Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• jams said:
    If we're playing 352 it makes the wingbacks even more important 
    Agreed.

When everyone is fit, we have 10 players that can play in the midfield 3 (I can see some of them going), but only 1 that can play left wing back and 2 that can play right wing back. Both positions need some focus. 

• Think TT must have a good agent, he’s a solid backup in a back 3 but not starting quality for either of those teams 
  • Imagine we will be playing this then? Consistently I mean.

5-3-2 Formation

Very unlikely we'll sign players with exactly those names in next two weeks I'd wager.
    Thats a shame as fullback/winger is highly rated!
  • edited January 15
    NabySarr said:
    Honestly think this would be a mistake. Terrel Thomas isn’t great, but in a 3 at the back system he’s a lot better. And are you going to find a better player that’s happy to be a backup and on that wage? Seems like a good character behind the scenes also 
    Especially a mistake when you consider TT is 90 minutes good to go and some of our recent signings aren’t.

TT looked woeful when he was in for Edun but has looked okay at CB. Unless we have another permanent CB coming in who’s good to play 90 mins right away I’d keep TT until the end of the season.
  • The big question in my mind is whether we're recruiting for this season, to have a genuine attempt at the playoffs, or are we recruiting to finish the season well, and then go for it next season.

At the start of December, the playoffs were still a realistic goal, but the awful results since then have made it nearly impossible, so we really should be planning ahead for next season now, and while there will be players in the squad who aren't considered good enough, it doesn't make sense to replace all of them in a January window, when there will be better and more affordable alternatives in the summer.

The wing/full back options aren't good enough for a promotion side, and I'm unconvinced by both keepers, but that's less urgent than getting in a couple of strikers.
  • NabySarr said:
    Honestly think this would be a mistake. Terrel Thomas isn’t great, but in a 3 at the back system he’s a lot better. And are you going to find a better player that’s happy to be a backup and on that wage? Seems like a good character behind the scenes also 
    Depends who we bring in, he’s comfortably in that middle 8 group for me, unlikely to progress beyond L1. You need some players like that but maybe other clubs are willing to give him a longer contract and/or more game time than us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Cawley’s confirmed striker Jake Young isn’t a target.

Good. Flash in the pan
  • Like the sound of him being big AND mobile.
  • Goodwin is 21 so another young player?
  • edited January 15
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We have been paying 4-3-3 because we never had the squad to play 3-5-2.

Only really one fit striker, and CBT who can't play as a wing back and you would be a brave manager to drop him. Imagine the scenes if Apples did.

Furthermore Abrankwah who seemed to someone who should slot into that right side of a back 3 was not rated, and Ness had a poor pre-season wwhich only left us with Thomas to play 3 at the back.

What formation would you have played Golfie and why?
  • Sponsored links:

• So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We have been paying 4-3-3 because we never had the squad to play 3-5-2.

Only really one fit striker, and CBT who can't play as a wing back and you would be a brave manager to drop him. Imagine the scenes if Apples did.

Furthermore Abrankwah who seemed to someone who should slot into that right side of a back 3 was not rated, and Ness had a poor pre-season wwhich only left us with Thomas to play 3 at the back.

What formation would you have played Golfie and why?
    We played 3-5-2 for the first 2 games and it worked fine with CBT at wing back, he was our best player. With Thomas LCB we just shifted into a back 4 at times and CBT didn’t have to do much defending. All we needed was a proper striker and we’d have been fine but Holden never got one. 

We shouldn’t have sacked Holden so soon, and then even after that, the new manager should have been continuing that plan rather than going with Appleton’s different approach. Scott and Appletons failure to realise this sooner is the reason our season is over 
  • I remember his celebration against us. Very odd
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:
    New born baby and settled, no way is he moving to eastern Europe. 
    Could be agent talk to push Charlton into another offer.

Budapest is a beautiful city and a great place to bring up a family.
    Presumably not if you don't speak Hungarian!
    Most people speak English
  • Reams saying that we’ve had a bid accepted for Goodwin, he claimed we had a bid a second time last night so seems to be close to this one 
  • Imagine we will be playing this then? Consistently I mean.

5-3-2 Formation

Very unlikely we'll sign players with exactly those names in next two weeks I'd wager.
    Thats a shame as fullback/winger is highly rated!
    & his brother on the other side is pretty decent
  • Scoham said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    First half was 3-4-3 (or 3-4-2-1) with May as a lone striker. Second half with May and Kanu up front was a big improvement.
    We played a 3-4-3 first half and well it was atrocious. 2nd half we went 3-5-2 and it was 10x better. I feel Crapples has been told to plan for the future without CBT, Hence the push on the change