Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Honestly thinking that odds against on us to be in the top half is a good bet at the moment.
  • As players who only joined the club a few months ago, and being asked to play wing back for the first time while at their new club, I think both Edun and Tennai are going to get the rest of the season to prove that they should be first choice next season.

No doubt it’s going to be an area we need to look at strengthening in the summer though.
    i don't think watson is up to it but may be useful squad back up - edun potentially as a wing back and may play better with better players around him but again, think we may need better 
  • NabySarr said:
    jondon76 said:
    All these signings are great but there's no good having a formula one car if you’re going to get Mr Bean to drive it.
    Even Mr Bean would have probably switched to 2 up top a few weeks before Appleton 
    And who would have played there with May Leaburn and Aneke all injured 
  • edited January 19
    RC_CAFC said:
    Honestly thinking that odds against on us to be in the top half is a good bet at the moment.
    100%. Think it’s a great bet. 3 behind Lincoln with a game in hand.About to smash on it and hopefully that will cover the cost of my hotels for the euros. I actually think we will finish 7 or 8th and surprise everyone. We have dropped silly points in December, because of not having any subs on the bench to make a difference. 

Surely, Orient or Northampton don’t have players of Camera, Ladapo to make a difference between now and the end of the season. It’s more important for Appleton that we compete until game 46, rather than going on summer holidays once we are mathematically safe. 

Plus, always got the free roll that Aneke returns and plays enough to get us some added points.
  • Uboat said:
    I haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if it has been covered. Can someone explain the logic of getting Lapado on loan? Does that mean the owners think we can still go up this year?
    I wouldn't have thought so U-boat. It's more likely that they can see CBT moving on and that would leave a huge hole in the goals 'for'  column. Both forwards within the club are injured long term and even though Chuks could be back training at the end of Febuary, his injury record suggests he could break down at anytime. Any suggested plan by the owners does not work if we get relegated, we don't address the problems in the forward line, then there is a good chance that can happen.
  • Uboat said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    jondon76 said:
    All these signings are great but there's no good having a formula one car if you’re going to get Mr Bean to drive it.
    True, but at the same time Mr Bean had no chance when his front wheels fell off. He started well until that happened.
    even taking into account all the extenuating circumstances there is absolutely no way on this earth we should be NINETEEN points off the last place off place, no wins in 10, 1 win in 11, especially when most of those 11 have been of the 'easier' game variety.
    I agree we shouldn’t but if we keep sacking managers after a bad run we’ll never find out if we have a manager who can turn it around.

Not saying he’ll repeat what Powell did but many would have happily seen him go in his first half a season.

I’d like to see what he does these next few games with more experience, quality and physicality in the squad. We’ve been losing by the odd goal, a few different players could have turned those games from defeats into wins. We know the difference having two big strikes in Leaburn and Aneke makes, never mind strengthening other positions too.

It’s not that I rate MA, more that we won’t help ourselves attract good managers and players if we don’t give any manager time.

A few games with the new signings and he’ll either prove the squad was the problem or himself. That looks better from the outside than if we get rid during the window when we’re busy making a lot of signings.
    I wonder what others would think constitutes a good end to the season and enables Appleton to start next season in charge?

10 points outside play offs?
    8?
    6?

surely if 10 or more we wouldn't have seen significant enough an improvement for him to stay?

Well I’ve just put a grand on us to go up, so that’s jinxed it. 

Fixed it for you :) 

• Bailey said:
    Uboat said:
    I haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if it has been covered. Can someone explain the logic of getting Lapado on loan? Does that mean the owners think we can still go up this year?
    I wouldn't have thought so U-boat. It's more likely that they can see CBT moving on and that would leave a huge hole in the goals 'for'  column. Both forwards within the club are injured long term and even though Chuks could be back training at the end of Febuary, his injury record suggests he could break down at anytime. Any suggested plan by the owners does not work if we get relegated, we don't address the problems in the forward line, then there is a good chance that can happen.
    It’s all terrible negative this window 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Where has Collins come from? 
    Born in Newport mate
    Which Newport?
  • NabySarr said:
    jondon76 said:
    Even Mr Bean would have probably switched to 2 up top a few weeks before Appleton 
    Tedic would have done a job there as it is his position. Never even considered - put him on the wing or up top on his own - incredible. 
  • Reams mentioned we are getting a new number 10, Collins hopefully, just wondering if there is any info on alternatives, should Collins deal go no further.
  • fenaddick said:
    Where has Collins come from? 
    Born in Newport mate
    Which Newport?
    I'd assumed the one in Rhode Island.
  • DOUCHER said:
    NabySarr said:
    jondon76 said:
    Tedic would have done a job there as it is his position. Never even considered - put him on the wing or up top on his own - incredible. 
    Kanu
  • edited January 19
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 
    unbelievable - man's a confirmed buffoon if he's only just realised these thing

