Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Could be a bidding war? If Oxford offered more again we would have to go higher or equal? 
    Once you have agreed a fee why would another club offer more? Could structure the deal differently but ultimately the fee would be the same.
    But the agreement would be cancelled the moment a higher bid comes in, surely 
  • fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think that’s more his level
    Pity he's not going to Middlesbrough, could have had a railway pun Stockton to Tees.
  • Not what I have been told, we are certainly interested, but if we can get the deal done is depending on Ipswich getting their target this month. If we can do a deal, we will still try and do this one even if we secure other targets.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Not what I have been told, we are certainly interested, but if we can get the deal done is depending on Ipswich getting their target this month. If we can do a deal, we will still try and do this one even if we secure other targets.

The way I read that tweet is that Ipswich don't want to let him go
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Excellent, hopefully I will never have to hear Charlton Life swoon over him again ;).
    Just wait, he'll score a goal for Barrow and it will be all lamenting that it could have been a goal for us. If he does well at Barrow the summer will be spent claiming he's back at it and we should get in there. If he does badly then we probably ruined his career by not signing him when we had the chance. The only way to solve this obsession is to sign him and then become very disillusioned when he plays. We call it Frasering.
    Did Stockton sleep with your Mrs? 
  • Scoham said:
    Fraser has gone backwards under Appleton. He’s a different player when he’s playing on the front foot rather than burdened with defensive duties. With better midfielders around him I still think Fraser is a very decent league one footballer. 
    Problem is if he’s paid like a top L1 player that’s not an effective use of our budget.

Based on his form this season he’s more like Ben Reeves than Joe Aribo.

No doubt the deeper role doesn’t help him, but he’s not even stood out creatively with his passing in that position.

He’s 29 soon, I wonder if we’re seeing a player who’s starting to decline rather than temporarily poor form that’ll be turned around by replacing Appleton. 

Even looking at last seasons infamous form, his goal and assist contribution mainly came against the cannon fodder of the league. He managed 1 goal and zero assists facing top 6 sides (Bolton).

Thats just not good enough for the wage and manner in which he is/was spoken of. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 
    Jones is struggling with being a regular CB at the moment. 
    He's been our only reliable CB most of the time this season tbf
    I agree, but his current form is a bit worrying. Most of the time he looks ok, as he’s ’no nonsense’, but when mistakes creep in he looks very fallible. Over the last ten games Hector has been the better option, but he’s out now. 
    I'm hoping Gillesphey will help whoever plays alongside him to perform better. It’ll be Jones that gets the nod over Ness and Thomas in a back four I suspect, and Ness will probably get the nod over Thomas in a back three. Another injury or two and we’ll struggle. I doubt they’ll bring in another CB now, but I think they should. 
    Zak and Deji aren’t ready imho, although if we get into a position where we’re safe they might consider playing one of them to gain some experience? Deji is back from his Bromley loan I think. 
    I think the mistakes he's made will be less when he plays with better defenders. Hector is too slow/casual IMHO
  • edited January 17
    Lewis Ward is having a medical at Charlton as we speak...or old news!
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Chrispy51 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed - it looks rubbish .  May and CBT are our only attacking threats so I’m nervous about losing half of that 
    Assuming CBT and Dubbo are on their way and we get the mooted CB and CF, I am imagining something like this:

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    Tennai Coventry Bakinson Tayo
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Alternative GK: AMB,
    Alternative CBs: Ness, Thomas, Hector when back from injury
    Alternative WB: Asiimwe, Tyreece
    Alternative DM: Taylor, McGrandles
    Alternative AM: Camara, Louie Watson
    Alternative CF: Leaburn, Chuks
    Think you are right there, but I would suspect we will move away from the 3-4-2-1 and to more of a 3-1-4-2 that we saw second half. 

Appleton commented on Bakinson being better second half when he was further forward so I think we will have 1 holding mid and two 8s from now on hopefully, and then 2 strikers 

Those 2 incomings (plus an extra striker hopefully) will put us in a decent place ahead of the summer. Where I hope we would then focus on upgrading the wing backs and adding goals from midfield (Fiorini could be the answer if he does well but probably need another attacking mid option anyway with no L.Watson and hopefully no Fraser) 
    Playing in a 10 behind the front 2 is exactly where Fraser wants to play, where he had his best stint of his career (MK Dons) and hasn’t played since joining us. 

I wouldn’t be worried if he left, but his ideal position could now become a reality at Charlton…
    He played there for us last season & scored 9 goals.

