Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    These failed loans eat £££ away too
    Maybe, but we don't know the loan terms.  Could be we only pay when he plays and different rates for starting v. coming off the bench.  Bigger issue is possibly that he takes up a loan space.  I know there is a limit of 5 loanees in the match day squad but not sure if there is a limit on the nymber of loan players a team can have.
  • CafcWest said:
    mendonca said:
    These failed loans eat £££ away too
    Maybe, but we don't know the loan terms.  Could be we only pay when he plays and different rates for starting v. coming off the bench.  Bigger issue is possibly that he takes up a loan space.  I know there is a limit of 5 loanees in the match day squad but not sure if there is a limit on the nymber of loan players a team can have.
    I believe it is 8, with 5 allowed in the match squad.
  • Valley11 said:
    So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed, Dobson Coventry Bakinson is the sort of midfield 3 you'd only play in tough away games where you're trying to park the bus.
  • Valley11 said:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

Be worried if this was our team next season, absolutely no creativity in that midfield 3 and 2 wing backs who so far haven't looked very creative either.
    Agreed, Dobson Coventry Bakinson is the sort of midfield 3 you'd only play in tough away games where you're trying to park the bus.
    I would presume that maybe the idea is that Dobson or Bakinson could be replaced with Fiorini if/when he is actually fit enough to start regularly.

Or instead of Goodwin maybe look at a more Kermorgant type forward who is creative as well as scoring a few, though finding one of those will be tricky.
  • I remember Barry Fry back in the late 80's early 90's when he was with Stan Flashman at Barnet.
    He must have got the 'gift of the gab' from him.
    Fry would have been well suited working for Sky Sports.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 16
    PopIcon said:
    I'm not a contract expert. However, Peterborough risk losing him for nothing in the summer and Charlton want the player.
    Why not try and renegotiate? Posh get £350k and JCH gets a £150k signing fee. That's essentially an extra £2.8k p/w for the first year.
    Not with two weeks left of the window. Peterborough will stand firm a while yet.
  • Was seriously impressed with Goodwin earlier in the season at our place , thought his movement was excellant.
  • edited January 16
    Vfrf said:
    Maybe we're hanging onto him with Hector being out for 10 weeks just in case we fail to get another defender in
    Would rather play Asiimwe at RB and Elerewe at CB. Honestly think he gives us nothing except more depth incase Ness, Jones & Gillesphey all get injuries at the same time within 10 weeks.
    Elerewe we’d need to have a proper look at. He looked ok in a couple of early games. Then didn’t. 
    Hector was our in form defender over the last ten games, until the injury. And recent form matters. But who knows how he’ll get over his injury. He’d hardly been injured in his career before, so no previous examples of recovery times etc. He’s a Championship winning defender. You could see evidence of that in recent games, if not in earlier games. 
    Agree that Abankwah didn’t look good enough, even as cover. 
    Ness looked great, got injured, then didn’t when he came back. But he seems to be improving again, so I feel the club might want to stick with him to see how he does for a few games.
    But I would be pleased if they bought in another quality CB with more experience, as Jones hasn’t looked good recently, and Ness might struggle against the better teams (although didn’t against Peterborough). 
    And Gillesphey should be ok based on his record, but will need games to prove that. 

• I thought we had already given him a deadline of last week anyway, so tell him to do one, and move on to someone who actually wants to play for us, can't waste any more time waffling about with that loser...🙄
    Last offer was last week, Barry Fry interview could have been last week, or he is just simply referring to last week.  
  • I'd rather we get a very decent loan centre forward/s in and revisit the market in the summer. Forget Goodwin and JCH, Cheltenham would be mad to let Goodwin go and JCH is looking to get a sky high wage in the autumn of his career. I can't knock either party in their stance but I'd rather Charlton were not held to ransom in this window, finding alternatives won't be easy though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    I'm not a contract expert. However, Peterborough risk losing him for nothing in the summer and Charlton want the player.
    Why not try and renegotiate? Posh get £350k and JCH gets a £150k signing fee. That's essentially an extra £2.8k p/w for the first year.
    Not with two weeks left of the window. Peterborough will stand firm a while yet.
    Stand firm and hope for what exactly? No club is going to better our offer as they already know what Peterborough accepted.
  • edited January 16
    kentred2 said:
    Local rag says “Clarke-Harris who has been unable to break back into a Posh team based on youth, pace and technical excellence“

So old cart horse, with limited ability? 
    Ironic considering if JCH was playing, they probably would have beaten us more comfortably as sometimes they were missing a physical presence.

If he had a longer term contract there, he'd still he starting I imagine, they've just sensibly built a team for life without him and kept an asset safe. 

They're trying to talk JCH into leaving so he doesn't go on a free, I'd see if they'd be willing to lower their valuation and see if that can be used on him.

I'd like to know Coventrys wage and how it fairs against what would be a classed as a 'top level League One player' 

As so far, two of our key assets aren't signing up and one who seems to be there for the taking, thinks the offer isn't high enough, which seems odd as he has played for Rotherham, Bristol Rovers, Coventry and Peterborough in recent years. This isn't a player who has a history of being on high wages, and I doubt a championship club will pay him a fortune, or it would have already happened last season.

Already we have fans saying that they don't want players who break a wage structure and turning on players essentially. Yet none of us know what kind of wages we pay or offer for certain.

Still have my doubts here certainly.
  • Need a transfer fix 

Been four days now.
    Lewis Ward our new third choice GK might be confirmed today?
  • edited January 16
    Need a transfer fix 

Been four days now.
    I'll give you my details and you can transfer me £20 if you fancy?

You can give me your details mate, and I can make a transfer..

...you can trust me😎
  • Valley11 said:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

May Goodwin

If that's our team we are looking at mid table again, especially if Appleton stays I reckon. 

We need a top centre back, two wing backs who can actually attack and track back, a midfielder who can create and then a proven striker to play with May, to me Goodwin would be a bit of a gamble still. 

Edun, Watson, Goodwin and Ness all certainly make decent bench options for me though. 
  • Bailey said:
    I'd rather we get a very decent loan centre forward/s in and revisit the market in the summer. Forget Goodwin and JCH, Cheltenham would be mad to let Goodwin go and JCH is looking to get a sky high wage in the autumn of his career. I can't knock either party in their stance but I'd rather Charlton were not held to ransom in this window, finding alternatives won't be easy though. 
    Politely disagree. I freely confess I know almost nothing about Goodwin, but I'm happy to go with reports. Whatever, it would be nice to start building for next season now, so if we can get him in and be looking for a JCH type striker without the need to pay whatever crazy deal the striker is asking for, it sounds like a good start.
    I have no problem with JCH wanting a decent last contract, but if he's going to play silly buggers and possibly leave us high and dry at the end of the month, I'd go fro Goodwin and wish JCH a long and happy career. 
  • edited January 16
    Peterborough are desperate for JCH to leave as they need the money hence Barry Frys comments with the new contract contract offer and the finances in football. The last thing that they want is their biggest earner sitting in the stands, and leaving at the end of the season for nothing, JCH is holding all the cards.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/peterborough-united-striker-turns-down-second-bid-from-charlton-athletic/