Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• RedChaser said:
    If Goodwin lives in the Cheltenham area, he’s only just over40 miles and an hour from Oxford which obviates the need for him to up sticks and given their top six position could sway it in their favour.
    My thoughts as well.
    But if we offered him more money than Oxford ....
  • Sambcafc said:
    Oxford have offered more for Goodwin than us according to another forum.
    Not correct - if you are going to quote from ITTV at least quote it right
    Chill out mate the forums aren't rival gangs :D

Sambcafc said:
    Chill out mate the forums aren't rival gangs :D

Reminds me, remember that fake Twitter account supporting Paul Elliottttt (the “owner”, not the former player/current board member)? They’d criticise Sandgaard and said something about Danish gangs in SE London. Good times.
  • Wot's happened to the goalkeeper who was having a medical, off?
  • Sambcafc said:
    Well he did say we had met Cheltenham's valuation. Bit of backtracking on that since.
    Almost like the person on that forum responsible for the comment is talking nonsense again...best to ignore him I'd say.
  • edited January 16
    Wot's happened to the goalkeeper who was having a medical, off?

He passed the medical with flying colours but unfortunately he dropped the black pen and it cracked. He said his fingers were numb so we will only play him in the spring and summer. Elf and safety is paramount.
  • Wot's happened to the goalkeeper who was having a medical, off?
    Just like every other transfer ever, there's more to it than just "here's your contract, sign here, jump up and down a bit and you're ours" it's not a 30 minute process.

Patience is a virtue Martin, you can't be a very virtuous man
  • RedChaser said:
    If Goodwin lives in the Cheltenham area, he’s only just over40 miles and an hour from Oxford which obviates the need for him to up sticks and given their top six position could sway it in their favour.
    "Obviates", the word of the day :)
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Just like every other transfer ever, there's more to it than just "here's your contract, sign here, jump up and down a bit and you're ours" it's not a 30 minute process.

Patience, that's a girls name ain't it?

Who you calling a big girls blouse, outside and put yer dukes up!;)
  • RedChaser said:
    I aim to please Elfy and glad I’ve brought a ray of sunshine into your day 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I aim to please Elfy and glad I’ve brought a ray of sunshine into your day 😉
    Got enough sunshine as it is mate B)
  • Bailey said:
    I'd rather we get a very decent loan centre forward/s in and revisit the market in the summer. Forget Goodwin and JCH, Cheltenham would be mad to let Goodwin go and JCH is looking to get a sky high wage in the autumn of his career. I can't knock either party in their stance but I'd rather Charlton were not held to ransom in this window, finding alternatives won't be easy though. 
    Politely disagree. I freely confess I know almost nothing about Goodwin, but I'm happy to go with reports. Whatever, it would be nice to start building for next season now, so if we can get him in and be looking for a JCH type striker without the need to pay whatever crazy deal the striker is asking for, it sounds like a good start.
    I have no problem with JCH wanting a decent last contract, but if he's going to play silly buggers and possibly leave us high and dry at the end of the month, I'd go fro Goodwin and wish JCH a long and happy career. 
    You might be right Ken, I certainly would steer clear of Clarke Harris though. 
  • You'd have thought that Alfie May might have been an encouragement to join us.

Mind, as someone else said our league position isn't exactly enticing.
  • Andy Scott might need to go see Mr. Goodwin in person and convince him that Charlton is the place to be, as he did with Mr. Coventry.
    Word in the covered end on Saturday was no deal had been agreed with Sheff Wed. We agreed 50% sell on fee with West Ham, which Sheff Wed didn't agree to, and that's what landed him.
  • sam3110 said:

My view, Sam wins with a first round knock out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Andy Scott might need to go see Mr. Goodwin in person and convince him that Charlton is the place to be, as he did with Mr. Coventry.
    Word in the covered end on Saturday was no deal had been agreed with Sheff Wed. We agreed 50% sell on fee with West Ham, which Sheff Wed didn't agree to, and that's what landed him.
    Still, Coventry could've kicked up a stink and said he isn't leaving, like JCH has done.

Players need to be convinced sometimes, whether it's Charlton v Oxford or Charlton v running down your contract
  • Valley11 said:
    So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed - it looks rubbish .  May and CBT are our only attacking threats so I’m nervous about losing half of that 
  • edited January 16
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed - it looks rubbish .  May and CBT are our only attacking threats so I’m nervous about losing half of that 
    Assuming CBT and Dubbo are on their way and we get the mooted CB and CF, I am imagining something like this:

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    Tennai Coventry Bakinson Tayo
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Alternative GK: AMB,
    Alternative CBs: Ness, Thomas, Hector when back from injury
    Alternative WB: Asiimwe, Tyreece
    Alternative DM: Taylor, McGrandles
    Alternative AM: Camara, Louie Watson
    Alternative CF: Leaburn, Chuks
  • edited January 16
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 
  • sam3110 said:

My view, Sam wins with a first round knock out!
    Yeah but you ain't taken into account the horseshoe I've got in me boxing glove!
  • wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

May Goodwin

Assuming CBT and Dubbo are on their way and we get the mooted CB and CF, I am imagining something like this:

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Think you are right there, but I would suspect we will move away from the 3-4-2-1 and to more of a 3-1-4-2 that we saw second half. 

Appleton commented on Bakinson being better second half when he was further forward so I think we will have 1 holding mid and two 8s from now on hopefully, and then 2 strikers 

Those 2 incomings (plus an extra striker hopefully) will put us in a decent place ahead of the summer. Where I hope we would then focus on upgrading the wing backs and adding goals from midfield (Fiorini could be the answer if he does well but probably need another attacking mid option anyway with no L.Watson and hopefully no Fraser) 
  • Chunes said:
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 

Calm down leuth
  • NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

May Goodwin

-----------Isted
    ----NEW Jones Gillesphey
    ---------May Fiorini
    -----------NEW

Think you are right there, but I would suspect we will move away from the 3-4-2-1 and to more of a 3-1-4-2 that we saw second half. 

Appleton commented on Bakinson being better second half when he was further forward so I think we will have 1 holding mid and two 8s from now on hopefully, and then 2 strikers 

Those 2 incomings (plus an extra striker hopefully) will put us in a decent place ahead of the summer. Where I hope we would then focus on upgrading the wing backs and adding goals from midfield (Fiorini could be the answer if he does well but probably need another attacking mid option anyway with no L.Watson and hopefully no Fraser) 
    Playing in a 10 behind the front 2 is exactly where Fraser wants to play, where he had his best stint of his career (MK Dons) and hasn’t played since joining us. 

I wouldn’t be worried if he left, but his ideal position could now become a reality at Charlton…
  • Croydon said:
    Andy Scott might need to go see Mr. Goodwin in person and convince him that Charlton is the place to be, as he did with Mr. Coventry.
    Still had to convince the player to drop down to League 1, with the likelihood he will be a league 1 player for at least 18 months. 

West Ham have done well with the deal if true. He would have gone for free in the summer anyway, this way they potentially benefit in the future and don’t have to pay his wages for the next few months. 
    Would he have gone for free in the summer? I thought he was still under contract till summer of 2025? If not I’m sure West Ham would have offered him a new deal to ensure they got a development fee for him.