Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Most likely outcome of the Jan window is a major fallout between Appleton and Scott resulting in our fourth manager of the season. 
    4th? Holden, Appleton, who have I missed 
    Pearce?
    Should a caretaker manager who oversaw one league game count?
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

Wonder if we are keeping tabs on the Wimbledon forward Al Hamadi?
    If we are, we needn't bother. They are expecting multiple millions for him.
  • Options
    No chance we have the funds to get Al-Hamadi. Will be seven figures + add-ons to a championship side.

Most of the top scorers in L2 would either cost a very significant fee (Langstaff , Issac Olaofe at Stockport- Ex Millwall academy) or are loan players. 
  • Options
    Over the last little while we've all heard AS, MA & CM variously talking about getting out of League 1 (not necessarily this season) and improving the squad by trying to keep the talent we already have, by signing players to alleviate the frailties everyone knows we have and by bringing in permanent and loan signings who improve what we currently have.

Everyone has been here long enough to know what's needed and to identify potential targets and make beneficial things happen. 

Simplistically put, to make us more competitive, the Board have to do a great job on the financial side, AS & MA on re-signings and recruitment and MA on upgrading the attitude and ability of the squad he has to work with.

None of them has anything to prove to me in the New Year, I'll be happy if I see and think they've done a good job in beginning to achieve what they have said they're here for.

I'd like to hear it too from the horse's mouth too....... in one of his pods CM says something like one of the responsibilities of the Board is to clearly communicate the strategy and what's going on to the fanbase. It would be great to properly hear and understand their perspective post January.
  • Options
    I would imagine Chem Campbell and the Udinese bloke may return, and if miracles do happen, Kirk can be moved on.  The worry for me is that we just swap them like for like in terms of impact.  Says it all when we're supposedly trying to agree a deal for a centre back who played 34 times for Cheltenham last season.

(Yes - I'm aware people may highlight Alfie May, but he arrived off the back of 2 solid seasons scoring goals).  

Ultimately, for a change in our trajectory, the owners will have to spend money.  The problem with that is that I don't think they want to, and I'm not sure Scott etc would use it wisely if they were willing 
  • Options
    Over the last little while we've all heard AS, MA & CM variously talking about getting out of League 1 (not necessarily this season) and improving the squad by trying to keep the talent we already have, by signing players to alleviate the frailties everyone knows we have and by bringing in permanent and loan signings who improve what we currently have.

Everyone has been here long enough to know what's needed and to identify potential targets and make beneficial things happen. 

Simplistically put, to make us more competitive, the Board have to do a great job on the financial side, AS & MA on re-signings and recruitment and MA on upgrading the attitude and ability of the squad he has to work with.

None of them has anything to prove to me in the New Year, I'll be happy if I see and think they've done a good job in beginning to achieve what they have said they're here for.

I'd like to hear it too from the horse's mouth too....... in one of his pods CM says something like one of the responsibilities of the Board is to clearly communicate the strategy and what's going on to the fanbase. It would be great to properly hear and understand their perspective post January.
    I think that's what we're getting with the monthly report from Andy Scott to be honest, it's very clear he's the spokesperson for the board as a whole 
  • Options

This is from Plymouth Argyle- just copy and paste

Head of Finance, David Ray, explained what they meant by financially sustainable: “Put simply, we will generate sufficient income to cover our costs and therefore will not be reliant on our owner to inject money into the business to cover any losses. This is of crucial importance for the long-term financial security of the club.”

Hallett recently reiterated this stance, “Financial strength and the word sustainable are something Argyle fans will have heard me mention multiple times. Our beliefs will never sway from this principle as it is vitally important the club moves forward in a way that is financially viable.”

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    No chance we have the funds to get Al-Hamadi. Will be seven figures + add-ons to a championship side.

Most of the top scorers in L2 would either cost a very significant fee (Langstaff , Issac Olaofe at Stockport- Ex Millwall academy) or are loan players. 
    They turned down 1m from Barnsley for Al-H pre season ...
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

And his stock is only getting higher right now
  • Options
    edited December 2023

This is from Plymouth Argyle- just copy and paste

Head of Finance, David Ray, explained what they meant by financially sustainable: “Put simply, we will generate sufficient income to cover our costs and therefore will not be reliant on our owner to inject money into the business to cover any losses. This is of crucial importance for the long-term financial security of the club.”

Hallett recently reiterated this stance, “Financial strength and the word sustainable are something Argyle fans will have heard me mention multiple times. Our beliefs will never sway from this principle as it is vitally important the club moves forward in a way that is financially viable.”

I think that’s the plan and unless we get very lucky we can look forward to a future in league one. We’ll become established in this league and the legacy from a previously higher divisions like The Valley will become an expensive albatross around our necks and will make it even harder to achieve success as the fan base declines and we settle into a third tier norm. I think we’ve had it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    I can't see us signing Al-Hamadi, well out of our price range.

I think Johnson Clarke-Harris is the obvious one to look at, Peterboroughs chairman will sell him and he won't cost anymore than 500-700k I imagine. 

I know I've said him a lot before, and he hasn't made an impact at Burton, but Cole Stockton still interests me. He's still one of the most complete forwards I've seen play against us (in league 1) and has proven himself at this level in past seasons. 

