Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Maybe to start next seasons re-build early. 
    Remember Andy Scott doesn't want players who want to play for Charlton and doesn't want players on loan. So in January with us a bob average, mid table L1 club going nowhere he needs to persuade these sort after players who think they are better than Charlton to lower their sights to us.  Good luck with that Andy.
  • Options
    I mean if we're looking to set up in the best way possible for our players, I can't see any formation that screams out. 

I'd probably look at 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 over anything else. 4-4-2 allows both CBT and May to shine most. 3-5-2 could leave us more exposed if CBT is in the side. 
  • Options
    4231 for me, with May as the 10 dropping deep to get the ball, but also when we're attacking a game pushing right up to be up top with the number 9. The wingers primary objective should be driving runs at the fullbacks, either getting to the byline and cutting the ball back like CBT for the second today, or cutting inside and shooting like CBT on most occasions. 

The 2 central midfielders need to be mobile, tenacious and able to pick out a pass. If Dobson has a clone that would be ideal and we'll play the two of them together (making sure to teach the clone not to follow the ball too much) 

That leaves you with the defence, which needs to be made up of 4 physical specimens, strong, quick and with high concentration levels, and the keeper, who needs to not rush out of his bloody goal at all times trying to be some kind of masked hero
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

There's being positive @Callumcafc and then there's being plan daft!

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
    I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 
    Yes, it's a bit of a flaw with the squad that our best 2 attacking players suit different systems, CBT a 433 with a mobile target man number 9, while May suits a 352 alongside a physical target man. Never mind Miles, what May needs is Carl Leaburn!

Play 352, and you either leave CBT out or play him at wing back exposing his poor defensive qualities.

Play 433 and May
    1) is battling in the centre against giant centre backs
    2) played out wide, with the risk that he's too far away from the box, or
    3) played as a Number 10, leaving us with a 2 man midfield likely to be overrun.
    Exactly my thought process mate, I would simply build the team around May though purely due to how potent he is and being our player in the 'long' term. 

CBT could be off and we are stuffed again. May needs a strike partner to build an understanding with.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Still worried that Dobson and CBT haven’t signed new contracts.Don’t look promising. 
    I still think they’ll sign in due course. Dobson especially I think will be done. CBT could be gone in January.

I’m less worried than most about it all. There have been half a dozen teams promoted out of this league since we signed either of them. 

None of them had Dobson or Blackett-Taylor in their team (obviously) and without looking at the squads of those respective teams, I’m not sure either of them get in to those teams’ first XI either. 

Sunderland moved Dobbo on and got promoted the following season… not saying he was the issue there by any means but it’s very reminiscent of the summer we got rid of player of the year Jose Semedo and went and got promoted the following season.

Of course we would have to replace Dobbo and CBT if they leave and that takes work. But they’re not irreplaceable footballers.
    I don't believe Dobson and CBT are easily replaced.   I think they're the best two of their type footballers in this Division.

We apparently have been recruiting for a specific formation.  Replacing these two is going to cost £millions in my opinion- in terms of transfer fees, agent fees and wages.

We're crazy thinking losing two of our best players is advisable when our recent recruitment has been shite and we don't have much money it appears.

There's being positive @Callumcafc and then there's being plan daft!

I didn't say it's "advisable" to lose them - I said I'm less worried than most. I don't think it's a disaster if they moved on.

Take your point about the last couple of windows, although I don't think money is necessarily the problem. Especially in regards to our summer business where fees were spent both on permanent transfers and loans.

The only player who I believe would be a disaster to lose at this point is Alfie May. Towards the rest, academy boys aside, I mostly feel apathy.
    I see where you're coming from, in particular Corey, I actually think he holds the team back in a weird way. He's been one of our best performers but he is fairly hot and cold. He carries a bit when he's having one of his days but when he's off his game we really suffer strategically.

There aren't many formations that suit him and the one that does hinders May imo. I would rather CBT stay, as he is an impactful player, but I think we need a rebuild and CBT wouldn't be a part of it for me. May would be the main man which would mean a 352 or a 442. 

Dobson however would be harder to replace I think, if I had to pick one it would be Dobson all day. 
    Yes, it's a bit of a flaw with the squad that our best 2 attacking players suit different systems, CBT a 433 with a mobile target man number 9, while May suits a 352 alongside a physical target man. Never mind Miles, what May needs is Carl Leaburn!

Play 352, and you either leave CBT out or play him at wing back exposing his poor defensive qualities.

Play 433 and May
    1) is battling in the centre against giant centre backs
    2) played out wide, with the risk that he's too far away from the box, or
    3) played as a Number 10, leaving us with a 2 man midfield likely to be overrun.
    Exactly my thought process mate, I would simply build the team around May though purely due to how potent he is and being our player in the 'long' term. 

