Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    Yes I am doubtful we will sign the quality striker we need but like others, I would prefer Ladapo to JCH if that was an option.

We have a lot of raw talented youngsters in our squad from our own academy, so I will repeat what I was saying in the summer, stop signing other teams young talent on loan unless they are a once in a generation far too good for this league like Rak-Sakyi. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Genuinely why would a player like Ladapo choose to come to us? A club that is now well and truly mid table league one. 
    Think he's a bit unusual as he'd be able to be closer to family presumably. I guess also the clubs above us are less likely to be going in for a striker and it's a chance to be the main man who lifts the team into the playoffs. A chance to partner with May could be good too
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Genuinely why would a player like Ladapo choose to come to us? A club that is now well and truly mid table league one. 
    Plenty of reasons. We don't have to be a midtable club. We're a relatively big club for the league, big stadium and decent history. We're not a million miles away and it just takes a few very good signings for things to turn around, and he can be one of them. Add to that that he might rather play for an average L1 team than sit on the bench aged 30 and watch his career slide away. Plus he's a footballer; if we're willing to pay him what he wants he'll go where that money is.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Same reason nearly all players move/choose clubs, money. If we pay Ipswich more than anyone else we get him, or if we pay Ladapo more than anyone else we get him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    A question for me that arises out of @Henry Irving post is does Appleton have a direct access to the money men ? He presumably deals with Methven and Scott who approach the money or not. I suspect Henry’s first sentence is pretty close to being spot on. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    For those who are unhappy with the level of investment, what would have been an acceptable amount of money for them to invest in fees in the summer window? 
  • Options
    A question for me that arises out of @Henry Irving post is does Appleton have a direct access to the money men ? He presumably deals with Methven and Scott who approach the money or not. I suspect Henry’s first sentence is pretty close to being spot on. 
    Can't see why he would have contact with them apart from maybe a quick chat when they're at games. They're not really involved in running the club and clearly trust the structure they've put in place
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Can't see why he would have contact with them apart from maybe a quick chat when they're at games. They're not really involved in running the club and clearly trust the structure they've put in place
    Then if the investors were spun a bit of a line we’re going to struggle. Our budget so far has looked woefully inadequate for a promotion push.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    For those who are unhappy with the level of investment, what would have been an acceptable amount of money for them to invest in fees in the summer window? 
    I'd say at least 1-2m is required for us to get out of this league. And i don't mean on 1-2 players, i think it needs to be spent sensibly on at least 4-5 players (May of course was one).

To me it seems crazy to spend the money they did buying a loss making club and then spend hardly anything on players and then watch us stagnate in league one. If you're going to spend 10m+ on a club then i don't see why you wouldn't have an investment plan to get it promoted. 

And yes of course i know they're funding the losses, but they knew they'd be funding the losses when they took over, and equally they probably knew that funding losses and not buying good players wouldn't get us very far.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Then if the investors were spun a bit of a line we’re going to struggle. Our budget so far has looked woefully inadequate for a promotion push.
    And there's the rub.
    Did Methven and co. persuade them that that budget would be sufficient?
    If the SMT persuaded the owners they could get a win on the cheap it could all start to unravel very soon.
    We are de facto a mid-table third division club, the squad is constrained by Legacy Duds, overpopulated with kids, disjointed and short on quality. Even before we get to injuries.
    Our ground is too big for us and the fanbase will continue to dwindle unless recruitement budget and quality is addressed.
    How long before the board see through the emperor's new clothes?
    Then what?

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    I'd say at least 1-2m is required for us to get out of this league. And i don't mean on 1-2 players, i think it needs to be spent sensibly on at least 4-5 players (May of course was one).

To me it seems crazy to spend the money they did buying a loss making club and then spend hardly anything on players and then watch us stagnate in league one. If you're going to spend 10m+ on a club then i don't see why you wouldn't have an investment plan to get it promoted. 

And yes of course i know they're funding the losses, but they knew they'd be funding the losses when they took over, and equally they probably knew that funding losses and not buying good players wouldn't get us very far.
    No they were told the SMT would halve the losses because they are geniuses and then through player trading would break even, whilst assembling a squad to push for promotion too.

That, sadly, isn't possible.   The money men didn't need to know that, they just needed persuading that it was possible. 

A friend of mine (through my work) sat with me last week and he went to college with CM.

CM has told everybody what a bloody good job he did at Sunderland and my friend had no idea about using the Parachute payments to "buy" the club or in fact fail to get promoted using them too. 

I'm not blaming CM for using somebody else's money (the Premier League) to buy Sunderland and not blaming him doing the same thing here to buy Charlton, but quite simply it really isn't possible, unless you are bloody brilliant and lucky in equal measure to reduce Charlton's losses, sell off players to achieve break even AND get promoted out of this Division with our cost basis and attendances.

That's just facts.

• Options
    Chunes said:

Agree but I think as Henry has intimated already. Methven might well have said that spending after purchase wasn’t a priority because it could be made to work by spending smarter and working better. We all know that’s bollox.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Remember the quotes that were floated in about us 'reaching our wage budget' even though we'd let go a bunch of high-paid players in the summer transfer window? 

It'll be the same story about how big our budget is, but contrasted with how skint we are for transfers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Came on as a sub for one minute in a game I've tried really hard to forget about. 

Doesn't sound too inspiring on paper, can't lie, well other than that he was born in the Bronx, that's pretty cool.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Came on as a sub for one minute in a game I've tried really hard to forget about. 

Doesn't sound too inspiring on paper, can't lie, well other than that he was born in the Bronx, that's pretty cool.
    That might preclude him from taking up some roles at the Club, but playing isn't one of them!
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    JCH is out of a contract this summer. He is out of favour. They have had a couple of other younger players scoring for them. When I saw him for the first time I thought he is a goal scorer but does very little else. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on him, given his age. He hasn't done it at Championship level.

I would be in 2 minds wether to sign him as a short gap for next 2 years for £500,000. 
    He's far too lazy for Appleton 

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    worth noting JCH isn’t having a great season goal wise. 4 goals in 16 games, 12 of which were starts and hasn’t scored in the league since September 
    Been to see a few Posh home games this season (partner's son has a box). JCH not really the answer for us, even Posh supporters don't really rate him.
    He scores goals but his all-round game is pretty poor. Would still be a good signing for the goals though 
    As Fenaddick states above - "worth noting JCH isn’t having a great season goal wise. 4 goals in 16 games, 12 of which were starts and hasn’t scored in the league since September"

Can't see the majority of fans being happy 'guaranteed goals' hasn't scored since September. Think the wages he would be on and the fee McAntony wants would be prohibitive. 
  • Options
    Dream on if you think we are signing JCH or anyone of that ilk! We won’t be signing anyone decent in Jan. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Doesn't sound too inspiring on paper, can't lie, well other than that he was born in the Bronx, that's pretty cool.
    Based on how many minutes he’s played for them since, I’d imagine that was a conscious decision by their manager based either on him being a key player of theirs or him not getting a full pre season.

The clips I saw of him appear to show a player comfortable on the ball and can use either foot, hence him popping up at both left and right back as well as in midfield this season.

Played 100 League One games across four and a half years for Wimbledon and Morecambe.

Seems like he’d been a utility man more than a standout. But who knows.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    fenaddick said:

Get da fuck outta here.....
    No shit, I got the scoop from little Paulie,

Send my best to Carmine will ya