Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    I'll ask a few Cheltenham fans tonight about him, try and get a scoop 
  • Options
    20 year old centre back, 6’2. Played 36 times for Cheltenham last season.

Would fit the bill of replacing Abankwah assuming he goes back. 
  • Options
    You'd hope we'd asked the opinion of May if that's true
  • Options
    Taylor was excellent for Cheltenham against us last game of last season.
  • Options
    His dad is former Watford and Birmingham centre half, Martin. Who I vaguely remember.  
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    His dad is former Watford and Birmingham centre half, Martin. Who I vaguely remember.  
    He's the one that broke Eduardo's leg wasn't he?
  • Options
    He’d be a brilliant signing, just what we need. Tall, good defender and also composed on the ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds promising.
  • Options
    He's only 20 so assume this would be a loan?
  • Options
    So we’re going to need a striker in January. Would we have the resources to go after a JCH or Ladapo? I don’t even know how many minutes Ladapo has been getting last few weeks
  • Options
    So we’re going to need a striker in January. Would we have the resources to go after a JCH or Ladapo? I don’t even know how many minutes Ladapo has been getting last few weeks
    Preferably get 2 and send Tedić back unless he earns his place in the next month 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    My feeling is that two might be a stretch in one January window. Now that Miles is out for the season, keeping Tedić around for continuity might not be the worst idea… he might surprise a few.
  • Options
    Ladapo has played 7 times since beginning of October. 6 of those have been for 22 minutes or less. One game was 70 minutes in EFL Cup. 
  • Options
    Ladapo has played 7 times since beginning of October. 6 of those have been for 22 minutes or less. One game was 70 minutes in EFL Cup. 
    Might be up for a move then. Whether or not he'd want to move to Charlton specifically is a whole different question mind you...
  • Options
    I think there’s a little bit of money to spend but not enough to transform our season from mid table to playoffs and I think we’ll get a PL or Championship loan striker plus keep Tedic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cawley has said we were looking at strikers anyway, hopefully means we won’t have to rush into a bad decision 
  • Options
    My feeling is that two might be a stretch in one January window. Now that Miles is out for the season, keeping Tedić around for continuity might not be the worst idea… he might surprise a few.
    Miles is out for the season, I must have missed that one?
  • Options
    Surgery on his hamstring - out for five months. Maybe he’ll be back by late April at best.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Surgery on his hamstring - out for five months. Maybe he’ll be back by late April at best.
    Gutting, I thought he was only going to be out for about 3 weeks, season over then for the club as well, unless they come up with a winning formula.
  • Options
    The squad needed major changes in the summer and we didn't get it. A couple of loanees who disappoint is all the business we do 
  • Options
    Caught up this morning with the latest 'Where's the Money Gone?' pod with Adrian Goldberg and Charlie Methven. The latest episode is about why investors from the U.S. are currently putting their money into 'soccer' this side of the Pond. It's 30 minutes long and worth a listen as CM gives his opinion on why there's been so much in both the Prem and EFL.

One of his observations is how American investors in a L1 club (he chose L1 as his example for the EFL clubs) see the journey up the pyramid as a strategic one taking 5 - 10 years and how it's easier to get their attention with that rather than say a specific punt for a L1 striker in the January window.

I don't think there'll be many 'oven ready' signings in the next window but my experience of American companies is they do listen to short term spending arguments and will boost budgets if that's what's needed to keep the long term company trajectory on track.

MA is improving things but he can only tune the current engine so far, I reckon we'll see one, maybe two, good signings in January together with other comings and goings. My guess is there'll be no major push for the playoffs this season and instead we'll have a 2-window strategy to try and put together a promotion squad for next season.

I also think any announcement on Dobson and CBT signing a new contract will come as part of a Happy January month rather than any time soon.

Probably the most sensible and well thought out post on here in a good while. I am not sure about Dobbo and CBt, as I still believe the rests on potential buyers of those players. The Bolton game was a good measure of where we are, Lincoln, Cheltenham and now Gillingham have proved that our young players are still a year away from being able to handle that type of 'in your face game' . There is also gaps in the squad that need addressing and I don't think all of that can be achieved in the January window.                                                    
  • Options
    Mendonca, if you wanna keep Tedic around, keep him around your house, just don't let him anywhere near the valley. 
  • Options
    I think there’s a little bit of money to spend but not enough to transform our season from mid table to playoffs and I think we’ll get a PL or Championship loan striker plus keep Tedic. 
    Looking at a few lower league thugs might be a clever way round it.