Definitely better as an attacking midfielder than in the deep role he has played this season (that has delivered 0 goals).
    9 goals and 5 assists under Holden 
    Fuck all under Appleshit.

A decent manager knows how to get the best out of his players 
    I don’t think playing Fraser as one of two holding midfielders as helped, but it’s also not entirely down to the manager. It’s no coincidence both managers got better results when we had more players fit, including having decent options up front.

Fraser’s an experienced player at this level and it’s up to him to perform even if he’s not in his ideal role. Even if he’s not able to get in goalscoring positions or play the final pass for assists he should add creativity through his ability on the ball and passing but we haven’t really seen that from him this season.

To me he looks like his fitness has dropped slightly and with him not being the fittest, most mobile or energetic to begin with that’s a problem.
    I agree with most of what you're saying especially the squad fitness, but re Fraser if a role doesn't your attributes then you're not likely to shine. Comments about his fitness mobility  , tackling, closing down etc are important in this league where  the balance of effort counts more and  skill less. For all his shortcomings which I accept, I did think we passed the ball out of defence and towards the half way line better when Fraser was in there in the deep midfield. Unfortunately the passing broke down as we moved into the attacking half.
  • dmccart32 said:
    Lewis Ward is having a medical at Charlton as we speak...or old news!
    he was having that a few days ago, but all went quiet :)
  • ButtleJR said:
    We were definitely after Ladapo, must be a case of Ipswich wanting to keep him. 
    They just lost George Hirst for a while with a hamstring injury so that'll be why they now need to keep Ladapo.
  • fenaddick said:
    Cawley also saying Ladapo a non starter
    Always going to be. 
  • According to Reams OV
    He must have spoken to Methven yesterday.
  • According to Reams OV
    Who also said we are after Ladapo too…despite what Cawley has said..,🤡
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Barrow Life are well chuffed with this transfer
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    Oooo .. I can feel a rivalry with Cheltenham Town developing 
    It’s an Oxford fan but same difference I suppose…
  • Don't most Cheltenham fans think we did them over on May, and so another striker heading our way, will make them stroppy 
  • _MrDick said:
    Oooo .. I can feel a rivalry with Cheltenham Town developing 
    We should be careful... they might gang up on us with Swindon

That'll leave Oxford bloomin' conflicted then
  • JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    I agree, but his current form is a bit worrying. Most of the time he looks ok, as he’s ’no nonsense’, but when mistakes creep in he looks very fallible. Over the last ten games Hector has been the better option, but he’s out now. 
    I'm hoping Gillesphey will help whoever plays alongside him to perform better. It’ll be Jones that gets the nod over Ness and Thomas in a back four I suspect, and Ness will probably get the nod over Thomas in a back three. Another injury or two and we’ll struggle. I doubt they’ll bring in another CB now, but I think they should. 
    Zak and Deji aren’t ready imho, although if we get into a position where we’re safe they might consider playing one of them to gain some experience? Deji is back from his Bromley loan I think. 
    Academy players from Charlton are never ready. However we bring in worse players from other academies and try to justify why they are playing badly.
  • According to Reams OV
    Cannot believe I'm defending Reams twice in a week but Cawley has said it's a non-starter, not that we aren't after him. We clearly want him, but it's one of Ipswich won't sell, we won't pay what they want or he doesn't want to come to us. Ladapo isn't an option for us, sounds like we've been rebuffed.
    I don’t think any rebuff is on Ladapos part. I just don’t think Ipswich are prepared to part with him at present. 
  • Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    I think the mistakes he's made will be less when he plays with better defenders. Hector is too slow/casual IMHO
    And yet he was in a back four that won the Championship title a couple of years back. He might have slowed down a bit since then, but he’s only 31. I agree that he has sometimes looked casual, but he’s improved that aspect of his game as the season has progressed, possibly because he’s realised L1 isn’t the cakewalk he might have been expecting. The Harris goal for Oxford was a reminder perhaps. 
    Obviously I hope Jones improves playing with Gillesphey, we’ll have see how it plays out. 
  • According to Reams OV
    Cannot believe I'm defending Reams twice in a week but Cawley has said it's a non-starter, not that we aren't after him. We clearly want him, but it's one of Ipswich won't sell, we won't pay what they want or he doesn't want to come to us. Ladapo isn't an option for us, sounds like we've been rebuffed.
    As far as i'm aware, Ipswich havent signed a striker and have a fair amount of injuries in that role? They arent going to leave themselves even worse off!