CBT could be off and we are stuffed again. May needs a strike partner to build an understanding with.
    agreed - there is no question that CBT can be a fantastic at doing what he does at times but he needs to be in a team where he can be brought in and out, not used as a mainstay because his defensive side of the game is so lacking - we need to build around may and dobbo for me - if aneke could be fit iall the time i'd add him in but that isn't going to happen - sort dobbo out with a golden handshake deal , offload cbt and build around dobbo and may is the way forward.     
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Possibly the biggest difficulty in bringing in new faces will be to first get rid of some old faces
    Imagine this will be the case with the player wage limits, yes. First priority should be sending back Tedic and probably Camara too if neither are going to contribute much between now and end of the season.

Kirk isn’t on a small wage either but he’s our player so it’s not as easy as just sending him back to a parent club. We have to be more creative there, may have to continue paying a portion of his wage just to get another couple of grand a week off the books. Would Crewe want him back if they paid a couple grand a week of his wage?

Those three moves should give us enough room to bring in some fresh blood. Hopefully a defender or two is the priority. 🙏
  • Options
    A bit like last year, if we aren’t within touching distance of the play offs we are going to struggle to sign anyone good 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Been keeping an eye on Caleb Taylor ever since his name came up a couple of weeks ago.

He was an unused sub for WBA yesterday. As he has been for multiple weeks now.
    Great an unused sub, not yet 21 years old to play centre half for us, on loan.
    Just what we need - not.  We need another Lloyd Jones.  Good profile, EXPERIENCED in this division or the one below, aged under 26.

What I don't understand is if you do your research PROPERLY and spend real money on the best young players from our division and the division below that if you do it sensibly, you will most likely be able tl sell those players for MORE than you bought them for a couple of years prior.

Right recruitment = right results = player profit on transfers

Now two things 

A)  you need the cash
    B) you need the right people recruiting

We have two Billionaires in our ownership

It isn't rocket science.  It really isn't. 

So, let's send back Tedic, Abankwah and Camara and keep Kanu in the side and Deji in the squad.  Kanu has been more impactful than Tedic all year and Deji is one of our own. 

Give Kirk away - he's not in the squad, he didn't even attend the Fans Xmas party yesterday. 

Spend some money.  

I KNOW it's not my money but they are currently just throwing £5m per season away.  Sorry - the financiers are.

• Options
    Loans certainly do have an important role in lower league football. What they should be though in my humble opinion is the icing on the cake not the cake itself. You have to have the core first eleven in place and up to scratch. Getting in players like those mentioned can turn that core group into top six material. 
  • Options
    Got absolutely no problems at all with a signing like Taylor if he's going to come in and start. Knows the league at least.

I hope Apples is right and it's a busy window in and out because it needs to be. I hope it's more than just swapping around loan players too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we need new players for us to be competitive and get out of league 1, but we have some outstanding youngsters and in a couple of years they're going to take us to a new level. As much as I keep feeling disappointed with our results and position, I'm very optimistic about our future. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Been keeping an eye on Caleb Taylor ever since his name came up a couple of weeks ago.

Just what we need - not.  We need another Lloyd Jones.  Good profile, EXPERIENCED in this division or the one below, aged under 26.

What I don't understand is if you do your research PROPERLY and spend real money on the best young players from our division and the division below that if you do it sensibly, you will most likely be able tl sell those players for MORE than you bought them for a couple of years prior.

Now two things 

A)  you need the cash

So, let's send back Tedic, Abankwah and Camara and keep Kanu in the side and Deji in the squad.  Kanu has been more impactful than Tedic all year and Deji is one of our own. 

Give Kirk away - he's not in the squad, he didn't even attend the Fans Xmas party yesterday. 

Spend some money.  

I KNOW it's not my money but they are currently just throwing £5m per season away.  Sorry - the financiers are.

By that logic we would’ve never signed Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher…

Loan players have their place in this league. You just have to get them right. And let’s not gloss over the fact that he had a full season in this division last season, making 36 appearances in the process.

By all Cheltenham’s fans reckoning, we’d be very lucky to have him and WBA are missing out big time by not having him more involved in their first team.

They weren’t too far wrong about Alfie.
    I'm going to trust the West Brom manager's opinion more than yours alas @Callumcafc when it comes to his side

If the Cheltenham fans truly say this and we sign him, I'll listen to them

But right now, I'm not sure he's what we need.  Just my opinion.

For Bielek, Cullen and Gallgher I give you Smith, Smith, Penney etc etc etc

As its January window I'd like to see us sign 3-4 permanent players, aged under 26, in the top profile of players in this Division or the one below and quite happy for the club to say that come end of 2025 Season, if we haven't gone up players will need to be sold to balance the books.

