Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Dobson gets dropped for a few players that have a combined 100 minutes or so for Charlton. 

A better manager would make sure he's in the team, he's undoubtedly one of our better players and should be part of our rebuild. 

If you're of the view he's leaving so you'd want to see what else we have to offer then fair enough, but if he stays put (I really, really hope so) he is without a doubt one of the first names on the sheet.
    I don’t think any player has a right to be picked ahead of better players. He’s been our lynchpin for ages, and earlier in the season he was unbelievable, but if he ends up on the bench because we have better, then that can only benefit the club. 
    I just think sometimes on here we can jump the gun a tad.

I think back to the Michael Morrison situation, he was quickly moved from the team by Bikey and Ben Haim, Morrison was a mainstay of our team. A lot of people were saying that we had moved on from Morrison etc. 

Fast forward, both Bikey and Ben Haim aren't at the club, we get relegated, Morrison goes on to be a mainstay at Reading and Birmingham in the championship as captain for both? 

It would be insane to suggest 3 players who we have barely seen feature could dislodge our captain and player of the season imho. He's guilty of being surrounded by pants players, if he had more quality around him I would be willing to bet you wouldn't see his erratic challenges as much. 

Him and Coventry (I think) would be two great players for a promotion chasing side in this league. We just need better players around them now 
    Morrison wasn't entirely comparable, as for a start he was pushed out AFTER signing a contract, a ludicrous decision.

If Dobson was to sign his contract offer, then I'm sure he'd still get plenty of game time, but going forward I would question whether he would be the guaranteed pick he has been. We've not signed Coventry to sit on the bench, and then it's a question of the balance in midfield. Are we playing 3 midfielders or 2 plus a more attacking player? Bakinson definitely added something on Saturday, while a fit Camara (if that ever happens) would surely be really strong competition for Dobson as well.
  • We currently have 6 loan players, including the mysterious Abankwah, making me wonder if there was no exit clause on either side.

The other 4 are FOUR midfielders and 1 attacking midfielder, which feels a really unbalanced use of the loan market. 
  • was told by someone I trust yesterday that Dobson does not want to leave the club and is very happy here. Seems we've made him what we think is a good/fair offer....but he clearly thinks he's worth a bit more.

Whether we can find common ground is the question.
    Sounds promising and hopefully sounds like a deal can be struck it would be one less player to replace for a rebuild, Fiorini and Bakinson are only on loan so no reason any recent signing pushes Dobson out the door.

Could come down to whether Appleton still feels Dobson is the guaranteed starter he has been which might define how much the club are offering and how much Dobson is wanting.
  • fenaddick said:

Coming in to be 3rd choice? Or is one of the others leaving 
  • We currently have 6 loan players, including the mysterious Abankwah, making me wonder if there was no exit clause on either side.

The other 4 are FOUR midfielders and 1 attacking midfielder, which feels a really unbalanced use of the loan market. 
    Abankwah left 
  • Addick_8 said:
    New born baby and settled, no way is he moving to eastern Europe. 
    Could be agent talk to push Charlton into another offer.

Budapest is a beautiful city and a great place to bring up a family.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 15
    We currently have 6 loan players, including the mysterious Abankwah, making me wonder if there was no exit clause on either side.

Cawley said there's only no recall/return option on Camara. Abankwah is going/has gone back. 
  • NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:

Coming in to be 3rd choice? Or is one of the others leaving 
    It's a weird one as he's also a youth coach at Swindon despite being relatively young. I'd guess he's third choice but with an eye to helping out Henderson in the coaching department

Abankwah left 
    He's still on our books. Just back at Udinese for treatment for an injury. Like previously said presumably due to no allowance for a recall 
  • shirty5 said:
    That to me is the one of the most blatant pieces of agent bulls++t I have ever seen.

(Rapidly deletes post as Dobson signs for this Eastern European team!)
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:
    New born baby and settled, no way is he moving to eastern Europe. 
    Could be agent talk to push Charlton into another offer.

Budapest is a beautiful city and a great place to bring up a family.
    Presumably not if you don't speak Hungarian!
  • Ward I don't really understand the logic behind , I guess if they have concerns about Isteds knee being something that will keep him in and out of the squad? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Ward I don't really understand the logic behind , I guess if they have concerns about Isteds knee being something that will keep him in and out of the squad? 
    Think this is it. Coupled with AMB injury tendencies (although that's been fine this season) it's sensible to have someone on the books as cover. He seems happy to be cover too
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    In my opinion Dobbo walks into any team in this division and very probably Birmingham, QPR, Millwall and any lower half Championship team.
    You’re just saying that because you have such respect for Public School boys. 
  • Scoham said:
    fenaddick said:

Strange one as he’s 27 in March and hasn’t really been a regular during his whole career.

Got to be cover, but makes me wonder why when we could get an emergency loan for a GK if needed.
    Or Isted is seriously crocked and/or not rated.
  • edited January 15
    fenaddick said:

Thats a nice bit of transfer news youve posted there, but, do you think we could ever move on from having George Dobson or not? Do you think suggesting a change is punishable by the "your'e not proper Charlton" death penalty? 
  • Feels an odd one, seeing that he's been a backup keeper in L2 for the last 3 seasons. And has never played a game higher than that level either.

Looking at his Wiki page, he has a degree in journalism, so maybe he'll combine his keeper duties with writing for the matchday programme.
    Fairly sure he's just coming in so we have an extra body available should AMB/Isted get injured. AMB seems to get a bit streaky with injuries, Isted been out for a while and will take time to recover full I guess.

I imagine that it will be a fairly short contract.

• Uboat said:
    seth plum said:
    In my opinion Dobbo walks into any team in this division and very probably Birmingham, QPR, Millwall and any lower half Championship team.
    You’re just saying that because you have such respect for Public School boys. 
    Eh?