Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Chrispy51 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed - it looks rubbish .  May and CBT are our only attacking threats so I’m nervous about losing half of that 
    Assuming CBT and Dubbo are on their way and we get the mooted CB and CF, I am imagining something like this:

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    Tennai Coventry Bakinson Tayo
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Alternative GK: AMB,
    Alternative CBs: Ness, Thomas, Hector when back from injury
    Alternative WB: Asiimwe, Tyreece
    Alternative DM: Taylor, McGrandles
    Alternative AM: Camara, Louie Watson
    Alternative CF: Leaburn, Chuks
    Think you are right there, but I would suspect we will move away from the 3-4-2-1 and to more of a 3-1-4-2 that we saw second half. 

Appleton commented on Bakinson being better second half when he was further forward so I think we will have 1 holding mid and two 8s from now on hopefully, and then 2 strikers 

Those 2 incomings (plus an extra striker hopefully) will put us in a decent place ahead of the summer. Where I hope we would then focus on upgrading the wing backs and adding goals from midfield (Fiorini could be the answer if he does well but probably need another attacking mid option anyway with no L.Watson and hopefully no Fraser) 
    Playing in a 10 behind the front 2 is exactly where Fraser wants to play, where he had his best stint of his career (MK Dons) and hasn’t played since joining us. 

I wouldn’t be worried if he left, but his ideal position could now become a reality at Charlton…
    He played there for us last season & scored 9 goals.

Definitely better as an attacking midfielder than in the deep role he has played this season (that has delivered 0 goals).
  • Actually the absolute idiotic insanity of ‘the Dobbo to Hungary” story, obviously put out by his agent, makes me think that maybe, just maybe, it isn’t entirely the club’s fault if they are having trouble agreeing a new deal with him.  

Doubtless someone will be along to parrot the line that there are good as well as bad agents. So let me pre-empt  that by asking the poster to name such a (good) agent, and what makes him/her good; and would that “good” agent think it would be good for Dobbo’s career and personal life to go off and play in Hungary? 
  • Actually the absolute idiotic insanity of ‘the Dobbo to Hungary” story, obviously put out by his agent, makes me think that maybe, just maybe, it isn’t entirely the club’s fault if they are having trouble agreeing a new deal with him.  

Doubtless someone will be along to parrot the line that there are good as well as bad agents. So let me pre-empt  that by asking the poster to name such a (good) agent, and what makes him/her good; and would that “good” agent think it would be good for Dobbo’s career and personal life to go off and play in Hungary? 
    If the story pushes a better offer from elsewhere that results in a better deal somewhere he wants to play, wouldn’t that be a good thing, for Dobson? 

If the story pushes a better offer from elsewhere that results in a better deal somewhere he wants to play, wouldn’t that be a good thing, for Dobson? 
    That’s a big “if” because it is obviously a ludicrous idea, that Dobbo would actually go there; and a “good” agent would not need to resort to such tactics on behalf of such a good player whom Curbs among others thinks is well capable of playing in the Championship. 
  • edited January 16
    Actually the absolute idiotic insanity of ‘the Dobbo to Hungary” story, obviously put out by his agent, makes me think that maybe, just maybe, it isn’t entirely the club’s fault if they are having trouble agreeing a new deal with him.  

I mean ok, I'll bite as I had a friend who was an agent to the likes of Dorian Devite, Eboue and others some years ago. He was a very decent chap and a very successful Partner in a law firm (nothing to do with football originally).  

He loved his football and would have given his clients all the right advice.  Doesn't mean he wouldn't move them from a club or ask for big wages for his clients as ultimately he worked for them, not the club.

I very much doubt he would have ever come up with a bullshit storey of a Hungarian club in a situation like this.

So, yes, there are decent agents who work for their customers (the players); just like every walk of life you get all sorts.  I won't name my friend, it's not relevant and sadly he is not with us any more.

You ask what good things he might have done; well as a lawyer he would negotiate their contracts, read the small print, ensure the players rights were protected; ensure they got the best deal possible. He would arrange nutritionists to advice the players; he even helped one or two of them but cars and things.  Always amazed me how little some of his players knew about real life and he protected them to an extent. I think clubs have generally improved in that regard in more recent years but it wasn't always like that.

I did also meet another agent, total other end of the spectrum; complete arsehole, likely on the take from his players and utterly untrustworthy.  The fella had bought a Scottish title for a few quid on eBay and actually insisted on using "Lord" on business cards and the like!

I thought you were in recruitment, it's pretty similar in that you will get plenty of recruiters purely in it for themselves; of the very many headhunters I have come across; not a single one has ever said to me, "are you sure this is the right career move for you", or told me to see if I can get my existing employer to pay me the same so I don't need to move job.

Eric Choupu-Moting went from Stoke, to PSG, to Bayern Munich, earning a fortune in the process, all whilst being distinctly average. Id say he has a good agent
  • Sponsored links:

That’s a big “if” because it is obviously a ludicrous idea, that Dobbo would actually go there; and a “good” agent would not need to resort to such tactics on behalf of such a good player whom Curbs among others thinks is well capable of playing in the Championship. 
    Right now an ability to play in the championship is irrelevant as Dobson can’t receive a concrete offer from a Champ club.

