Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Wolves midfielder Chem Campbell has agreed a move to Wycombe Wanderers after ending his loan spell at Charlton, sources have told Football Insider.
  • Stewart said:
    Didn’t Cheltenham start the season breaking records for not scoring? Now we are trying to buy there striker.
    Goodwin missed 10 out of the 11 games at the start of the season due to injury
    Just our player then. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:
    Alfie must know Goodwin?? 
    Yeah he was at Cheltenham last season but barely played. Seems he’s had a breakthrough this season, probably helped by May leaving.

It’s only half a season though, can only think we’re impressed by his all round game because his goalscoring record isn’t that impressive.

Only 21 so hopefully we’ve spotted someone with real potential and are getting in there early before he pushes on further.

It’s a gamble, but if we wait too long and he starts scoring regularly there could be interest from Championship clubs with bigger budgets. And if he’s not our only striker signing the pressure won’t be on him to make an immediate impact.
    Looks to have a good scoring record down the middle...
    Good chance Appleton looks at this and goes with playing him FWL
  • Yann897 said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We played 352 in the second half not the first half .
    First half was 4321 with two number 10 second half we went 4132 
    😂😂😂 this is some serious nonsense 
    MA said “ first half we tired two number 10 Campbell and Campbell to link with May but they never really got the chance to stamp themselves on the game , second half we pushed midfield further up the park and added another striker “ 
    It was was 343…and that 352 in the second half. If you couldn’t spot that we were playing 3 at the back, you should give up watching football 
  • Yann897 said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    MA said “ first half we tired two number 10 Campbell and Campbell to link with May but they never really got the chance to stamp themselves on the game , second half we pushed midfield further up the park and added another striker “

you should give up watching football 
    Edited it for you
  • edited January 15
    Looking like we are firmly hunting for Will Goodwin, hopefully we can Rob Cheltenham for him, the man in Damond 

There's a how'd you like those apples joke in there somewhere as well 

Christ that's poor, slow day 
  • No signings today. That is a disgrace!
  • Yann897 said:

Epic.
    It was was 343…and that 352 in the second half. If you couldn’t spot that we were playing 3 at the back, you should give up watching football 
    It was 3-4-2-1 in the first half and the 2 in that formation were playing way too narrow which kept leaving us exposed, particularly on the right. It could be that they were supposed to be playing 3-4-3 but both Campbells were too narrow due to their lack of understanding between a 2-1 and a front 3 (wide) which needed sorting and thankfully was sorted. I thought second half we were 3-1-4-2 with the RM and LM dropping to make a 4/5 when defending and defo going with 6 in attack when turning over. The 1 was Dobbo until Coventry came on who then took the deep lying DM role. Get that latter formation working right and it is a very attacking formation and should keep oppos pegged back as long as the forwards have the stamina to press or 90 mins+. A 3-5-2 will either have 2x CDMs and a CAM or 3 x CMs to pack the middle of the park, didn’t see that, so think it was a 3-1-4-2… “It’s life Jim, but not as we know it…!”
  • Sponsored links:

• Goodwin doesn’t even have a Wiki page. It’s a no from me.
    Yes he does
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Goodwin_(footballer)
    He does mate: 

https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Will_Hunting
  • fenaddick said:
    Certainly sounds like we've given up on JCH/showing him we won't just cave. Seems positive to me
    Good. He's apparently not keen on joining so it wouldn't fill me with any confidence that he'd be putting in maximum effort.
    And this is why I don’t think a JCH loan to us is a starter (if ever it was). It could be another Lyle Taylor situation. Although for Peterborough it could work of course 
    It was never going to be a loan.
  • JamesSeed said:
    No signings today. That is a disgrace!
    We only sign players on Fridays!
  • RedChaser said:
    Goodwin doesn’t even have a Wiki page. It’s a no from me.
    14 goals in 70 apps

• I wonder if the ‘derisory’ fee accepted for Alfie and the subsequent stick the Cheltenham board received will have any sway on a) if they agree to sell Goodwin and b) if they sell him to us?

