Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    I think we also need an older head. Recruitment isn't just about bringing in hungry 20 somethings with a resale value, you do need some experience, someone with genuine leadership skills when the youngsters are getting a bit "frantic". 

Of course this has to be the right person, someone still with hunger, rather than someone physically clapped out or mentally "retired", looking for a final payday.
    Absolutely agree. My ideal window includes two centre backs.

If one was to be Taylor from WBA, the other has to have leadership qualities in the Jason Pearce mold.
    Look no further 

Compared to other CBs in league 1, Piergianni is in the bottom 1% and Dunkley the bottom 8% for pass accuracy. Would be 2 signings over the age of 30 that don’t fit how we want to play football. 

Surely we’ve learned by now that we need to recruit players to fit the way we are playing? It’s not just about signing good players, we need good players that fit the style/system. Caleb Taylor is a much better signing for us than either of them 
    Miles Leaburn has even worse than Piergianni? Who cares, they're efficient in what they are meant to do, keep that ball out of that onion bag. We lack fighters and heart. We aren't Man City and we won't be holding on to any centre backs that make 90% of their passes and can defend (like Ronnie Edwards) they'll be sold. 

30? Even better, our best player by a mile is 30 and puts in a shift more than most of these lot. Sign more 30 year olds if you ask me.

Yes, Caleb Taylor on loan, with less than 40 senior mens team appearances, is what we need to sort this bottleless team out. Not two centre backs who occupy 4th and 6th highest ratings in the league on whoscored. Alfie May 10th for context and we know the performances he puts in. 

Not saying Caleb Taylor is bad, I don't even know him, I just think we need experience right now. 

It's making a lot of sense that your username is Naby Sarr unless that's irony 😂
  • Options
    We need to be signing players around the age of 25/26 who have the experience, the ability to step up a level and whom we can plan around for the next two or three years. Dunkirk and Pietgianni are not them. Depending what happens the next three games if we are still ten points or more off the play offs come 1st Jan then we are basically planning for next season.
    Alfie May is 30, has the ability to step up (arguably the only one) and will be around for 3 years.

I am genuinely failing to see the difference with Alf and a centre back that's 30. If anything the older centre backs have more longevity?

Imo we build a team around May for the short-mid term future and try and get promoted with that squad. We won't be able to build a team with early 20s players, that's football manager stuff, they'll be sold in an instant before we can even build a team.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Strikers generally have low pass accuracy, much lower than CBs

I don't think we'll be signing any CB who isn't comfortable on the ball.
  • Options
    Does that Appleton quote sound more like him nudging the board, than saying what’s going to happen?

Whoever we sign we need winners and a smattering of hard league 1 bastards in the Andy Hughes mould. 

• Options
    Andy Hughes started like 10 games for us, ever. He was a useful, extremely limited bit-part squad player. Yes he was good in the dressing room or whatever. I wish we'd stop citing him as an exemplary League One midfielder more than 10 years on, football has changed. 
  • Options
    I never said exemplary. I’m talking guts, aggression and will to win. This squad doesn’t have any of that save for Alfie May and Dobson
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Strikers generally have low pass accuracy, much lower than CBs

I don't think we'll be signing any CB who isn't comfortable on the ball.
    Tbf that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Leaburn excels in other areas other than passing so he gets away with his lack of accuracy.

Similar to how those two are top of the food chain in certain aspects so some poor passing accuracy can be forgiven, I of course understand a centre back will have to pass the ball more than a striker as well.

This is where I think they are a product of their environment and would have better pass stats if they came to Charlton. They have qualities that we currently lack. 

As an example, here are Chey and Jones matched up from last season: 

Chey Dunnkley, ranked 53rd overall player ratings.

46 apps - 5 goals - 3 assists - pass success 61.7% - aerial duals won average 5.1 per game - average match rating 6.92 

Lloyd Jones, ranked 92nd overall 

36 apps - 4 goals - 0 assists - 69.5% pass accuracy - aerial dual average 4.3 per game - average match rating of 6.80 

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Compared to Lloyd Jones so far this season: 

18 apps - 0 goals - 0 assists - 80.8% pass success - 5.2 aerial duals per game won and an average match score of 6.94.

Passing has accuracy gone up by 11% 

Which suggests it was the team enabling that style, not the player. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting comments from Appleton. He either knows there is investment coming or he is putting pressure on the owners and is sick of being judged based on a poor squad - my money is on the latter. 
    I agree but anything Appleton says is ultimately futile.  There is nobody significant coming in and he knows it.

Methven's yes-men run the show on an inadequate budget funding players that do not play and and Appleton's views and opinions count for little.

His days are numbered and not because of results. 

• Options
    edited December 2023

18 apps - 0 goals - 0 assits - 80.8% pass success - 5.2 aerial duals per game won and an average match score of 6.94.

Passing accuracy gone up by 11% 

Different style of football though.. Cambridge would play long, so accuracy would go down. Now he is making more short passes, so would improve.

