Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafcwill said:
    so potentially we could have 5 players being announced today:

Goalkeeper - Ward
    Defender - Edmonds-Green
    Midfielder - Collins
    Striker - Ladapo
    Striker - Ikpeazu

or have I got this wrong?
    (obvioulsY WIOTOS)
    No one has said Collins today.. 

a bid has or is going in, if it is acceptable that is another matter yet. It is a sizeable offer that’s for sure 
    Interested to hear your thoughts @DubaiCAFC why do you think there has been such a change in approach/intent this month compared to the summer? 

Has more money been put into the group? Did we underestimate what was needed and have now reassessed? Did one of the larger investors get the football bug and want to put more in? 
    They certainly put more money in, and they said that at the fans forum, so that’s no secret, and the investors are more engaged now, and I think you are right maybe the football bug or protecting their investment. Let’s not forget how long the takeover dragged on, and people will say they had people in the building, and had control of last January, there hands where still tied, and everything had to be signed off by both parties, which wasn’t smooth! which meant some targets were missed.
    There was money in the summer spent, but some was rushed I would say, but at the time I thought some of the signings looked good on paper.

They was never going to sit on a 12 million investment and watch it struggle, and was always going to put money in.. hopefully these signings work out.. I think the board and the owners need a little bit of slack and credit.. but as I have mentioned, there are certain fans had already made there minds up, and would never support this group and will always look to pick holes and provide negative comments.
    think that may be true of a few but I think for most it's the old adage of 'actions speak louder than words'. Seems they are now pushing the boat out, shame they went with the cheap option for the manager/head coach.
  • MrBurns said:
    Got to hand it to the SMT. I had my doubts but they seem to setting us up nicely for next season. Still don't think MA is the right man but understand its easier get players in now with a manager in charge than without. 
    Should have done all this in the summer, they have been 'around' the club since last January.
    Some of these players wouldn't have been available in the summer. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Collins would be an incredible signing. Him playing behind a front 2 of May and Leaburn (or Ladapo) should piss the league next season

NEW
            NEW Jones Gillesphey 
    NEW   Coventry Dobson  NEW
                        Collins
                 Ladapo May 

We get those 4 signings right in the summer, we win the league. 
    Don’t need wingbacks Watson and Edun are excellent young players who will only get better their problem is the players they had in front of them not tracking back .. 
    Watson is 27 in 2 months, and Edun is 26 before the end of the season. players closer to 30 than 20 are not young players. I think both are fine as squad players but if we want to challenge at the top we need better next season.
    100% - Neither are good enough if we want a strong promotion winning team next season and neither will cut it in the Champ if we get there. 

After what he did last week for their goal, I want Watson dropped for the foreseeable. 
    Judge them in a team that is better all over the pitch. What we’ve had so far is a group unable to defend from the front or even midfield. That looks set to change big time. 
  • Don’t know why we’re getting excited about the strikers we meant to be signing we will still probably only play one up front 😬 it’ll be ikpeazu up front on his own May and ladapo on the wings. What a waste. 
  • jondon76 said:
    All these signings are great but there's no good having a formula one car if your going to get Mr Bean to drive it.
    Mr Bean always overcame adversity after initial challenges.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    cafcwill said:
    so potentially we could have 5 players being announced today:

Goalkeeper - Ward
    Defender - Edmonds-Green
    Midfielder - Collins
    Striker - Ladapo
    Striker - Ikpeazu

or have I got this wrong?
    (obvioulsY WIOTOS)
    No one has said Collins today.. 

a bid has or is going in, if it is acceptable that is another matter yet. It is a sizeable offer that’s for sure 
    That is the easy bit, it's the salaries that can make things sticky.
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Collins would be an incredible signing. Him playing behind a front 2 of May and Leaburn (or Ladapo) should piss the league next season

NEW
            NEW Jones Gillesphey 
    NEW   Coventry Dobson  NEW
                        Collins
                 Ladapo May 

We get those 4 signings right in the summer, we win the league. 
    Don’t need wingbacks Watson and Edun are excellent young players who will only get better their problem is the players they had in front of them not tracking back .. 
    Watson is 27 in 2 months, and Edun is 26 before the end of the season. players closer to 30 than 20 are not young players. I think both are fine as squad players but if we want to challenge at the top we need better next season.
    100% - Neither are good enough if we want a strong promotion winning team next season and neither will cut it in the Champ if we get there. 

After what he did last week for their goal, I want Watson dropped for the foreseeable. 
    Hate to repeat the argument, but that was entirely Jones' mistake. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Interesting thoughts from Bristol Rovers fans on Collins.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/21983/aaron-collins

Goals have dried up though he has 8 assists according to BBC, one of the best in the league.

Critisized for lack of effort, being lightweight, diving but some want him up front rather than elsewhere.

Sounds like the ability is there but they’re not getting the best out of him for whatever reason.

Perhaps he wants a move? I know they wanted £2m or something ridiculous a year or two ago.
    Head turned
  • NabySarr said:
    RoytheBoy said:
    Simple answer, the new owners did not have enough time to research new players after taking over and the transfer window closing.
    Scott surely knew he was going to be coming back? And it’s not like we aren’t signing well-known names at this level, Scott would have been aware of them all before even getting the job. I don’t think that excuse holds up really 
    100%
  • edited January 19
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    PWR

Maybe the Port Vale guy is a more reliable replacement for Chucks?