That MIGHT persuade Dobson, CBT and Leaburn yo give us until that time too.

If we sell Dobson and CBT in Jan or let their contracts run out, we are back to minus square one all over again. 

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Got absolutely no problems at all with a signing like Taylor if he's going to come in and start. Knows the league at least.

I hope Apples is right and it's a busy window in and out because it needs to be. I hope it's more than just swapping around loan players too. 
    Absolutely but the thing is with players coming in January on loan who do well is that they’ve gone again in the summer and you start again from scratch. I’m sure the lad is very good but will he turn us into a top six side this season ? No way. I’m hoping we sign two permanent players who are up to playing in a top six side and start to build something around them and who we’ve already got. Jones, Dobson and May. All the others will either be off CBT and Leaburn or just don’t cut the mustard. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Just listening to the always excellent Charlton Live podcast, interesting Appletons final answer, could not have been more blunt that we need an exciting January, decent amount of new faces if we are not to be destined for another season of failure. 

Hopefully it is because he knows something and not because he is yet another manager who knows he has been done over by those making decisions like so many of our managers in the last few seasons. 

Fear it is going to be a long not very happy December waiting to see what they are willing to do to change our fortunes ideally by the time we head to Port Vale. 
    Middle paragraph is my thinking.
  • Options
    I think we also need an older head. Recruitment isn't just about bringing in hungry 20 somethings with a resale value, you do need some experience, someone with genuine leadership skills when the youngsters are getting a bit "frantic". 

Of course this has to be the right person, someone still with hunger, rather than someone physically clapped out or mentally "retired", looking for a final payday.
    Absolutely agree. My ideal window includes two centre backs.

If one was to be Taylor from WBA, the other has to have leadership qualities in the Jason Pearce mold.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Now two things 

A)  you need the cash

Spend some money.  

By that logic we would’ve never signed Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher…

Loan players have their place in this league. You just have to get them right. And let’s not gloss over the fact that he had a full season in this division last season, making 36 appearances in the process.

By all Cheltenham’s fans reckoning, we’d be very lucky to have him and WBA are missing out big time by not having him more involved in their first team.

They weren’t too far wrong about Alfie.
    I'm going to trust the West Brom manager's opinion more than yours alas @Callumcafc when it comes to his side

If the Cheltenham fans truly say this and we sign him, I'll listen to them

But right now, I'm not sure he's what we need.  Just my opinion.

For Bielek, Cullen and Gallgher I give you Smith, Smith, Penney etc etc etc

As its January window I'd like to see us sign 3-4 permanent players, aged under 26, in the top profile of players in this Division or the one below and quite happy for the club to say that come end of 2025 Season, if we haven't gone up players will need to be sold to balance the books.

That MIGHT persuade Dobson, CBT and Leaburn yo give us until that time too.

If we sell Dobson and CBT in Jan or let their contracts run out, we are back to minus square one all over again. 

Generally agree with the idea that we should be leaning towards young and hungry players that can be brought in on permanent deals.

I think this is the approach we should take with our attacking recruits if possible. We have that end of the pitch figured out - we score plenty of goals. Add what talent we can to keep things ticking over.

While in defence, in the short term, I’m much more in favour of “sign whoever we can that’s gonna stop us leaking goals” no matter what age they are, whether they are on loan or a permanent. If a defender ticks both your boxes and my boxes, it’s a win win for everyone.

When we look like we’ve fixed that major problem, we can start to approach the defensive group in the same way I hope we recruit attacking players.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Absolutely but the thing is with players coming in January on loan who do well is that they’ve gone again in the summer and you start again from scratch. I’m sure the lad is very good but will he turn us into a top six side this season ? No way. I’m hoping we sign two permanent players who are up to playing in a top six side and start to build something around them and who we’ve already got. Jones, Dobson and May. All the others will either be off CBT and Leaburn or just don’t cut the mustard. 

January loans are always a minefield , we've certainly had a few duds over the years from the January window. I'd always rather take permeant signings over loans and start to stop having to have 10 signing summers because the core is already there. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think the full quote from Appleton (aired on Charlton Live) deserves sharing.

Journo: How many players do you think you need?

Apples: Hard to say, but it certainly won't be one or two, put it that way. It's going to be more than a handful... Listen, at the end of the day, if we want to compete at the top end of this league, that has to happen. If not, we'll be where we have been for the last two or three seasons and just be a mid-table team. And I don't want that, I haven't come here to do that, and I'm sure everyone else is in the same boat. Hopefully January will be an exciting time for Charlton fans."
    You have to say that’s at least slightly encouraging 
    He not stupid .. if he says 6 and we get 3 he knows the over the top reaction so let’s say 1 or 2 knowing they are looking at 4