Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• We aren’t going to replace May with another prolific striker, instead we would need the rest of the team to contribute with goals which isn’t really happening at present 
  • edited December 2023
    We aren’t going to replace May with another prolific striker, instead we would need the rest of the team to contribute with goals which isn’t really happening at present 
    We don't need more goals - I mean they're nice and all, but we need less conceded. Until we sort that we'll continue to struggle. As much as people say we'd get overrun I'd go with the "lopsided" 4-4-2 so we can have 4 defenders at the back(that can become 5 with one of the wingers dropping), two CM's, a more defensive winger that can tuck into the middle if needed, an attacking winger and two strikers. 
  • redbuttle said:
    Bournesnr said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The only way Lewisham born Olaofe is coming here is if he walks into the Stockport boardroom and sings the “Stockport’s a shithole, I wanna go home” song
    Which would be very off with coming from Lewisham.
    How dare you.. 

I had to suffer Lee for three years as a kid growing up.
    Oh dear, poor you..
    Perhaps that says more about you, I was brought up in Lee and had a great childhood
    Agree. I was brought in Lewisham. Great Times.(my comment was being sarcastic by the way)

I realise that, mind you, Lee was proceeded by Bellingham.  I had it rough!
  • Being non-league is not beyond us buying.
  • Being non-league is not beyond us buying.
    Not just non-league though he plays in the 8th tier (I think), it's like us signing someone from Cray Valley PM
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    BFG anyone, not getting a game for Preston, out of contract end of season, early 30s

Would be ideal if he's fit. Has struggled with injuries a lot since going there. 
  • ross1 said:
    BFG anyone, not getting a game for Preston, out of contract end of season, early 30s
    available for loan by the sounds of it too. not a big fan of signing ex players usually but think he could be what we need, a good solid defender who leads by example 
  • fenaddick said:
    ross1 said:
    available for loan by the sounds of it too. not a big fan of signing ex players usually but think he could be what we need, a good solid defender who leads by example 
    Derek Hales
    Mike Flanagan
    Paul Mortimer 

If Bauer comes back and does a good a job as those 3 above did, then bring it on
  • shirty5 said:
    fenaddick said:
    ross1 said:
    Derek Hales
    Mike Flanagan
    Paul Mortimer 

If Bauer comes back and does a good a job as those 3 above did, then bring it on
    Totally. My comment was more about the players we’ve had recently and the tendency to romanticise them than anything else. 
  • ross1 said:
    No thank you. If we were signing the same Bauer that left, it would be a no brainer. But he's not played much and fitness is questionable. I don't want to sully the memory of THAT goal if he came back and was a bit shit.
  • No problem with bringing in a player of Bauer’s age, experience etc. However, only if they are fit. 

Bauer has played twice since beginning of August, one 90 minute appearance and one 65 minute appearance. No guarantee he is fit enough to come in and play enough minutes to at least give us a chance of play offs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A loan until the end of the season to prove his fitness wouldn't be the worst move imo
  • A loan until the end of the season to prove his fitness wouldn't be the worst move imo
    Not the worst, but don't think it'd be a good one - we all love Bauer but he's so injury prone, if this was the summer it might be different as you could build up his fitness, but in the Jan transfer window there's not much time for that. His quality I don't question at all but I just don't see the point in signing another injury prone player when we desperately need someone to shore up the defence.
  • Do what decent clubs do, buy players with potential or on the up (except if they're special like Alfie), not what we have been doing which is plugging holes with expensive meh 
  • Our business next month will need to be astonishingly good to make a change enough to see us as top six contenders. In fact it’s not going to happen. We’re not going to get relegated so quite honestly I’d rather see us sign even one or two players that are going to be good enough for where we aspire to be next season. This season is already over unless we now turn in top of the league performances from now on. Can you see that ? Forget the punts and pointless loans. Push the boat out, if we’ve actually got a boat on a couple of proven players. 
  • Rothko said:
    Do what decent clubs do, buy players with potential or on the up (except if they're special like Alfie), not what we have been doing which is plugging holes with expensive meh 
    Agree but needs to be the right players. We tried that with Kirk, DJ, Lavelle etc.
  • Rothko said:
    The business in January can't just be about 5 months, it has to think longer term, just bored of this narrow panicking between each window
    Not that I disagree, but if we spend money on young high ceiling players like Terry Taylor potentially might be - but they are not consistent enough to get us promoted you know the majority of the fan base will have a shit fit. 

• Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    Do what decent clubs do, buy players with potential or on the up (except if they're special like Alfie), not what we have been doing which is plugging holes with expensive meh 
    Agree but needs to be the right players. We tried that with Kirk, DJ, Lavelle etc.
    I'd pot Lavelle and DJ in the expensive punt and panicked looking at the point they were signed, Kirk just hasn't worked. But Jones, L Watson, and Dobson have been successes, but my preference is not chasing after speculative late buys