Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• JCH is going to get what he wants isn't he?
  • It's not been a great afternoon :-(

• 400k is bonkers btw, he has 6 goals, I've watched them all and only one of them was good against Blackpool. I know there's probably more to his game but that's a crazy fee. On that basis Miles is worth at least 3-5 million surely?

As a punt a decent signing but 400k is a big wad on a player who I would see as a development player alongside Kanu
    But this is why we need to stop judging forwards on goals scored. Look at their form this year with him and without him. He improves his side when he is playing.

We have May to get us 20 goals, we need another to get us 10/15 and get others involved and give them more goals and opportunities.
  • Chunes said:
    Good on Goodwin I suppose for not just going to the highest salary. See, not every player does that, despite what you read on here. 

Now we're dropping down to who was 3rd on our list (or lower). Can't help but feel a bit glum about that. 

I take your point regards salary, but if taking into account relocating costs and all that goes with it he could well be substantially better off on a lower salary.
  • cabbles said:
    Can we stop using this thread to discuss whether or not Oxford is more appealing to live in than London please and get back on track to discussing George Dobson
    Agree re Dobson...oh and would prefer to live in Oxford meself...🙄
  • Chunes said:
    Good on Goodwin I suppose for not just going to the highest salary. See, not every player does that, despite what you read on here. 

Now we're dropping down to who was 3rd on our list (or lower). Can't help but feel a bit glum about that. 

I take your point regards salary, but if taking into account relocating costs and all that goes with it he could well be substantially better off on a lower salary.
    Could well be. But at 21 years old I doubt he's asked his accountant to crunch the numbers on that. Likely wants to stay near his family/mates. 
  • cabbles said:
    Can we stop using this thread to discuss whether or not Oxford is more appealing to live in than London please and get back on track to discussing George Dobson
    Agree re Dobson...oh and would prefer to live in Oxford meself...🙄
    He may not even need to relocate.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Gassan Ahadme next for me
    Injured and not expected back for another 7 weeks or so, not much use to us this year
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't look to be a lot of strikers available from League 2 , most are either loans , players that now can't move because they've played for 2 clubs or players that would be out of our reach (Olafe,Al-Hamadi, Langstaff) 

Just feels like we're going to end up with a loan off a championship club of a fringe striker, which isn't the end of the world but not really ideal unless it's got a permanent clause for the summer. 

• 400k is bonkers btw, he has 6 goals, I've watched them all and only one of them was good against Blackpool. I know there's probably more to his game but that's a crazy fee. On that basis Miles is worth at least 3-5 million surely?

As a punt a decent signing but 400k is a big wad on a player who I would see as a development player alongside Kanu
    It’s not bonkers if his all round game is very good for his age - Kermorgant and Taylor both added so much more than just their goals. Impossible to judge without watching him regularly, though for two clubs to offer £400k suggests there’s real potential there.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Gassan Ahadme next for me
    If we go for him he’s probably one for the summer as he’s currently injured [insert joke about him being an ideal January signing for us].

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/sport/amp/u-s-forward-set-for-extended-spell-on-sidelines-9346125/
  • seth plum said:
    Goodwin to Oxford, shame we miss out on a good decision maker.
    Happy for Methven though.
    It ain't over till it's over...c'mon Scott where are ya!!
  • I hope we are still able to make a bold move and grab somebody of quality.
    It seems the club are trying this time and it'll be a shame for all concerned if we end up with Rusty McJoblot as loan cover on deadline day
  • ButtleJR said:
    Quickly running out of strikers we can bid for. Wouldn't surprise me if we now get someone on loan and spend in the Summer.
    This, was told saturday if we miss out on our permanent targets we would loan one and sign one in the summer instead. 
    Which is fine as long as, to go all golfie on everyone, we are ready to go in the summer and get stuff done early. 👍 Would far rather we get the right people in the summer than be left with people not quite good enough signed in January.
  • If there is no one available now I’d prefer us to wait till summer take our time do our research. Is there anyone north of the border that could do a job for us? Occasionally some players from Irish league seem to come over and smash it as well maybe worth a look?
  • Bar Jake Young who Cawley has already ruled out, nobody else jumps out as the target man we need
  • Sponsored links:

• Oxford will be handy for his Post Masters Dissertation on Black Hole Theory...
  • RedChaser said:
    If Goodwin lives in the Cheltenham area, he’s only just over40 miles and an hour from Oxford which obviates the need for him to up sticks and given their top six position could sway it in their favour.
    They’re also not a complete shitshow.
  • Goodwin:£400k, May: £250k

that makes sense??????????????
  • Tbh, would be happy with our current strikers for the rest of the season and investing in some proper wingbacks now. Then sort out the ST situation in the summer.
  • Scoham said:

400k is bonkers btw, he has 6 goals, I've watched them all and only one of them was good against Blackpool. I know there's probably more to his game but that's a crazy fee. On that basis Miles is worth at least 3-5 million surely?

It’s not bonkers if his all round game is very good for his age - Kermorgant and Taylor both added so much more than just their goals. Impossible to judge without watching him regularly, though for two clubs to offer £400k suggests there’s real potential there.
    Haven't watched him enough to know, having a look at Cheltenham forums if he left last season they wouldn't have cared, this season he has bulked up and added more to his game.

The main draw for me was beating Oxford to a signing as they're usually on the money, time will now tell with that one though. I also liked his two goals against Blackpool, other than that there isn't much to see of him unless you're a Cheltenham fan.

I just hope we just secure the number 1 target now as he's levels above anything else we have been linked with. Hopefully this news pushes us to up our offer.

He's on 6k a week at Peterborough, our highest earner outside of Fraser is apparently May on 6.5k. I'd be curious to know what he's been offered as it must be more than May based on the Peterborough reactions. 

• Goodwin:£400k, May: £250k

that makes sense??????????????
    Realise they got shafted for May. Also Goodwin is a lot younger and some of that goes to Stoke
  • seth plum said:
    Goodwin to Oxford, shame we miss out on a good decision maker.
    Happy for Methven though.
    Double whammy for Methven, money not spent at Charlton and his team are strengthened.
  • Tbh, would be happy with our current strikers for the rest of the season and investing in some proper wingbacks now. Then sort out the ST situation in the summer.
    ?? - we've only got 2 fit ones and the 2 that are injured are long term