Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Agree. We spoke a lot about why we signed Innis & Lavelle when we wanted to play out from the back and they both looked clumsy and awkward. Jones receives and distributes the ball so effortlessly that there's not even a flicker of anxiety when the ball goes across the back line these days (minus a Hector hiccup). We don't want to put another donkey back there. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Agree. We spoke a lot about why we signed Innis & Lavelle when we wanted to play out from the back and they both looked clumsy and awkward. Jones receives and distributes the ball so effortlessly that there's not even a flicker of anxiety when the ball goes across the back line these days (minus a Hector hiccup). We don't want to put another donkey back there. 
    Hector hasn't made many hiccups in possession, be fair to him. He's like a particularly smooth midfielder in possession, even classier than Jones. His problems such as they've been have largely concerned the ball in flight 
  • Options
    But then I'd also say Hector has been greatly improved recently 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Your bar for CB performances is quite low, though, Leuth...
    Nah, I'm just good at spotting when the problem is the centre-back and when the problem is the team defensive setup. Hector had a few bloopers early in the season but he's been excellent for a couple of months now 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Nah, I'm just good at spotting when the problem is the centre-back and when the problem is the team defensive setup. Hector had a few bloopers early in the season but he's been excellent for a couple of months now 
    Ryan Innis was a problem!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    You sure? Naby Sarr was a liability and you've got a shrine to him
  • Options
    In the bigger picture (and probably not going to be addressed in January) realistically we need TWO new CBs, not one. 

One "ready made" to act as cover and competition for Hector and Jones, as Ness is struggling for form currently and Thomas is 1. Not great and 2. Also our main cover at LB.

But ideally we'd be looking at someone younger do that if/when the time comes, you'd have Ness and our hypothetical new CB having played together already and can step up as a pair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Ricardo Santos' contract is up at Bolton in the summer. We should throw a slab of dosh at him.
    like CBT he’ll have his mind set on the Championship, more likely to get there with Bolton than us too
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    TEL said:
    Short term cb punt would be Piergianni from Stevenage.Seen him a few times and although 31 looks pretty decent. 
    Please don't scout for us!!
    Wins on average 5 more aerial duals a game than Hector and is generally more useful from set pieces in both areas. He's the second highest rated player in this league currently statistically. 

He's probably one of the best centre backs in this league and has a playstyle where his age won't be a major factor for at least 3 or so more years. Would certainly start for us if he was here, as he is the captain of a side who sit 10 points clear of us and has made easy work of our strikers the last two times we have played them.

It's the complete opposite where I wish our recruitment team would actually look at players like that who could help us get out of this league a bit quicker. 

2nd highest rated player and highest ranked defender in the league or Michael Hector who sits 186th in the charts. I know who I'd rather have at Charlton, especially seeing as they're both short term options. 

TEL said:
    Short term cb punt would be Piergianni from Stevenage.Seen him a few times and although 31 looks pretty decent. 
    If we signing players like him, it is a backwards step trust me.. Yes he is having a good season, but he isn't that great!! 
    I don't think long term he is the answer but I want us out of this league and he's one of the best pure defenders in this league, where it's the defensive side of our game letting us down, I'd say it's more important having a centre back who can consistently stop attacking opportunities over a flashy player.

We aren't going to find a ball playing centre back who wins headers and has physical prowess, so you have to compensate. I'd rather a centre back who we know is going to defend our net every game than a player with just potential. 

It is similar to a goalkeeper to me, worry less about their distribution and more if they can keep the ball out of the back and command their area. The more dynamic players are a luxury you can afford in the championship and the premier league. This is a sh*thouse league where mostly, grit and cohesion gets you promoted, not a team full of potential. 
    If we are signing him, total lack of ambition, I think the type of players we are going for will be younger with point to prove. Pergianni is very much a Stevenage type of player, and I would be fuming if we signed him. And if he was to leave them, I am certain he will not be a success, he is a very limited player! 

Football has changed, clubs are looking for defenders who are comfortable on the ball, and willing to let players make mistakes by being brave on the ball, I am all for that.. You also forget, how many goals we score from Hector taking a risk at the back, by being brave on the ball.. The mistakes he makes are frustration that is for sure, but it is what it is, until we find a better ball playing CB he will be first choice. 
  • Options
    Sounds like we are back in for Ladapo on loan from Ipswich, would imagine that means Tedic loan will be terminated.
    Would be perfectly suited to playing with May, would love this
  • Options
    I agree he would be a good signing, only caution would be that he has picked up a few injuries this season.
  • Options
    It would be nice at the end of January to have May,Leaburn,Ladapo and despite his injuries I'm going to include Aneke as striking options. I don't think ultimately we sign 2 strikers and I am braced for a fair few bids for Miles 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Charlie does funny things with his mouth when not talking. Wonder what's triggered that!?
    Living in Sunderland can have that effect on people.....no matter how long for.
  • Options
    Sounds like we are back in for Ladapo on loan from Ipswich, would imagine that means Tedic loan will be terminated.
    Or Leaburn is about to be sold.
  • Options
    In fairness, if we got a decent price for Miles and Ladapo comes in as short term cover at the very least then that is good business IMO.
  • Options
    With McGrandles back in favour, and Dobson, Fraser, Watson all midfield options at the moment, plus Anderson and the injured Taylor, we don't really need a replacement for Camara.

Assuming Camara's wages are quite high, I'd rather use them elsewhere in the squad.
    Tempted to agree with you. Appleton seems to rate Kedwell too and has used TC and May in that 10 role. In effect we have 5 senior players (including Anderson for the sake of argument) fighting for 2 spots plus a youth player on the fringes
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hmmm...true they haven't resulted in goals but they do exist, eg  vs Pompey cross went past hector to one of theirs who missed. Hector couldn't get his feet sorted, and that's happened before this season
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Ricardo Santos' contract is up at Bolton in the summer. We should throw a slab of dosh at him.
    PopIcon said:
    I'm in, £5. Cash or card?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    I'm in, £5. Cash or card?
    You can say that again.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    Ive heard we have been scouting a young Irish Right footed centre back called Connor O'Riordan who plays for Crewe Alexendra, seems quite a prospect

Thinking on this more than I should for one posters rumour but... I suspect that (wages aside) Kirk would jump at the chance of moving back to Crewe.  I wonder if we could include him as a make weight to push us ahead of any other clubs bidding and come to a side agreement with Kirk in paying a lump to equalise his wages.  Methven could probably sell it to the investors as an all in cost to bring in a high calibre prospect rather than a payment to simply get a player off the books.
  • Options
    To be honest I'd be happy if we get a decent fee and reinvest it. He doesn't look bothered about playing for us anymore.