What part of that article suggested that he has only just realised these things ?If you don't like him or rate him as a manager, that's fine Doucher but twisting an article to enrich your opinion is stretching it a bit. 
  • Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 

What part of that article suggested that he has only just realised these things ?If you don't like him or rate him as a manager, that's fine Doucher but twisting an article to enrich your opinion is stretching it a bit. 
    actions speak louder than words - he's had a minimum of 2 months to make this change - ever since leaburn and chucks got injured - the fact he hasn't has meant we have now slipped completely out of the play off picture - i don't dislike apples i just can't fathom how a football manager could continue playing the way we were  
  • Ffs!
    Woke up in Utah at 5.15am scrawled through all the messages and nobody has signed yet.......

Night!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I think she has hacked my phone... 

So he has got straight off the flight from Abu Dhabi, straight for a medical, they are rushing to complete before 12 noon today.
    I think Tash has her own very reliable sources.
    Yeah, her dad,  the Stadium manager 🤭
  • Think it's time to cut the new owners some slack. If all these rumoured signings come off, then it'll be one of the best transfer windows for a long long time.
    I agree with @DubaiCAFC that last summer, as we all know, TS was dragging the process out for his own gain! That left the new lot with little time to do much, and I agree what they did was crap! However, this is a new window, there are no excuses, it's all on AS and the board. So let's see what today brings, and indeed, the next 14 days. Whatever now transpires is down to AS, the board, and MA!
    If this is a start for making us properly competitive for next season then more power to them! Only time will now tell! 

I wont stand by a watch TS get rubbished by you!
    I've always been an ally to the great man and wont put up with it. 
    Our former entrusted leader and rock star and baby sandgaard were trailing Collins long before this lot appeared on the scene. ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkjidE0WnAI
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Poster on ITTV saying Edmonds-Green has been training with the squad today
    Deal or no deal? 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    Uboat said:
    It’s all terrible negative this window 
    I hope I have your meaning right Dubai. I'm not being negative if that's the case. Trying to sign a forward permantly in this window is difficult, we've tried and failed twice so far, CBT will leave in my opinion and as much as he can frustrate, his goals this season will be sorely missed. Lapado is a perfect signing and along with Coventry, is a standout signing within this window, whether is is a loan or permanent. 
  • Im lost , potentially we could sing Ward ( goalkeeper ) uche  ( ST ) Ladapo (ST)  Colin’s ( attacking mid / winger ) the lad from Huddersfield in defence - all today ?
  • edited January 19
    shirty5 said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Poster on ITTV saying Edmonds-Green has been training with the squad today
    Deal or no deal? 
    They are just on the super duper phone now.

No doubt we will go for the mystery box and get Harry Arter.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I think she has hacked my phone... 

So he has got straight off the flight from Abu Dhabi, straight for a medical, they are rushing to complete before 12 noon today.
    I think Tash has her own very reliable sources.
    Yeah, her dad,  the Stadium manager 🤭
    That’s strike one!
  • I've only skim read the last 8 pages. Where did the link for Collins come from
  • DOUCHER said:
    NabySarr said:
    jondon76 said:

DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    Uboat said:
    It’s all terrible negative this window DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

actions speak louder than words - he's had a minimum of 2 months to make this change - ever since leaburn and chucks got injured - the fact he hasn't has meant we have now slipped completely out of the play off picture - i don't dislike apples i just can't fathom how a football manager could continue playing the way we were  
    Your solution was to play Tedic up there, sorry but he was a shocker, up there with Penny as one of the worst. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Im lost , potentially we could sing Ward ( goalkeeper ) uche  ( ST ) Ladapo (ST)  Colin’s ( attacking mid / winger ) the lad from Huddersfield in defence - all today ?
    4 maybe, not Collins though as not that far advanced apparently.
  • RedJohn said:
    Reams mentioned we are getting a new number 10, Collins hopefully, just wondering if there is any info on alternatives, should Collins deal go no further.
    If Collins doesn't sign, do we really need to look for another 10 right now? We've just signed Fiorini, have Louie Watson and still got Fraser in the squad. If no one good is available I don't it as a position we need to rush.