Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    A few weeks back I was told we are looking for a strong left sided centre back (Readings was used as an example), a "genuine" number 10 and another fast winger.
    Depending on Reading’s ownership situation…a little cheeky bid Nelson Abbey and Femi Azeez would be nice…I’d imagine they’d have interest from the leagues above tho
  • Options
    How long is it since Purrington left?

And we are still fantasising about a half reliable and competent left back.
    I was fantasising about that when we still had Purrington tbf. Edun seems like he probably has a higher ceiling at both ends of the pitch anyway
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Kirk out, new winger in.

Tedic out, new striker in.

Ness out (on loan) new left sided centre back in.

Camara out, new defensive minded CM in.

Abankwah out, a CAM in to address the imbalance in the squad. 

That's 5 in and 5 out which for a Jan window is a lot, so I expect only 3 or 4 of these to happen
    Unfortunately mate I think that's dreamland, with Kirk I reckon we would have to come to an agreement to terminate his contract. I don't see anyone in this league wanting him so the best we could hope for is a league 2 loan or maybe Wrexham saving us. 

How does it work with injuries? I assume we are responsible now for Camara as he was meant to be here for a year. 

Tedic complete dud and doesn't fit our system, definitely needs to go back. It's tricky, we have made a right shambles out of the loan slots.

The two obvious midfielders to go for in this league would probably be Owen Moxon or Joe Powell, both got a goal in them and playing at smaller clubs.

If we were to lose CBT I would sleep a lot better if we replaced him with someone like Kwame Poku or Aaron Collins, but that's wishful thinking. 

Not sure about league 2 signings now after being stuck by DJ and Kirk, but James Tilley and Davis Keillor-Dunn look like cracking players and will have interest I imagine. For every one Ricky Holmes you get there's probably 2-3 duds. 

One player who is also having a really good season is Dan Crowley of Notts County. Fits the bill of creative midfielder and he was very good against Bradford on the box the other day. Really clever passes breaking the lines and seemed to be their playmaker. Score a lot of goals as well County
    I would really like Joe Powell. Left footed, good delivery from set pieces, can play deeper and as a 10.

I believe he’s good mates with Dobbo too, they came through at West Ham at the same time
    Yeah tidy player mate, if we were to lose Dobson, I feel Moxon would be a pretty decent replacement as he's quite all action. Joe Powell is probably more similar to Fraser but just has a bit more bite to him I'd say.

I noticed the West Ham link as well. He's on contract until 2025 so it would cost a fee but he's the type of player you'd like to hear us linked with.

All the players I've mentioned though are the right age, all mid 20s, in their prime years. You could build a really solid team in this league like Ipswich have done if you're smart with the money. Plenty of good players about for reasonable fees, Alfie May a prime example.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    The Jan window is all about keeping Dobbo and CBT. 
    And getting rid of Kirk.
  • Options
    We're crying out for a 25 to 30 year old centre back with some quality. We are one injury away from a gaping hole in an inconsistent defence.
  • Options
    When this lot arrived I always thought that it would take a minimum of three windows to get near having what’s required and that’s if there’s money, will and luck. Along the way we’ll also lose a few of the better players too. It’s always going to be hard and I think it will be. We’ve a top eight attack and a bottom eight defence. We’re mid table for a reason. Just my opinion but it’s going to be what happens in the summer not January that will have the impact that might get us in the promotion race. We’ve an outside chance of top six this season but I wouldn’t put my money on it. Next season is when we’ll know what the future holds with our ownership.
  • Options
    sm said:
    We're crying out for a 25 to 30 year old centre back with some quality. We are one injury away from a gaping hole in an inconsistent defence.
    Sam Hughes from Burton should be our top target for the back.
  • Options
    I think the number one priority is a left sided CB and I can only see a loan coming in. Very much doubt we’ll be signing anyone for a fee in January. 
  • Options
    follett said:
    CBT will be an interesting one. He could be the difference between sneaking into the playoffs or not. So will be a test of the ownership to see if they'd let him go for money or keep him, hope he can help guide us to playoffs before he goes on a free in summer.
    It’s also a test of the player. Does he already think he is better than us after 5 goals and 5 assists so far this season? If he has no interest in playing for us, it doesn’t matter if the club want to keep him or not. Hopefully, he does want to stay with us and help ensure we make the play offs this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    CBT will be an interesting one. He could be the difference between sneaking into the playoffs or not. So will be a test of the ownership to see if they'd let him go for money or keep him, hope he can help guide us to playoffs before he goes on a free in summer.
    It’s also a test of the player. Does he already think he is better than us after 5 goals and 5 assists so far this season? If he has no interest in playing for us, it doesn’t matter if the club want to keep him or not. Hopefully, he does want to stay with us and help ensure we make the play offs this season. 
    Well we know he is ambitious - he was paying all the expenses etc for a chance at a trial here IIRC so he obviously backs himself, and fair play to him.