Edit: I have just seen you posted much of the same
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's a fair point. It's less about their pass accuracy stats and more about whether they are comfortable on the ball or not. The last thing we need is another Innis/Lavelle being asked to do something they're clearly uncomfortable doing. The whole team shape changes when a defender like Jones receives the ball, and the team know he's going to distribute it well, compared to an Innis, where they worry he's going to miscontrol it - they start dropping back, worrying about covering space, gaps behind them, etc..

This is the major thing for me. Any CB signing has to be someone that's comfortable on the ball and I would be concerned about someone like Dunkley or Piergianni being another Innis. 

I don't know if he's been injured again but Patrick Bauer has only played once for Preston this season....
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    It's time fir Scott to stop waffling and sort some decent players out. Nothing more to add apart from he needs to stop finding excuses.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Ness should be moved on IMO, for a nominal fee if anything. He's not at the required level and if we can bring in a top-quality CB to push or upgrade Hector & Jones, then it can only be positive. 
    I agree we need one at this time
    I hope Ness gets back to Ness of when he broke through but maybe that isn't possible, sadly.
    Personally, and I said this at the time so it’s not hindsight, I didn’t think Ness was that great when he broke into the team. I think a combination of how poor we were at the back, combined with a player who had effectively come through our youth system, with that ‘romance story’ of playing in the national league led to individuals probably elevating his ability above what it is. 

That’s not to say he was poor, and he has some very strong attributes to his game, but I am not sure he has enough to ever be part of a promotion winning league one team. 

• Options
    I think Jones is pretty handy on the ball tbh, more his dribbling than his passing 
  • Options
    Our problem this season has been midfield. The injuries, the lack of the right combination, the lack of strength, the flimsiness in wide areas, the fact it's all built around a pure DM who tries to do the work of four men and has started to lose the ball a startling large number of times...the midfield is the problem and has been all season 
  • Options
    CM is an interesting one , I do expect a CM to come in but I think Camara goes back to Ipswich to facilitate it. Haven't seen enough of Taylor to judge what he's going to be like once he's fit. 
  • Options
    Sounds to me like Appleton is putting pressure on the board to back him. I'm not convinced that they will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new 6/DM come in regardless of Dobbo staying or not. We either need to replace him or get some effective cover so he can have the odd game off. Think it will cause uproar amongst lots of fans but it’s just good forward planning 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Id have to say midfield is the issue. Fraser technically good but cant keep up with the pace it seems so goes missing a fair amount. Not sure what Louis Watson is doing wrong to not get picked but we need players with his engine. We are quite weak otherwise and have no bite unless its from Dobbo but he ends up getting dragged out of position with no one having the sense to cover him so we get over run. 

Sure, we can use at least one more CB and one more striker and id even say we need another winger as Tyreeces form is worryingly poor but we have no spine and that's down to midfield.

I hope Chem Campbell stays, I think given a run of games he could be a good player for us. Tedic and Camara (massive shame I think!) to go back and Kirk and Ness leaving and possibly Fraser. 

Either way, it will be an interesting January to see what happens. Imagine the level of signings will be judged by how far/close we are away from play offs. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

18 apps - 0 goals - 0 assists - 80.8% pass success - 5.2 aerial duals per game won and an average match score of 6.94.

Lloyd Jones is from a premier league academy, it was much more likely that he’d be able to play a different style than Dunkley or especially Piergianni with his background. Also Jones isn’t even that good on the ball, which is why Hector plays next to him and is the much better of the 2 on the ball. If we are signing a partner for Jones they simply have to be at least better on the ball than Jones is for the way Appleton will want to play football

I don’t think Dunkley would be a bad signing, in fact I was quite keen on us signing him when he left Wednesday. But I’m also not sure spending a fee on him would be the smartest move when you can probably buy a better all-round defender. Piergianni would be a very poor idea, he has never played in sides that play football. You can’t pluck a player out of a team that plays a completely different style, slot him into our team and expect it to work 
    Our best player has no Premier league academy experience, it doesn't really mean anything. There are plenty of players with Premier league academy experience that won't make it as professional footballers or have already given up. 

I see your point in that he has potential based on his background, but I personally don't care where a player is from, as long as they are performing week in and week out.

I don't know if we watch the same team at times (not specifically aimed at you mate) as Jones to me looks far more efficient on the ball. He drives it forward better and looks more composed. Did you not see Hector with those nonsense kick ups against Cambridge? The bloke thinks he's a lot better than what he is. They are of at least the same level on the ball, there is no way Hector can be classed as much better. 

You absolutely can do that, Alfie May played a different style at Cheltenham and doesn't seem to be doing too bad, Lyle Taylor played for Wimbledon and did alright for us, as a centre back example, Lloyd Jones came from a team who don't play liquid football and adjusted just fine. 

As for Piergianni not playing in a footballing side, I don't know who you think Charlton Atheltic are mate, but Stevenage are a better team than us this season (so far) and they probably should have beaten us in the Carabao Cup last season if it wasn't for some Aneke magic. His job is to make his side better defensively. That's what he does. Why do you think we can play this style of football when we can't, it would take a ton of investment and a completely different setup at the club. 