Not suggesting he’s better but perhaps injured less and will we pay up Chucks contract in the summer?
    We won’t pay up Aneke’s contract, it would be a stupid thing to do! What’s the point in paying him all the money he’s owed and him not playing for us, might as well pay him the money he’s owed and use him when he’s fit 
    Well, he’s not exactly playing for us now or ever, is he?
    He’s played 6 games this season, made an impact in them all, and we didn’t lose any of them. 

I’d rather pay him at least £250k a year to do that for us, than pay him the exact same to go and do it for someone else 
    You seem to be assuming that at some point we may get some injury free time and consistency from him. Nothing up to now suggests that will happen. He’s taking up space in the squad that might be used better and more reliably.
    You can’t just tear up his contract without paying him every thing he’s owed though? Unless he agrees to it but realistically why would he do that? So you can’t use that budget elsewhere. As far as I’m aware we aren’t near the limit of squad size either. So there’s no need to waste money getting rid 
    Well, we did it with Kirk, who clearly never contributed, you could arguably say the the same about chuks. So why bother with someone who’s constantly in the treatment room? That equally doesn’t make sense.

Sometimes, perhaps better to pay someone off, which may work out more beneficial in the long run.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting that’s the case, it’s just a thought.
  • J BLOCK said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do think cover for Edun at LWB would be something I'd consider as an " icing on the cake " signing. If we could make that happen it would round the window off for me 
    We don't need cover, we need a first choice LWB. 
    I think Edun deserves a good chance as a wing-back but if we can sign one as competition this window and let them battle for the first team spot that would be good. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 
    unbelievable - man's a confirmed buffoon if he's only just realised these things 
  • sam3110 said:
    MrBurns said:
    Got to hand it to the SMT. I had my doubts but they seem to setting us up nicely for next season. Still don't think MA is the right man but understand its easier get players in now with a manager in charge than without. 
    Should have done all this in the summer, they have been 'around' the club since last January.
    Some of these players wouldn't have been available in the summer. 
    Loads of others were.
  • DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 
    unbelievable - man's a confirmed buffoon if he's only just realised these things 
    Maybe he’s speaking more openly about them now that the problems are being resolved?
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Bit harsh on Marcus
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Maybe he’s speaking more openly about them now that the problems are being resolved?
    maybe but there was nothing stopping him setting the team up differently before 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

maybe but there was nothing stopping him setting the team up differently before 
    unless under instruction 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Bit harsh on Marcus

Hahahaha! I honestly didn't realise TC wasn't already on a long term deal but yeah I know that's aimed at Apples 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    jondon76 said:
    All these signings are great but there's no good having a formula one car if you’re going to get Mr Bean to drive it.
    True, but at the same time Mr Bean had no chance when his front wheels fell off. He started well until that happened.
    even taking into account all the extenuating circumstances there is absolutely no way on this earth we should be NINETEEN points off the last place off place, no wins in 10, 1 win in 11, especially when most of those 11 have been of the 'easier' game variety.
    I agree we shouldn’t but if we keep sacking managers after a bad run we’ll never find out if we have a manager who can turn it around.

Not saying he’ll repeat what Powell did but many would have happily seen him go in his first half a season.

I’d like to see what he does these next few games with more experience, quality and physicality in the squad. We’ve been losing by the odd goal, a few different players could have turned those games from defeats into wins. We know the difference having two big strikes in Leaburn and Aneke makes, never mind strengthening other positions too.

It’s not that I rate MA, more that we won’t help ourselves attract good managers and players if we don’t give any manager time.

A few games with the new signings and he’ll either prove the squad was the problem or himself. That looks better from the outside than if we get rid during the window when we’re busy making a lot of signings.
    I wonder what others would think constitutes a good end to the season and enables Appleton to start next season in charge?

10 points outside play offs?
    8?
    6?

surely if 10 or more we wouldn't have seen significant enough an improvement for him to stay?

• edited January 19
    J BLOCK said:
    We don't need cover, we need a first choice LWB. 

Agreed edun should be the cover imo if we get a better player in until he really proves himself. He's comfortable on the ball and mobile but isn't the best defender and doesn't do much attacking wise either  always cutting back inside or passing back ,we need a wingback who can fire in crosses and offer some kind of threat out wide atleast ,same goes for the other side.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    jondon76 said:
    All these signings are great but there's no good having a formula one car if you’re going to get Mr Bean to drive it.
    True, but at the same time Mr Bean had no chance when his front wheels fell off. He started well until that happened.
    even taking into account all the extenuating circumstances there is absolutely no way on this earth we should be NINETEEN points off the last place off place, no wins in 10, 1 win in 11, especially when most of those 11 have been of the 'easier' game variety.
    I agree we shouldn’t but if we keep sacking managers after a bad run we’ll never find out if we have a manager who can turn it around.

Not saying he’ll repeat what Powell did but many would have happily seen him go in his first half a season.

I’d like to see what he does these next few games with more experience, quality and physicality in the squad. We’ve been losing by the odd goal, a few different players could have turned those games from defeats into wins. We know the difference having two big strikes in Leaburn and Aneke makes, never mind strengthening other positions too.

It’s not that I rate MA, more that we won’t help ourselves attract good managers and players if we don’t give any manager time.

A few games with the new signings and he’ll either prove the squad was the problem or himself. That looks better from the outside than if we get rid during the window when we’re busy making a lot of signings.
    I wonder what others would think constitutes a good end to the season and enables Appleton to start next season in charge?

10 points outside play offs?
    8?
    6?

surely if 10 or more we wouldn't have seen significant enough an improvement for him to stay?

Well I’ve just put a grand on us to go up, so that’s a minimum.