If he does get a championship offer though I can't really see him turning it down - and I don't think he should to be fair.

Then it will be down to Scott and Co to get the best value and a decent replacement.
  • Options
    Wonder if our Asian part owners will mean we get a player from that part of the world as a wildcard.
  • Options
    Not sure how likely strengthening the midfield will be. We have Dobson, Fraser, Watson, McGrandles and Anderson plus Taylor will return at some point. And May is playing in the 10 a lot 

I think Taylor was our major midfield permanent signing and I wouldn’t expect another this window

Centre Back, left back, winger and Striker are more urgent areas that need addressing so I’d expect them to be the priorities
  • Options
    Methven was at a mount pleasant (Jamaican team) game. Suppose we may start a partnership with them. 
  • Options
    follett said:
    It’ll come down to money. He’ll get offered a deal in The Championship that’ll maybe double his wages. What would you do ? 
  • Options
    Wonder if our Asian part owners will mean we get a player from that part of the world as a wildcard.
    We had someone on trial from Perth Glory (Australia are in AFC after all) in the Summer, presume nothing came of that one.
  • Options
    Short term cb punt would be Piergianni from Stevenage.Seen him a few times and although 31 looks pretty decent. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Short term cb punt would be Piergianni from Stevenage.Seen him a few times and although 31 looks pretty decent. 
    Please don't scout for us!!
  • Options
    CB incoming will certainly be a loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd expect it to be a bit of loan juggling, signing anyone on a permanent in January would be a surprise to me. So something like Camara, Abankwah and Tedic returned and a new CM/CB/ST in on loan. I quite like Chem Campbell as a player and if CBT has been playing with a knock I'd keep Chem around. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    TEL said:
    Please don't scout for us!!
    Wins on average 5 more aerial duals a game than Hector and is generally more useful from set pieces in both areas. He's the second highest rated player in this league currently statistically. 

He's probably one of the best centre backs in this league and has a playstyle where his age won't be a major factor for at least 3 or so more years. Would certainly start for us if he was here, as he is the captain of a side who sit 10 points clear of us and has made easy work of our strikers the last two times we have played them.

It's the complete opposite where I wish our recruitment team would actually look at players like that who could help us get out of this league a bit quicker. 

2nd highest rated player and highest ranked defender in the league or Michael Hector who sits 186th in the charts. I know who I'd rather have at Charlton, especially seeing as they're both short term options. 
  • Options
    The CB that has stood out for me this season was Nelson Abbey, surprisingly playing for Reading who we battered but he looked a real prospect. Would imagine he will go to a Championship team but certainly worth the question as Reading are in financial trouble.
    For me it was Ronnie Edwards, who ironically is Nelson Abbeys centre back partner pairing at u20 England level. Both great talents who I expect will end up with premier league contracts or championship. Either way imagine both will be playing championship football next season.  No way we could secure Abbey.
  • Options
    The CB that has stood out for me this season was Nelson Abbey, surprisingly playing for Reading who we battered but he looked a real prospect. Would imagine he will go to a Championship team but certainly worth the question as Reading are in financial trouble.
    For me it was Ronnie Edwards, who ironically is Nelson Abbeys centre back partner pairing at u20 England level. Both great talents who I expect will end up with premier league contracts or championship. Either way imagine both will be playing championship football next season.  No way we could secure Abbey.
    Worth saying that I was told we were looking for a left sided centre half "like" Nelson Abbey. Very much doubt he's in our reach. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Worth saying that I was told we were looking for a left sided centre half "like" Nelson Abbey. Very much doubt he's in our reach. 
    Let’s hope he’s eying up a flat in the Medway area, you never know!
  • Options
    Poundland comes to mind again
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Poundland comes to mind again
    I think whoever comes in at CB will be an upgrade on what we’ve currently got but I’d be amazed if it’s on a permanent deal.
  • Options
    Personally I think that the lack of left footed players is a problem and makes us look predictable. Many matches this season we have only had right footed players. 

Last season JRS and even Payne gave us diversity going forward although we mainly relied on right footed left backs.

Currently we only have Edun and Fraser. This is why I hope Toby Bower is given a chance tonight. Maybe that is why we are not sourcing another left back?

I guess we would hope that the new LCB might also be able to cover LB as a completely right footed team limits us. 

Two names of left footed central midfielders which have been mentioned over the last few years are Lewis Bate of Leeds and Joe Powell of Burton. I would like either to rotate with Fraser to ensure balance in the team.
  • Options
    Bate would one hell of a signing. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the Leeds first team unless he's been injured?