Money talks, obviously, but if Oxford match our bid perhaps it’s a slightly more palatable destination for Goodwin than The Valley. 
  • edited January 15
    RedChaser said:
    Goodwin doesn’t even have a Wiki page. It’s a no from me.
    14 goals in 70 apps

Yeh but I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that he’s only 21 and still maturing. Plus if he was ripping up trees at that age he would have already been snapped up by a club higher up the pyramid. Hopefully he’s a late developer like so many have been in the past and is worth a punt for the future 🤷‍♂️. He’ll have a presence in both boxes and If his hold up play is good that’ll do for now.
  • Goodwin is only 21, a couple of years older than the likes of Kanu who most of us think has a lot of potential but is a year or two away from week in week out men’s football. On that basis, all the stats tell me is that he has already played quite a lot of games for a 21 year old lower league player and his game appears to be improving with his goals to games ratio more recently. If Alfie had some input and would like to develop a partnership with him (footballing, keep old Kenneth in his box), then go for it I reckon. Hopefully we will be creating bags more chances than Cheltenham for starters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    Sherlock, or Ricky?
    Eamon
  • Also hope we sign this player so that every game I can point and mutter the words ‘Goodwin that…’ to my boy. Will be such a very rare but satisfying feeling. No doubt will be subbed off in the 80-85th minute every game 💥 🤯🔫 🍎 🍏 🖕🏻
  • fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ward I don't really understand the logic behind , I guess if they have concerns about Isteds knee being something that will keep him in and out of the squad? 
    Think this is it. Coupled with AMB injury tendencies (although that's been fine this season) it's sensible to have someone on the books as cover. He seems happy to be cover too
    He's also a good character to have around the place.
  • edited January 15
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    Sherlock, or Ricky?
    If only we could have a Ricky Holmes again. He was a serious player 
    fucked his back carrying us that one season
    Still grates on me that he scored a hat trick away at Shrewsbury and we lost 4-3 😩. Charlton doing then what they do now score three goals away from home and still can’t win 😤.

edit; an exception of course being Wigan away this season which we almost managed to screw up 😏.
  • I remember his celebration against us. Very odd

Ran and cupped his ears to about 3 blokes with thermos flasks and blankets didn't he, thought at the time it was all a bit pathetic and assumed he must be a Palace or Millwall fan or something.
    Goodwill Goodwin

'It was smiles all round at the Valley today after Charlton new boy Will Goodwin bagged a neat hattrick on his home debut.

After securing the match ball the prolific target man sprinted across to the West Stand to celebrate....but not with his manager and the subs bench but with three unsuspecting addicks in tartan blankets.

Goodwin explained "I scored here before and these 3 blokes were giving it all game for no reason. I've played at the Den, Leeds and some proper grim places and am no shrinking violet...but the relentless filth these fellas came out with was beyond obscene and I lost faith in humanity a bit after 90 minutes of rabid abuse so was pleased to score and did a little cup to ear thing.

I think it's caught on cos the gaffer does it to the fans each week now. Anyway it's all forgotten and put to bed and that last goal was for them as a sort of no hard feelings thing".

The SLP caught up with the 3 geriatric die hards (seen here posing with Goodwin and his man of the match award in the Fans' Bar after Saturday's game).

Bert Guntridge, 84, from Bexley said "It's all a bit of pantomime fun and all in the past. I was frothing ovaltine at the ear cup but Will's a good lad now I've got to know him and I wish him the best for his time with us".

"Marjorie Grimbleworth, 77, from RoyalTunbridgeWells, said of the events "Well at the time of ear cup gate I shit my spleen (literally) and had to be held back by my husband and several stewards from climbing onto the pitch to put one on him. But all forgotten now and he signed my programme and looks the type who calls his mother regularly so I'm going to sponsor his shirt".

And finally the ringleader of the hooligan trio, Frederick Alwaysmoan, 82, from Erith quipped "He's shit. Fucking pony. Simon Church would've got 5 today. Fuck him. And fuck charlton. It's all shit. Pie was good today though , bit cold but good so pleased to see they're getting something right".

Read more about this story and the latest on the West Stand car park pot hole saga online.
    Superb
    Just out of interest, how are the west stand potholes coming on?
  • RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    Sherlock, or Ricky?
    If only we could have a Ricky Holmes again. He was a serious player 
    fucked his back carrying us that one season
    Still grates on me that he scored a hat trick away at Shrewsbury and we lost 4-3 😩. Charlton doing then what they do now score three goals away from home and still can’t win 😤
    Don't forget Yaya pissing Sanogo managed to score a hat trick in a match we still lost 4-3. It's our favourite.
  • Best rumour of the day I've seen.... Alfie May to Palace for around £10m... Source - Ackworth
    adidas NEW They had us in the first half not gonna lie
  • Best rumour of the day I've seen.... Alfie May to Palace for around £10m... Source - Ackworth
    Wouldn't rule out someone coming in with a big bid...🙄