We need players with character, who can play a bit, that's our recipe. We don't do liquid football mate, don't think we ever have and if we have, it hasn't been for many games at all.

Either way it's all nonsense, Piregianni is out of our reach as he's at a better side and has a chance of getting promoted and we won't spend on Dunkley. 

Apologies for clogging the thread those hoping to see some rumours but as I always say, this must be your first rodeo on a rumours thread 😉
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think Jones is pretty handy on the ball tbh, more his dribbling than his passing 
    He’s decent and doesn’t make many mistakes, but if you take Hector out of the defence I think we’d noticeably see a difference and that we’d struggle to progress the ball up the pitch. Hector regularly finds forward passes between the lines, which is even more important now that we don’t have a Leaburn/Aneke up top to go long too 

• Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:

Lloyd Jones is from a premier league academy, it was much more likely that he’d be able to play a different style than Dunkley or especially Piergianni with his background. Also Jones isn’t even that good on the ball, which is why Hector plays next to him and is the much better of the 2 on the ball. If we are signing a partner for Jones they simply have to be at least better on the ball than Jones is for the way Appleton will want to play football

I don’t think Dunkley would be a bad signing, in fact I was quite keen on us signing him when he left Wednesday. But I’m also not sure spending a fee on him would be the smartest move when you can probably buy a better all-round defender. Piergianni would be a very poor idea, he has never played in sides that play football. You can’t pluck a player out of a team that plays a completely different style, slot him into our team and expect it to work 
    Our best player has no Premier league academy experience, it doesn't really mean anything. There are plenty of players with Premier league academy experience that won't make it as professional footballers or have already given up. 

I see your point in that he has potential based on his background, but I personally don't care where a player is from, as long as they are performing week in and week out.

I don't know if we watch the same team at times (not specifically aimed at you mate) as Jones to me looks far more efficient on the ball. He drives it forward better and looks more composed. Did you not see Hector with those nonsense kick ups against Cambridge? The bloke thinks he's a lot better than what he is. They are of at least the same level on the ball, there is no way Hector can be classed as much better. 

You absolutely can do that, Alfie May played a different style at Cheltenham and doesn't seem to be doing too bad, Lyle Taylor played for Wimbledon and did alright for us, as a centre back example, Lloyd Jones came from a team who don't play liquid football and adjusted just fine. 

As for Piergianni not playing in a footballing side, I don't know who you think Charlton Atheltic are mate, but Stevenage are a better team than us this season (so far) and they probably should have beaten us in the Carabao Cup last season if it wasn't for some Aneke magic. His job is to make his side better defensively. That's what he does. Why do you think we can play this style of football when we can't, it would take a ton of investment and a completely different setup at the club. 

We need players with character, who can play a bit, that's our recipe. We don't do liquid football mate, don't think we ever have and if we have, it hasn't been for many games at all.

Either way it's all nonsense, Piregianni is out of our reach as he's at a better side and has a chance of getting promoted and we won't spend on Dunkley. 

Apologies for clogging the thread those hoping to see some rumours but as I always say, this must be your first rodeo on a rumours thread 😉
    A premier league academy upbringing  (especially a top one) is more likely to mean a centre back is more comfortable on the ball. He wouldn’t have stayed at Liverpool as long as he did if he wasn’t.

Hector gives the ball away more than Jones, but Hector also makes much better passes. Just look at the goals we’ve scored this week, 2 came from Hectors long passes that Jones or any of the other centre backs mentioned probably wouldn’t have even attempted and if they had would probably not have pulled off 

I agree we need a better defender who can actually defend. But we should be looking for a player who can do both sides of the game well
  • Options
    I'm quite alarmed with The Scottish Pirlo, he hasn't come back the same player since his injury , no where near his levels of last season, i wonder how much his injury has taken out of him?
  • Options
    I'm quite alarmed with The Scottish Pirlo, he hasn't come back the same player since his injury , no where near his levels of last season, i wonder how much his injury has taken out of him?
    Doesn’t help that Appleton keeps playing him back next to Dobson, but he’s been really poor. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The two CBs I’ve talked about wanting are Ness and Thomas replacements.

Ness needs a loan to L2 or the National League to get some confidence back. Not ready to write him off just yet.
    Ness seems like he has a low ceiling to me. He may play mid-table League One some day but I'd be shocked to see him any higher. 
  • Options
    As this is a transfer thread where lots of nonsense is posted... Kirk wasn't at the Junior Reds party yesterday (outside Leaburn and Camara the only first teamer that wasn't there I can think of). A sure sign he is leaving in Jan... Or more likely he has a cold or something! 
  • Options
    As this is a transfer thread where lots of nonsense is posted... Kirk wasn't at the Junior Reds party yesterday (outside Leaburn and Camara the only first teamer that wasn't there I can think of). A sure sign he is leaving in Jan... Or more likely he has a cold or something! 
    I think we are stuck with CK , no one will be able to afford his wages.