Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• My two pence worth. Charlton are financially stable. Moving from financial instability to stability can happen at the stroke of a pen. Broader stability in terms of how the club is run both on and off the pitch is far less black and white and is much harder and takes longer to turn around. I’d say at present we’re on the right tracks.
    I'd agree that we're generally looking to try and get back to "proper" stability. The issue for me is that while the SMT genuinely do know what they need to do and have the right intentions, their actual competence to achieve it remains questionable.

This is why we need to get the next manager/coach decision correct. We can't keep lurching from mistake to mistake and getting away with it. It's impossible to make proper long term plans when you have 3 coaches in one season.
  • Sage said:
    Might not be morally right, but I’d like us to go for a couple of Reading players.

At the end of the day, we need to survive and if that means signing a player or two from Reading who are just below us, so be it.

Smith would improve us and weaken them, helping our chance of survival.

I am a Charlton supporter, not Reading. It’s not nice to see any club in any trouble, as we all well know!

But I’m not here for the “you can’t sign their players because they’re struggling and going through it”. No. If they’re a player who will improve us and we can sign them, you do it no matter who they play for.
    I am all for it, I said immediately we should take advantage of their situation as other clubs will, already have and they would to us, if we were in their situation.

They have some amazing talent Reading, just a club in turmoil. 

I was just highlighting the utter pisstake of 75k for a player that valuable. 
  • Starting to be a bit concerned at a) Fraser not going yet and b) the general lack of outgoing rumours. We have a lot of midfielders now, surely there should be some loans out at the very least
  • fenaddick said:
    Starting to be a bit concerned at a) Fraser not going yet and b) the general lack of outgoing rumours. We have a lot of midfielders now, surely there should be some loans out at the very least
    Probably have to wait for a new manager to come in.
  • edited January 30
    fenaddick said:
    Starting to be a bit concerned at a) Fraser not going yet and b) the general lack of outgoing rumours. We have a lot of midfielders now, surely there should be some loans out at the very least
    Doubt anyone really wants them, although aren’t these more likely to happen in the February part of the January window?
    I also think Fraser will go if they get Collins over the line, (or similar). 
  • I think a lack of rumours suggests a lack of interest, even if we do want to keep them for a few more days
  • edited January 30
    Abankwah (remember him?) has gone back to Italy https://www.charltonafc.com/news/james-abankwah-returns-udinese
  • fenaddick said:
    Abankwah (remember him?) has gone back to Italy https://www.charltonafc.com/news/james-abankwah-returns-udinese
    Dreadful signing from a truly wank deadline day. Looked scared of contact when he played
  • Abankwah going back does give us a slot to go and get a wingback now. One of the most forgettable loan spells ever 
  • Sponsored links:

• Still think Fraser would be a good option at 10 in this new formation.
    A motivated Fraser...
    Last season's Fraser was excellent and, probably, our most creative player.  He had 8 games out with injury and hasn't really been on it since coming back.  Might be a combination of post injury and lack of motivation (Appleton?).  If he can get match fit and regain his confidence/motivation then he still has a part to play IMHO.
    I liked Fraser last season, really had high hopes for him, but he just looks so lightweight in a league where every opposition we face all look physically stronger than us.  
  • ValleyBen said:
    Reading would do the same to us if the roles were reversed. 
    Wasn’t it Reading that took Yann from us ?
    No one took him from us, we virtually gave him away. Worst bit of business I can remember ( resigning aneke isn't far behind)
  • It's concerning that our "hit rate" with loanees this season has been so bad, as it'll put off PL clubs sending their better kids here rather than to another L1 club.

Of the 5 we signed in the summer, 2 were flops and went back (Abankwah and Tedic), 1 went back after an unwhelming spell (Chem), 1 has been injured nearly all the time (Camara) while the other has struggled to get many minutes (Watson). 
  • edited January 30
    Charlton recruitment team, easiest job to secure in the world. 

They couldn't identify a good players if their lives depended on it 
    I feel that signings like Abankwah were more to do with a limited budget on the last day of the window than the abilities of our recruitment team.

Identifying good players isn’t really the hard part, it’s having the budget to beat other clubs to them, finding the right mix of personalities, being a club on the up that’s attractive to sign for etc.

Had we not had the money to pay fees for at least 3 players this window we’d have probably signed cheap loanees/free agents as an alternative.
  • Sponsored links:

• I live in St John’s Wood, if anyone’s interested.
    Do you pass the height test, if so you are in!!
    5'11.5 will that do?
    Not doow s'nohj ts?
    So, you drink in our local too?
  • edited January 30
    I live in St John’s Wood, if anyone’s interested.
    5'11.5 will that do?
    'fraid not shorty...sod it, if you have your own boots you are in...😉
  • mendonca said:
    But it does assume the Reading player would want to move from one unstable club to another? Also, one relegation battle to another. 

A bit like JCH, our bid might be accepted but it could be a waste of time and effort.
    We're not an unstable club, we're just a bit rubbish. We've spent a fair bit this window already and there's no indication there's any financial trouble looming. We're just reaping the rewards of some middling player recruitment and a bad manager choice and we can fix up both of those things if we get stuff right in the next couple of days. Get in a good manager, win a few games and it'll all be talk about next season and building.
    You’re getting a bit too optimistic again.  I’ll have to send Golfie round 
  • I see Mo Eisa has left MK for Exeter. Scored 5 goals so far this season....with Alex Gilbey outscoring him with  7.