playing great possession based football but they were a little toothless in the first season, a bit like Garner’s Charlton. The “Barrowcelona” second season added goals to the mix.
    Bolton were at rock bottom, which was strangely a great time for him to join. He came in being able to build a squad to fit his vision and was given time to implement it. With that time he’s been able to tweak it to be more effective each window. 

We don’t have a fan base that will have that patience. It feels very “we want a whole promotion guaranteed squad signed now or it’s failed”. We can literally go from booing, the season is over already, we won’t sign anyone, just another bunch of chancers to singing “the reds are going up, allez allez allez” and back again within 30 mins!

Highs and lows. Gills away was a low. 3 losses in 17 is great progress. Couple of competitive CB’s and a CM to compliment Dobbo’s fight and it’s a whole different story. 

Not sure I agree. If we see progress most fans will be happy enough. But we haven't.  Bolton have spent time building a squad. 

Have we built anything in the last 2 windows?

Alfie May and possibly Jones aside where are the foundations?

CBT and Dobbo 6 months from leaving for nothing. 

Maybe Edun and T Watson as squad players.  Maybe Taylor if he can get fit.  Maybe Aneke if he could stay fit.  Lots of maybes.

Leaburn most think will leave in the summer...

Some kids...

Who else would people want to keep as building blocks of the squad?

This season we have lost to Newport, Crawley and Gill's and drawn with CVPM; that is an abnormally large number of serious lows.
    In cup games. We were one of the only teams to get anything at Fratton park in months. Went a couple of months unbeaten in the league. 

I think AMB/Isted, Jones, Edun, Taylor, Fraser, TC, Aneke, May, and Leaburn are enough to build around with some of the youngsters coming through like Anderson and Asiimwe. Mbick and Kanu look intriguing, and there are some other U18s as well. 

Yes, I really hope we get Dobbo back. I hope so with CBT as well but I really struggle to see that happening. But that's part of being in League One, you're going to lose your good players to higher levels at some point if they're good enough. There's talk of Leaburn leaving in the summer, and he might, we'll see. But you're seeing with Sheff Wed where a bunch of experienced and good but not great League One players get you--you do get promoted (just), but then you have very little to build on at the next level. 

Are things perfect? No. But something I liked about the signings of Taylor, Jones, Edun, and Isted is that they felt like decent players now who have the potential to get better. I wasn't expecting that from Alfie May, but he's been better than he's ever been so far this season. Couple that with the fact that Anderson and Asiimwe clearly have talent, and Mbick seems to be highly regarded, and you start to see the team of the next couple of years forming. 

I think there's a lot of doom and gloom because we lost to Gills in the FA Cup. I don't really get that. Our league form since Appleton took over has been playoff level. We don't have a perfect squad, but we're also hit hard by injuries and injuries in the same positions at the moment. A couple of January additions (and I don't know why people think no one will be added in Jan unless SE7 has said something I've missed) and this squad will look more balanced and complete (FB, RW). 
    Sadly the signing of Terry Taylor was a gamble.  As was Camara based on their recent injury history.

Coupled with Aneke, McGrandles and Leaburn's injuries at Charlton and Edun being unfit etc - it was a massive gamble that hasn't worked.  

You want to see the positives I understand but no way were the performances against CVPM or Gillingham acceptable.   Any way you wish to dress it up.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Yeah Ladapo too , would be interesting if that one was revisited in January 
    Ladapo will only go if Ipswich bring in a striker….which I could well see happening in Jan based on the position they are in. 

It would be well worth them splashing £3m - £6m on a top striker to ensure they get over the line & in the Prem (where their investment would be paid off multiple times over via Prem TV money).
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Are you American @SDAddick? Or did you move over there from SE London? I am just wondering if you fully get the sense of what it means to lose to the tinpot Gills, especially like that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    It's just an internet rumour that Scott didn't want May. 
    Oh okay, I dont read here religiously, I just remember the believed story delivered via the owners fan mouthpiece when May was briefly struggling very early season was we were going to spend big bucks on JCH but Holden insisted on May.

I guess the story from them changed around the time May started banging the goals in.

Excited to see JCH arrive at the start of january since that damn Holden is not here to stop the deal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Chunes said:
    It's just an internet rumour that Scott didn't want May. 
    Oh okay, I dont read here religiously, I just remember the believed story delivered via the owners fan mouthpiece when May was briefly struggling very early season was we were going to spend big bucks on JCH but Holden insisted on May.

I guess the story from them changed around the time May started banging the goals in.

Excited to see JCH arrive at the start of january since that damn Holden is not here to stop the deal. 
    We know full well they he didn't stop the deal, the price quoted to everyone for him stopped the deal. 
  • Options
    worth noting JCH isn’t having a great season goal wise. 4 goals in 16 games, 12 of which were starts and hasn’t scored in the league since September 
  • Options
    Pete O’Rourke links us with Newport County defender/midfielder Shane McLoughlin.

Appears to be playing wing back most recently, on either side.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-charlton-and-wycombe-wanderers-plot-january-moves-for-shane-mcloughlin/
  • Options
    Pete O’Rourke links us with Newport County defender/midfielder Shane McLoughlin.

Appears to be playing wing back most recently, on either side.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-charlton-and-wycombe-wanderers-plot-january-moves-for-shane-mcloughlin/
    Would guess/hope that’s just agent talk 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    worth noting JCH isn’t having a great season goal wise. 4 goals in 16 games, 12 of which were starts and hasn’t scored in the league since September 
    Been to see a few Posh home games this season (partner's son has a box). JCH not really the answer for us, even Posh supporters don't really rate him.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Been to see a few Posh home games this season (partner's son has a box). JCH not really the answer for us, even Posh supporters don't really rate him.
    He scores goals but his all-round game is pretty poor. Would still be a good signing for the goals though 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    We were definitely in the market for a bigger, more physical striker in the summer. We looked at Clarke-Harris, Sam Smith, Nombe, Etete, Ladapo before finally settling on Tedic, a player we were rumoured to be signing earlier on but ultimately signed on deadline day. This suggests he was the backup plan 
    We do a lot of looking at Charlton and never much spending. Window shopping is very affordable.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    He scores goals but his all-round game is pretty poor. Would still be a good signing for the goals though 
    He's not even scoring many goals at the moment.  Would go back for Ladapo first if it were up to me.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    He's not even scoring many goals at the moment.  Would go back for Ladapo first if it were up to me.
    Ladapo is obviously way better and will be top priority. Neither him or JCH will be available early in the window though. Ipswich will want to sign at least 1 striker themselves before Ladapo goes anywhere, and Peterborough won’t be stupid enough to give us JCH before we play them on the 13th

I’m hoping/expecting a loan to come in early in the window and then we will try for one of our permanent targets later on in the window if they become available