Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    ValleyBen said:
    If Peterborough get Al-Hamadi it won't be for whatever we pay for JCH. 

He was off to Bristol in the summer for less then a mil, his fee will only be lower now thanks to the clock ticking on losing him for nothing. 
    Exactly. 
  • Obviously in an ideal world we would be in for someone like Al-Hamadi ourselves but I suspect he will end up leaping straight past League 1 in his next move and our current ownership showed no signs in the summer a willingness to throw crazy amounts of cash at our squad in the way the Ipswich & Wednesday owners did to escape this league. 

If we can get JCH for something like 500-600k or less then that is an absolute bargain, only beaten by the steal we got May for in the summer.
  • Is there honestly much point of pushing the boat out now with exciting signings? Season is pretty much over
    And sign dull, shit players instead?

Daft comment.
  • redbuttle said:
    Scoham said:
    I honestly dont see any issue with JCH. Experienced and scores goals. 

Just the risk he’s happy with a big contract, is past his peak and fitness is declining, but you could say that about any older player we sign.

This season he’s scored 4 in 12 league starts (+4 sub apps), an ok record, hopefully if we sign him more to come through being a regular.
    He can leave in the summer on a free. Posh are desperate to get some money for him now.
    In which case I would wait until the summer.
    What I find it hard to understand is if he was that good why is he not playing regular for Peterbrough this season? 
    We need players that are fit and willing to run their heart out for the club.

• Dansk_Red said:
    We play Peterborough on 13 Jan would they sell to us before I think not.
    It depends whether they need the money/free up wages to bring in their own targets for their promotion push 
  • I’d like to know what political party JCH votes for and if he respects pronouns first
  • Red meat for the fans I reckon, we’re meant to spend all month looking forward to this signing and not notice that we don’t sign anyone else. 

Apart from Golfie, he’ll notice and he’ll tell everyone. No one will listen though, and he’ll have to tell us again come May.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Just to mix things up, should we all go back to talking about maybe signing Ladapo? 
  • Is there honestly much point of pushing the boat out now with exciting signings? Season is pretty much over
    Ipswich first season under their new owners started badly but they really started to build their squad and momentum going into the second half of the season; they still missed the play offs but promotion never really looked in doubt the next season.  That is where we need to aim.

Indeed, the final game of the season we looked poles apart.

What I would say though that the summer of 2021 they bought a lot of good players, but Cook couldn't get a decent team out of them. They improved in January 2022, but it was McKenna which made the big difference rather than the transfer window, as they only brought in 2 new loans, and made 1 loan into a permanent. That and selling Fraser to us...
  • Seen this all before rumours of a great exciting window come out after a poor run. Almost never happens 
  • You all live in a dream world. We will get Mr Useless from Pratsville utd. 
    We will be crap in transfer window. 
  • Seen this all before rumours of a great exciting window come out after a poor run. Almost never happens 
    I posted a few pages back that I thought this window might be the start of the squad rebuilding with some very decent signings and be the platform for more in the summer. That’s what I’ve heard and while of course it could fall very flat, I for one am looking forward to seeing what’s going to happen in January. I’ve taken what I’ve heard in good faith.
    I think that's all we can do Shooters. You wouldn't have to know much about the team currently representing Charlton Athletic to realise where the short comings are and despite mistrust in the overall management set up, there are some football people in there. My hope is that we get long term solutions for Chuks and cover CBT departure if it happens, that may well be the hardest part, especially in the January window. We also need to add to harden up a soft touch midfield, just look at the players that have been tried in there, Kilkenny, Morgan, McGrandles, Chem Campbell, Anderson, Taylor i've probably missed a few others, but it's clear that we don't have a fit nailed on the team sheet player in that position, if Dobson goes, that makes that job just as difficult as the forwards. The owners need to beware, the crowd, for what it is, now wants change, firstly in performance and ultimately in results, if neither are forthcoming, their choice of manager won't make the summer. 
  • Good faith cost nothing. I so hope that none of us feel anything but excitement for Charlton come the end of January 2024.
  • I really hope that the club do start on a serious attempt to improve the squad with a view to a serious run at promotion next season. I say next season because I really doubt that top six is achievable this season. It’s a shame that we’ve been so abject,  but four or five decent signings might give us a strong if ultimately failed finish.
  • edited December 2023
    Swisdom said:
    I'm hearing there will be additions in January and they are quite exciting.  Hopefully the source isn't exaggerating things but I'm inclined to trust them on this occasion
    Spoke to someone at the club today and they said similar but they expressed the fear that if we drifted even further away from the play-offs the temptation at the top might be to defer spending until the summer.

They DIDN'T say that that would happen or that they had been told that, just that that was their fear.

Personally, I think that would be a bad decision because it's giving up on this season and even if that was the case (as many posters have already said) the rebuild for 24/25 needs to start ASAP and not left until the summer.
    Surely you'd only defer spending if you planned on changing the manager, or at least had concerns you might have to.
  • Sponsored links:

• JCH has scored two tonight. 
  • We're going to have to pay over the odds to get anyone decent in to persuade them to come to a poor team with little to no chance of promotion this season. 
  • We're going to have to pay over the odds to get anyone decent in to persuade them to come to a poor team with little to no chance of promotion this season. 
    Which will go against their actions so far.
  • We desperately need some leadership out there, whether at the back or in midfield. Someone to organise the youngsters, keep the rest of the team alert when defending set pieces and bollock players when necessary.
  • redbuttle said:
    JCH has scored two tonight. 
    Also started for the first time in ages
    Odd thing to do if he’s on the way out.
    I doubt very much that he’ll be at Charlton