Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    jbaker said:
    Not really a rumour but transfer related. I feel like I can share now people have actually moved on. A few years back we had agreed a deal to sign Ivan Toney. This would have meant us receiving a fee for Lyle who wanted out. 11th hour Pboro increased their asking price for Toney. This meant we had to get out buyer to increase there big for Lyle which they refused. The whole thing fell apart, massive row between Lyle and Steve Gallen and that was basically Taylor from then on saying he wouldn’t play again. Toney went to move to Brentford instead and we ended up hunt out to dry. Lyle went on to Forest on about 25k a week. . . Relating this to now, really wouldn’t surprise me if JCH ends up somewhere this window. Pboro are renowned for being shrewd operators and I just can’t see they are going to let him run the contact down. I can see a deal where Pboro still contribute a % of his wages for his next move if they get a fee, or basically give some of the transfer fee to JCH
    And then Lee Bowyer & the club went to extraordinary lengths to make up the 'Lyle is worried about injury' story to protect Lyle, who was actually refusing to play in a relegation battle over a transfer? Why would they do that... That doesn't make sense. 

Also struggling with the idea that we were buying Toney when he later went to Brentford for £10million, or that Tahnoon was willing to put a penny into the club for transfers, or that he even could have... given he had yet to prove funding to the EFL. 
    From memory think we had agreed £4m. But needed to get 3m for Taylor. Obviously didn’t happen and the whole thing fell apart. Would love to actually spend a day on deadline seeing how it all actually works. 
  •  I remember we tried to sign rumours last season but it dragged on for so long we scotched them in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:
    Not really a rumour but transfer related. I feel like I can share now people have actually moved on. A few years back we had agreed a deal to sign Ivan Toney. This would have meant us receiving a fee for Lyle who wanted out. 11th hour Pboro increased their asking price for Toney. This meant we had to get out buyer to increase there big for Lyle which they refused. The whole thing fell apart, massive row between Lyle and Steve Gallen and that was basically Taylor from then on saying he wouldn’t play again. Toney went to move to Brentford instead and we ended up hunt out to dry. Lyle went on to Forest on about 25k a week. . . Relating this to now, really wouldn’t surprise me if JCH ends up somewhere this window. Pboro are renowned for being shrewd operators and I just can’t see they are going to let him run the contact down. I can see a deal where Pboro still contribute a % of his wages for his next move if they get a fee, or basically give some of the transfer fee to JCH
    And then Lee Bowyer & the club went to extraordinary lengths to make up the 'Lyle is worried about injury' story to protect Lyle, who was actually refusing to play in a relegation battle over a transfer? Why would they do that... That doesn't make sense. 

Also struggling with the idea that we were buying Toney when he later went to Brentford for £10million, or that Tahnoon was willing to put a penny into the club for transfers, or that he even could have... given he had yet to prove funding to the EFL. 
    Wasn’t there talk of Toney joining in August when RD owned the club, as well as in January under ESI? I assume the former is what jbaker is referring to.
    Roland sold the club in November 2019 I think. Lyle refused to play in June 2020. 
    Yes. Sold the club for a quid having turned down £34m a few months earlier. Respected businessman. 
    The £34m was for the entire club.  

The £1 was for just the football business. Not the properties. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Bristol Rovers have signed Kamil Conteh from Grimsby for £300k. Might free up Aaron Collins for a move? 
    I think Conteh is more of a defensive midfielder, rather than a No 10
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:

Wasn’t there talk of Toney joining in August when RD owned the club, as well as in January under ESI? I assume the former is what jbaker is referring to.
    Roland sold the club in November 2019 I think. Lyle refused to play in June 2020. 
    Yes. Sold the club for a quid having turned down £34m a few months earlier. Respected businessman. 

Sold a heavy loss making business for a quid but retained the valuable properties underneath is in fact a very shrewd piece of business. Currently ticking over at £500k income per year on the rental and will no doubt get at least £25m when he finally sells.
  • NabySarr said:
    Bristol Rovers have signed Kamil Conteh from Grimsby for £300k. Might free up Aaron Collins for a move? 
    Hope so but I think Conteh is a defensive midfielder
  • Seems like the transfers have dried up now that Appleton has gone. After last Sat & tues evening there is even more reason to bring in some new blood. 
  • Seems like the transfers have dried up now that Appleton has gone. After last Sat & tues evening there is even more reason to bring in some new blood. 
    Having the SMT having to deal with the time consuming and difficult process of employing a new manager will have scuppered the equally difficult and time consuming process of signing players. Piss poor timing.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:

Sold a heavy loss making business for a quid but retained the valuable properties underneath is in fact a very shrewd piece of business. Currently ticking over at £500k income per year on the rental and will no doubt get at least £25m when he finally sells.

It was shit business. If he gets £25M when he sells and could have got £34M 5 years ago.  Not only will he get less ultimately the time value of money and high inflation since erodes his return even further 
    Having the SMT having to deal with the time consuming and difficult process of employing a new manager will have scuppered the equally difficult and time consuming process of signing players. Piss poor timing.
    Surely there is enough of them to get two jobs done at the same time, in fact I would say that the window should take priority if anything...
  • Sponsored links:

7 not enough then .. they will slow down now cause teams will hold to their players till the last day in case of injuries .. and know that they ask higher fees on the last day as teams 

7 not enough then .. they will slow down now cause teams will hold to their players till the last day in case of injuries .. and know that they ask higher fees on the last day as teams 
    as teams...........?  tbc Can't wait for the next instalment
    I can...🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴

as teams...........?  tbc Can't wait for the next instalment
    Oooh, I love one of those "finish a sentence" jokes.

Is it........

as teams....." look to offload their injured duds". 
  • edited January 26
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:

I know that of course. But the net result was that  Roland  got £1 and some rental income going forward. How long will he have to rent the stadium for to get £34m. And who could he sell the freeholds to other than the club?
  • edited January 26
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:

I know that of course. But the net result was that Sandgaard got £1 and some rental income going forward. How long will he have to rent the stadium for to get £34m. And who could he sell the freeholds to other than the club?
    @JamesSeed...did you really mean Sandgaard...!?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    The second player MKD have loaned upwards to a L1 side this window!
  • edited January 26
    CafcWest said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    jbaker said:

I know that of course. But the net result was that Sandgaard got £1 and some rental income going forward. How long will he have to rent the stadium for to get £34m. And who could he sell the freeholds to other than the club?
    @JamesSeed...did you really mean Sandgaard...!?
    No. Cheers. 

• Always going to go quiet in week 3 of Jan with or without the sacking of MA. There will be a deadline day flurry (hopefully) but nothing until then is my uninformed guess.