Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Well it appears we are happy to spend 400 - 500k on a striker, and offer a very decent wage package.

With that in mind, who else that we have not heard about yet, who fits that 'target striker' mould could we possibly be targeting? 
  • fenaddick said:
    Missed out on Goodwin. Via Cawley.

Oxford or London as a 21 year old? 
  • fenaddick said:

Called it yesterday sorry to say 😞.
  • fenaddick said:

I would guess it's more so with how Oxford are better than us than location surely.

Disappointing this, truth be told I am surprised we landed Conor Coventry. Expect we will have this same issue signing other players 
  • Well it appears we are happy to spend 400 - 500k on a striker, and offer a very decent wage package.

With that in mind, who else that we have not heard about yet, who fits that 'target striker' mould could we possibly be targeting? 
    Jamie Reid? A bit short but plays for Evans so must be good in the air. Disappointing goal return though. Humphrys? Similar in height to Reid but younger, goal return isn't amazing but good at holding up the ball. Rumoured interest from us. Sam Smith? Rumoured interest in the summer, scored a few goals since returning from injury too. Reading need cash. Then there's always the chance of a loan but that's a risk.

I think we'll go for Humphrys who would be my pick, wouldn't be disappointed with Smith though
  • fenaddick said:

I would guess it's more so with how Oxford are better than us than location surely.

Disappointing this, truth be told I am surprised we landed Conor Coventry. Expect we will have this same issue signing other players 

Coventry we probably won out on because of location, West Ham player wouldn't have to relocate or anything to play for us. I'd rather we didn't have another Kirk situation where we sign a player for a substantial fee and they never settle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:

I thought location was one of the deciding factors for Coventry signing for us 🤷‍♂️.
  • fenaddick said:

Think both help. He only moved to Cheltenham relatively recently so good not to have to relocate
  • edited January 17
    fenaddick said:

Partly location I would imagine but also position in the League doesn't help. They are top 6 & we aren't far off the relegation places. 

This is what happens when you dont plan properly in the summer & say "but we can always strengthen in January". I see those chickens coming home as it's getting close to roosting time.

My bet is a panic buy or another (dud) loanee.

Edit

And I see Godwin as a panic buy in this case. And to think people thought Stockon was a "one season wonder" last year. 
  • RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 
    Jones is struggling with being a regular CB at the moment. 
    He's been our only reliable CB most of the time this season tbf
    I agree, but his current form is a bit worrying. Most of the time he looks ok, as he’s ’no nonsense’, but when mistakes creep in he looks very fallible. Over the last ten games Hector has been the better option, but he’s out now. 
    I'm hoping Gillesphey will help whoever plays alongside him to perform better. It’ll be Jones that gets the nod over Ness and Thomas in a back four I suspect, and Ness will probably get the nod over Thomas in a back three. Another injury or two and we’ll struggle. I doubt they’ll bring in another CB now, but I think they should. 
    Zak and Deji aren’t ready imho, although if we get into a position where we’re safe they might consider playing one of them to gain some experience? Deji is back from his Bromley loan I think. 
    I think the mistakes he's made will be less when he plays with better defenders. Hector is too slow/casual IMHO
    And yet he was in a back four that won the Championship title a couple of years back. 
    He made four appearances that season. 

And what did they say about him at Fulham... "He's been one of the team's most error-prone defenders." Link.
    Fair enough Chunsey, didn’t know that. I’m sure I read when we signed him that he was a regular. 
    Apologies. 
    He reminds me of Naby slightly. On his day, very good, but can make you nervous watching him. 
    Chunsey ?
    Yeh come on Grumpy get with it, same as for Leuthy, Elfy and Jimmy (Seed) yours Chasey 😉

I doubt you do much of that at your time of life :'(
  • fenaddick said:

Oxford and the surrounding area is a lovely place to live.
  • edited January 17
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    I agree, but his current form is a bit worrying. Most of the time he looks ok, as he’s ’no nonsense’, but when mistakes creep in he looks very fallible. Over the last ten games Hector has been the better option, but he’s out now. 
    I'm hoping Gillesphey will help whoever plays alongside him to perform better. It’ll be Jones that gets the nod over Ness and Thomas in a back four I suspect, and Ness will probably get the nod over Thomas in a back three. Another injury or two and we’ll struggle. I doubt they’ll bring in another CB now, but I think they should. 
    Zak and Deji aren’t ready imho, although if we get into a position where we’re safe they might consider playing one of them to gain some experience? Deji is back from his Bromley loan I think. 
    I think the mistakes he's made will be less when he plays with better defenders. Hector is too slow/casual IMHO
    And yet he was in a back four that won the Championship title a couple of years back. 

And what did they say about him at Fulham... "He's been one of the team's most error-prone defenders." Link.
    Fair enough Chunsey, didn’t know that. I’m sure I read when we signed him that he was a regular. 
    Apologies. 
    He reminds me of Naby slightly. On his day, very good, but can make you nervous watching him. 
    Chunsey ?
    Yeh come on Grumpy get with it, same as for Leuthy, Elfy and Jimmy (Seed) yours Chasey 😉

I bet I could still give you a run for your money 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Apologies. 
    Chunsey ?

I bet I could still give you a run for your money 😉

Not in this heat mate, we'd be flat out after we put our trainers on.
  • Good on Goodwin I suppose for not just going to the highest salary. See, not every player does that, despite what you read on here. 

Now we're dropping down to who was 3rd on our list (or lower). Can't help but feel a bit glum about that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Been a slightly frustrating window but can't really blame the club this time. JCH playing silly buggers & Goodwin not wanting to move. Can't really do much more.
  • Either way, it's a target we have missed out on and we are going to start to look desperate if we approach another striker, don't want us signing players for the sake of it.

I got the impression Goodwin was only happening because of the result of JCH not going through. 

Be interesting to see who we target next.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Apologies. 
    Chunsey ?
    Yes Golfie
  • It’s increasingly looking like someone on loan until the summer
  • edited January 17

400k is bonkers btw, he has 6 goals, I've watched them all and only one of them was good against Blackpool. I know there's probably more to his game but that's a crazy fee. On that basis Miles is worth at least 3-5 million surely?

As a punt a decent signing but 400k is a big wad on a player who I would see as a development player alongside Kanu
  • Either way, it's a target we have missed out on and we are going to start to look desperate if we approach another striker, don't want us signing players for the sake of it.

I got the impression Goodwin was only happening because of the result of JCH not going through. 

For this reason I wouldn't be mega disappointed with a loan. Then properly target a striker for the summer, get them in before preseason.
  • fenaddick said:
    Either way, it's a target we have missed out on and we are going to start to look desperate if we approach another striker, don't want us signing players for the sake of it.

For this reason I wouldn't be mega disappointed with a loan. Then properly target a striker for the summer, get them in before preseason.
    I would be disappointed with a loan. 

Some might call that unreasonable... But if anything has been unreasonable, it's this season. 
  • Gassan Ahadme next for me