Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Because I am obsessive about Charlton Athletic.
    I am pretty sure Methven will forgive me given his Theology degree and obsession for Oxford United.
    Here is a question floated by several, but not yet answered. 
    How much money per month or per year, including expenses, do Methven, Rodwell, Scott, Warrick, Leneghan, Eliot (and any other obvious ones I have forgotten) get out of the club, and does it represent good value for our legion of billionaire owners, or will we wake up one day deep in debt without the VAT and other taxes paid?
    Don't think it’s got anything to do with us what salary they're on. If it does eventually all go sideways and someone is on the take, then of course it becomes of interest, but can't see this "SMT" pulling the wool over all these investors eyes without someone realising. Especially considering there's been so much "disposable" spent on players.

• ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:
    We are foolish to not use Aneke when he is available as he is proper quality but his endless injury issues mean he needs to be a complete bonus not a reason to stop signing another option. 
    "When he is available"...i'm beginning to wonder of he was just a figment of our imagination..he has "been involved" in 6, yes SIX matches this season, injured for 23...I would say he was a bonus just to see him again...rumour is he may emerge some time soon...🤷‍♂️
    Exactly my point but even if he is only available for another six games this season, we might as well get him on the pitch. 

Just cannot count him as part of our squad when planning a seasons recruitment. 

That is a failing of the decision makers if they use Aneke being almost back as an excuse to not bring in someone like the lump from Port Vale. 
    Exactly my point as well...🙄
  • ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:
    We are foolish to not use Aneke when he is available as he is proper quality but his endless injury issues mean he needs to be a complete bonus not a reason to stop signing another option. 
    "When he is available"...i'm beginning to wonder of he was just a figment of our imagination..he has "been involved" in 6, yes SIX matches this season, injured for 23...I would say he was a bonus just to see him again...rumour is he may emerge some time soon...🤷‍♂️
    Exactly my point but even if he is only available for another six games this season, we might as well get him on the pitch. 

Just cannot count him as part of our squad when planning a seasons recruitment. 

That is a failing of the decision makers if they use Aneke being almost back as an excuse to not bring in someone like the lump from Port Vale. 
    Exactly my point as well...🙄
    Apologies sometimes easy to misread the tone in a post, read it by mistake as you mocking my  idea of him playing in a Charlton shirt at all. 
  • If we get a new manager/head coach before Thursday, he may want a say in any other transfers
  • ross1 said:
    If we get a new manager/head coach before Thursday, he may want a say in any other transfers
    Will probably want to play a 433 as well...  ;)

• Searching for rumours like…
  • 550 + add ons is what I was told last week
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I am pretty sure Methven will forgive me given his Theology degree and obsession for Oxford United.
    How much money per month or per year, including expenses, do Methven, Rodwell, Scott, Warrick, Leneghan, Eliot (and any other obvious ones I have forgotten) get out of the club, and does it represent good value for our legion of billionaire owners, or will we wake up one day deep in debt without the VAT and other taxes paid?
    The three in bold are employees and presumably on reasonable salaries and/or performance related pay.  Methven is an investor (owner) with (alledgedly) less thatn 5% so is probably in it for a return at some point.  Elliott and Gavin Carter are both non-exec directors so either unpaid or, most likely, on relatively small retainers plus expense.  Not sure about Leneghan as not mentioned on the CAFC website under owners/staff.
  • Meanwhile, local Bristol reporter says we are still in the race. Suspect that might be being used by Bristol to try and squeeze more out of Bolton though?

https://x.com/danjhargraves/status/1751954360525865031?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
  • Us in for Collins and them back in for Clarke-Harris?
  • Said it before but Max Dean at MKDons. Should have got him at the start of the window. They are talking £1M now and that will go up imo. 

Looks a carbon copy of Alfie May to me.  Imagine two of them upfront, any defence we played against would be exhausted by the running and constant chat and shithousery by the pair.

He is only 19 I think so would be the long term successor.

A very "Peterborough" type signing.. will probably go higher now though 
    Good shout, but,

No thanks
  • sam3110 said:
    Us in for Collins and them back in for Clarke-Harris?
    Matt Taylor (their new manager) isn’t keen on JCh so they aren’t interested anymore. Don’t think he will move anywhere until the summer 
  • Bit of a no brainer for Collins if Bolton are in for him too. A team chasing automatic promotion, and indeed the L1 title, versus a team looking over their shoulders at the relegation places.
  • CafcWest said:
    seth plum said:
    The three in bold are employees and presumably on reasonable salaries and/or performance related pay.  Methven is an investor (owner) with (alledgedly) less thatn 5% so is probably in it for a return at some point.  Elliott and Gavin Carter are both non-exec directors so either unpaid or, most likely, on relatively small retainers plus expense.  Not sure about Leneghan as not mentioned on the CAFC website under owners/staff.
    I hope the non employees pay for their own plane/train/taxi expenses when travelling up north for matches, as well as their accommodation and meals/refreshments.
  • edited January 29
    Said it before but Max Dean at MKDons. Should have got him at the start of the window. They are talking £1M now and that will go up imo. 