He could however get an offer from a Hungarian club to put infront of Charlton ‘match this, or I’m off’ that’s the exact kind of thing I’d want my agent to be doing, surely it’s something most people would do when negotiating a new contract, I know I did exactly that a few months ago (with zero intention of moving city, but my employer didn’t know that) 
  • Goodwin is a younger player with obvious long term potential but I think if we wanna get out this league next season then I wouldn’t be too upset with Ladapo signing instead. It would then require more investment next season considering his and Mays age, but that’s a given going up a level anyway.

Right now an ability to play in the championship is irrelevant as Dobson can’t receive a concrete offer from a Champ club.

He could however get an offer from a Hungarian club to put infront of Charlton ‘match this, or I’m off’ that’s the exact kind of thing I’d want my agent to be doing, surely it’s something most people would do when negotiating a new contract, I know I did exactly that a few months ago (with zero intention of moving city, but my employer didn’t know that) 
    But would anyone really believe that Dobson would move to Hungary?

I can see the problem with this stance though.

But would anyone really believe that Dobson would move to Hungary?
    Would it be the weirdest move of all time? I doubt it. 
  • I wonder if we could get him
     with a cheeky bid?
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:
    New born baby and settled, no way is he moving to eastern Europe. 
    Could be agent talk to push Charlton into another offer.

Budapest is a beautiful city and a great place to bring up a family.
    I’d dispute that.
    Large parts of the city outskirts are like a Soviet era slum.
    Yes and that’s before we get to the football. The league is utter shite. He would be playing in front of three figure crowds away. More importantly match fixing is rife. That issue used to be problematic in Czech too, but its been cleaned up in recent years. But Viktor Orban is a football nut and results will go according to how he and Fidesz want them to. If its Ferencvaros he will get some European football. It will be the Conference and he will be playing in some shithole in Kazakhstan in July, or on the losing side in the Faeroes. The only British players who end up in leagues like this are cast-offs like Josh Parker.

I couldn’t open the article so I feared it was a Bundesliga 2 club, which would definitely be a step up for him, playing in front of 60k crowds in vibrant stadia. 

Hungary. LMAO. Anyone know who his agent is? 
    Boooo. Love Josh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chrispy51 said:
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed - it looks rubbish .  May and CBT are our only attacking threats so I’m nervous about losing half of that 
    Assuming CBT and Dubbo are on their way and we get the mooted CB and CF, I am imagining something like this:

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    Tennai Coventry Bakinson Tayo
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Alternative GK: AMB,
    Alternative CBs: Ness, Thomas, Hector when back from injury
    Alternative WB: Asiimwe, Tyreece
    Alternative DM: Taylor, McGrandles
    Alternative AM: Camara, Louie Watson
    Alternative CF: Leaburn, Chuks
    Think you are right there, but I would suspect we will move away from the 3-4-2-1 and to more of a 3-1-4-2 that we saw second half. 

Appleton commented on Bakinson being better second half when he was further forward so I think we will have 1 holding mid and two 8s from now on hopefully, and then 2 strikers 

Those 2 incomings (plus an extra striker hopefully) will put us in a decent place ahead of the summer. Where I hope we would then focus on upgrading the wing backs and adding goals from midfield (Fiorini could be the answer if he does well but probably need another attacking mid option anyway with no L.Watson and hopefully no Fraser) 
    Playing in a 10 behind the front 2 is exactly where Fraser wants to play, where he had his best stint of his career (MK Dons) and hasn’t played since joining us. 

I wouldn’t be worried if he left, but his ideal position could now become a reality at Charlton…
    He played there for us last season & scored 9 goals.

Definitely better as an attacking midfielder than in the deep role he has played this season (that has delivered 0 goals).
    9 goals and 5 assists under Holden 
    Fuck all under Appleshit.

A decent manager knows how to get the best out of his players 
    But Alfie May played in his number 10 role … with only 

3 in mid you could not have Fraser and May together 

• Goodwin is a younger player with obvious long term potential but I think if we wanna get out this league next season then I wouldn’t be too upset with Ladapo signing instead. It would then require more investment next season considering his and Mays age, but that’s a given going up a level anyway.
    Honestly if the plan really is to make a genuine promotion bid next season it should be "as well" not instead. Obviously then the difficulty is to convince Goodwin to give up being the main man which won't be easy but possibly doable if the other puzzle pieces are put into place.
  • DA9 said:
    Thommo said:
    (Like a) New Signing..#backonthegrass
    Oh look, they get to play with beach balls, toys and trucks 
    Even the players are planning protests :-) 
  • Chunes said:
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 
    Jones is struggling with being a regular CB at the moment. 
     with a cheeky bid?
    I've been mentioning him for the past 12 months. Should have gone in for him in the summer before he signed a new contract......or perhaps his agent was waving deals in Hungary before his eyes 🙄.
     with a cheeky bid?
    I've been mentioning him for the past 12 months. Should have gone in for him in the summer before he signed a new contract......or perhaps his agent was waving deals in Hungary before his eyes 🙄.
    I heard it was Moldova.