He's currently linked with Stevenage and Carlisle but I believe he would make an excellent dance partner for May. 

Other than that I'm really not sure about anyone else in this league or below, I imagine out of our price range or not good enough.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Doesn't surprise me. Will probably end up being more like £2m as he's so key to them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I think it’s laughable to think we’ll spend £500k plus on a striker. If it wasn’t for a generous sponsorship we wouldn’t have Alfie May. Loans loans, loans.
    Agree, probably setting ourselves up for disappointment here...

But thinking about it, Leaburn was likely to be sold in the Summer anyway. Now he's out for the season, the owners may be willing to invest some money in a new #1 Target Man if they're going to offload Miles for a few mil in 2024 and recoup the fee. But that's a big maybe. 
  • Options

Final paragraph, actions speak louder than words.
    A smooth tongue is not what we are interested in.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Just an idea lads, I don't believe for a second this lot will fork out a fee, but it shows how you can just spend your way out of this league.

JCH and May would be unstoppable, 40 goals minimum between those two. Instead we will get a championship or prem loan who like most others, will fall flat again
  • Options
    Yeah I'd be more looking at championship strikers that haven't played much and anyone that's scoring in PL2 for possible striker targets. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Yeah I'd be more looking at championship strikers that haven't played much and anyone that's scoring in PL2 for possible striker targets. 
    Freddie Ladapo is the benchmark
  • Options
    I think it’s laughable to think we’ll spend £500k plus on a striker. If it wasn’t for a generous sponsorship we wouldn’t have Alfie May. Loans loans, loans.
    Has it been confirmed a sponsor paid for May? I thought that was only a rumour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Based on his summer recruitment (Tedic, Chem Campbell, Abankwah, Terry Taylor, Sam Walker etc) I think Andy Scott needs to have a good Jan window.

Very little has worked out for him so far. Especially when it comes to loan signing success. The ‘words’ are good but the ‘actions’ somewhat different.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Has it been confirmed a sponsor paid for May? I thought that was only a rumour.
    What I heard was that neither TS or SE7 Partners were willing fork out when they were selling/hadn't yet bought the club but the Castore money (650K) hit the bank at just the right time and so the deal was done.

So the sponsors didn't buy May but it was their money that did.  That was part of the anticipated budget but it meant neither side had to cough up extra cash to get May.
    Sometimes you make your own luck and for once I agree with SE7's position. 

However the rest of the window was significantly underwhelming as pointed out on numerous occassions.
  • Options

Can’t remember a good January transfer window and don’t expect this will be any different.

Some people think we have a good January window every year at the time! Trawl back through previous years threads and it will be filled with the usual arguments of some people not being impressed and many others slating them for being negative and that they are good signings with plenty of potential etc. 

As you suggest, you can only look back properly with hindsight and the sheer weight of Matt Penney, Gavin Kilkenny, Harry Arter, Todd Kane, Nile John, and Juan Castillo who’ve arrived in the last two seasons as January loans and contributed nothing leaves you cold, 

Will this year be any different? Who knows, think a lot depends on results over the next month.
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be wrong this January.....

Like as wrong as I've ever been!
  • Options
    Stephen Humphrys is out of contract at the end of the season (hence a deal could be done) and would be a good solution for the Leaburn / Chuks role
    I think this would be a brilliant signing. I wanted us to sign him when he left Rochdale and again last season in January when Wigan were having issues. 

He can play wide right as well so is a great option to play up front but could also fit into the team alongside leaburn or Chuks (if they’re ever fit) or another new striker. 
  • Options
    Humphrys puts in a shift on the defensive side, as well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Based on his summer recruitment (Tedic, Chem Campbell, Abankwah, Terry Taylor, Sam Walker etc) I think Andy Scott needs to have a good Jan window.

Very little has worked out for him so far. Especially when it comes to loan signing success. The ‘words’ are good but the ‘actions’ somewhat different.
    I would say that both the words and the actions are good, it’s the outcomes that are missing. We have a squad that’s plenty big enough, covering gaps and make sure there’s competition for places. We have hired that new director of performance. We have signed up some of the best young players on good contracts. The women’s team is doing exceptionally well by all accounts.

The problem is that some of the senior men’s signings haven’t worked out, as well as the legacy of some players who were already here and have been difficult to shift.

So yeah? IMO it’s the outcomes that people are pissed off about rather than words or actions.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I would say that both the words and the actions are good, it’s the outcomes that are missing. We have a squad that’s plenty big enough, covering gaps and make sure there’s competition for places. We have hired that new director of performance. We have signed up some of the best young players on good contracts. The women’s team is doing exceptionally well by all accounts.

The problem is that some of the senior men’s signings haven’t worked out, as well as the legacy of some players who were already here and have been difficult to shift.

So yeah? IMO it’s the outcomes that people are pissed off about rather than words or actions.
    I don't know about actions Vs outcomes. In some sense, if you are signing a particular profile of player to fit the team's style, and the player is competitive and up for the fight, the score should take care of itself. 

I'd question what profile of player we have been trying to sign for the past few windows.