Looks a carbon copy of Alfie May to me.  Imagine two of them upfront, any defence we played against would be exhausted by the running and constant chat and shithousery by the pair.

Good shout, but,

No thanks
    No because he shows some passion after winning a derby game? We haven't won our derby since 1996 lol. 

He plays for MK Dons it's a huge derby for them, he was barely born when Wimbledon were moved to MK. That situation will always be a disgrace to football but turning our noses up at a promising 19 year old kid because he is happy the team he plays for has won is a bit silly
  • follett said:
    Said it before but Max Dean at MKDons. Should have got him at the start of the window. They are talking £1M now and that will go up imo. 

Good shout, but,

No thanks
    No because he shows some passion after winning a derby game? We haven't won our derby since 1996 lol. 

He plays for MK Dons it's a huge derby for them, he was barely born when Wimbledon were moved to MK. That situation will always be a disgrace to football but turning our noses up at a promising 19 year old kid because he is happy the team he plays for has won is a bit silly
    I was taking the piss, as he done a Millwall chant. 

I'm not that unhinged 😂
  • edited January 29
    We could be set for a very interesting deadline day if we can lure Jones and, he gets given a bit of freedom in the transfer market. 

Be nice to have an exciting January deadline day, Lord knows we need some excitement again. (That was for you Nathan Jones mate) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Scoham said:
    Jeremy Ngakia at Watford was the last name put out there in the last couple of days I believe.

But if we’re looking for someone to play that wing back position, there’s someone who’s just been made available by Derby and I think we should be in for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ward_(footballer,_born_1995)
    Any idea why’s he’s been made available? And why he hasn’t played much for them?
    He's injured currently and out of contract in the summer 
    Injured you say? Andy Scott do your stuff !
  • Bailey said:
    Swisdom said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-bristol-rovers-reject-opening-9062701

£600k bid from Bolton rejected for Aaron Collins , Rovers wanting closer to £1m
    They turned down 700,000 from us so not going to accept 600,000 
    We did not bid £700k.  Stop making stuff up.  
    So this comment can stay yet I prove that I did not make anything up and it’s deleted .. it would be only right that this incorrect statement from Swisdom be removed as it been proved that we did make 700 k bid 
    Nobody likes grass Ronnie 
    I do occasionally;)
  • We no longer have wingers so we absolutely have to get an attacking midfielder, a 10, for either 352 or diamond. Without that we will be toothless.
    I suspect that is what is holding the Fraser move up.
  • Southbank said:
    We no longer have wingers so we absolutely have to get an attacking midfielder, a 10, for either 352 or diamond. Without that we will be toothless.
    But then where does that leave L Watson and Fiorini? 

We already have Dobbo, Coventry, Bakinson plus Camara, McGrandles and Taylor to come back. Not counting Fraser or Anderson, that gives 8 options to play in midfield already!
  • Nothing new in this as far as I can tell - says we want to “hijack” Bolton’s move for Collins.

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/01/29/charlton-athletic-looking-to-hijack-rivals-transfer-pursuit/
  • edited January 29
    Ali Al-Hamadi has joined Ipswich. Gutted for Jacko on that one.
  • We could be set for a very interesting deadline day if we can lure Jones and, he gets given a bit of freedom in the transfer market. 

Be nice to have an exciting January deadline day, Lord knows we need some excitement again. (That was for you Nathan Jones mate) 
    It’s too late for him to have any influence on this window. 
  • edited January 29
    sam3110 said:
    I want another wingback and a 10, and if I'm greedy a new target man striker, however I'd also take Aneke coming back and being that man from the bench, as long as we don't try and start him in any games 
    Aneke back will be huge, no coincidence when he was fit we had out best run of form for the season.. He can hold the ball up, bring others into it and also create chances for himself 

If he can stay fit for 5/6 games it'll be enough to keep us away from relegation 
    sadly that's unlikely to happen (him staying fit for 5/6 games)
    If we use him properly and only bring him on for 15 mins per game he should be okay, the last few times he has broken down its because we decided to start him in games. Just accept he is a 10-15 minute impact player and use him solely as that.
    To be fair he should be ok being brought on after the sixty minute mark, at least less likely to be injured than if he starts.  You can’t really affect games very often if you’re only given ten minutes. 
  • Ali Al-Hamadi has joined Ipswich. Gutted for Jacko on that one.
    If we had more strength in attack, that would have been a great loan destination for Kanu.
  • Southbank said:
    We no longer have wingers so we absolutely have to get an attacking midfielder, a 10, for either 352 or diamond. Without that we will be toothless.
    But then where does that leave L Watson and Fiorini? 

We already have Dobbo, Coventry, Bakinson plus Camara, McGrandles and Taylor to come back. Not counting Fraser or Anderson, that gives 8 options to play in midfield already!
    Need to move some on if we can. I wouldn’t call Watson a 10, wouldn’t want to rely on Fiorini or those getting back from injury either.

For 3-5-2 or a diamond to work we need a goalscorer in the midfield and to strengthen at wing back.

Ideally I’d like another physical striker too so Aneke isn’t relied on.