Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    I think every team in League one and half the championship will be after him
  • edited January 14
    Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    Rumour was on here three days ago
  • sam3110 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.
    In 91 apps he got 13 assists according to his stats , and 136 apps with 21 goals that not a player who going to get you promoted … not consistent enough .. you can’t carry a player who may have a brilliant 5 min spell in a game .. 
    Our highest assist maker and second top scorer this season, and therefore after May is our highest contributor to goals.

You keep posting the shit, I'll keep posting the facts 👍🏼
    Stats are facts 
  • Rio Adebisi another name linked elsewhere.
  • sam3110 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.
    In 91 apps he got 13 assists according to his stats , and 136 apps with 21 goals that not a player who going to get you promoted … not consistent enough .. you can’t carry a player who may have a brilliant 5 min spell in a game .. 
    Our highest assist maker and second top scorer this season, and therefore after May is our highest contributor to goals.

Stats are facts 
    🤡
  • sam3110 said:
    jondon76 said:

Stats are facts 
    "There are lies, damned lies and there are statistics".  Mark Twain.  Stats are subjective and open to all sorts of (sometimes) twisted interpretation.  Only indicative not set in stone.
  • Rio Adebisi another name linked elsewhere.
    Third time lucky from Crewe?
  • jondon76 said:

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Dobbo is a tricky one. Having the most tackles in the league is a false positive because half the time he's making them because he lost the ball or he's 30 yards out of position to make the tackle. Great when he connects but awful when he misses it. 

He's had to play with some right dross for us, so does he deserve to show his merit in a team with better players? Yes. But does he deserve a significant pay rise to do so? Not in my opinion 
    Or maybe he makes the most tackles because he's very good at it and he's often the only fecking midfielder or forward willing and able to chase down players and put a tackle in.

So many games he's been doing the work of two or more players so yes, sometimes he gets there late but at least he gets there.

I think some people are being too quick to

1. Decide that the new signings are better and/or more reliable (Dobson has a very good injury and suspension record) and

2. Not seeing that having the likes of Backinson and Coventry alongside him makes Dobson a more valuable asset to the team, not necessarily surplus to requirements.

This happens every window.  So many were so pleased (not me) to see the back of Morgan as we were bound to get better but we didn't and the player who was "limited" and would "struggle to get a league 2 gig" is doing well in a side not only above us but actually challenging for promotion, unlike his former team.

Agree with absolutely everything you have said here.

I have lost track of how many players described as 'rubbish' somehow end up playing in higher divisions or at a higher level whilst we languish around in League One in an infinite loop.

It's clear to everyone that we need to improve the squad if we want a chance of getting promoted any time soon but improving the squad doesn't mean ripping it up and starting again
    And I agree with everything YOU said here.

• I don't mind Reading, but we need to be in the mix here. Some real gems at Reading despite their league position 
    Vickers and Holmes are the pick for me but both will end much higher up the pyramid as will Abbey I reckon.

For me it's Lewis Wing, Azeez, Sam Smith and Knibbs. 

All the more realistic ones and would improve us. I think the rest will have championship interest at least unfortunately 
  • fenaddick said:
    Stockton isn't what we need. Yes he's a big lump but I think people are conned into rating him because he usually performs at The Valley. Technically he's nothing special and he's used to being the big fish which he won't be here
    He doesn't just perform at the Valley, he was wanted by Bolton and Derby but were both put off by Morecambes high asking price. Probably the best striker in the league in the 21/22 season and if he got his move to Bolton or Derby for 22/23, I think he would have picked up where he left off. 

https://youtu.be/Ad-L0AgfMwQ?feature=shared

I can't remember a single striker performing as well as him in recent seasons, links the play, great shooting range, no slouch.

As a punt to see if he could do a job, we could do a lot worse. Much better player than Tedic and we gave him a chance.

It's also a bit of myth that he's a big lump. He plays with the ball at his feet and holds it. Links up the play really well, not the type you lump it long to and he will win it like Aneke, but rather you give him the ball and he'll probably keep it or get a shot off. 
    But it’s clear he’s not that player anymore, been crap at burton, he’s 29 years old with no resale value. Unlike May and JCH he has only had one decent season. 

There’s a reason the bigger clubs in the division didn’t sign him. 

He’s an average lower League striker, who has had essentially one outstanding season, it happens.
    Which is good,  as we are an average lower League team. 

• I don't mind Reading, but we need to be in the mix here. Some real gems at Reading despite their league position 
    Vickers and Holmes are the pick for me but both will end much higher up the pyramid as will Abbey I reckon.

For me it's Lewis Wing, Azeez, Sam Smith and Knibbs. 

All the more realistic ones and would improve us. I think the rest will have championship interest at least unfortunately 
    Lewis Wing would be good. Definitely crying out for an attacking midfielder that can score goals.
  • nagAddick said:
    Rumour on ittv that we have put a bid in for Cheltenham striker Will Goodwin 
    If true you’d hope they will ask Alfie for his opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• nagAddick said:
    If true you’d hope they will ask Alfie for his opinion.
    Maybe they have
  • We need a Good win 
  • Sounds like we're targeting younger strikers in the league below or lower League 1 in the hope they improve and have a decent sell on value if they do
  • edited January 14
    nagAddick said:
    Might suggest we’re after two strikers, something I think was also rumoured on ITTV. You don’t go from aiming for JCH to a young striker without a good goalscoring record when there will be plenty of options in between.
  • Goodwin impressed me in that match at the Valley a couple of months ago. Wouldn’t say no to that as a physical option up front.
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    So he insisted on starting Fraser ahead of Watson time and time again, but now says he's not fast or energetic enough and can leave.
    Perhaps he saw him as one of our better players and wanted to give him a run of games to show it? Now MA has seen he’s not up to it?
    This is what I was thinking.
    How do you personally form an opinion/know if they are good enough if you don't give them a run of games?
  • edited January 14
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    So he insisted on starting Fraser ahead of Watson time and time again, but now says he's not fast or energetic enough and can leave.
    Perhaps he saw him as one of our better players and wanted to give him a run of games to show it? Now MA has seen he’s not up to it?
    This is what I was thinking.
    How do you personally form an opinion/know if they are good enough if you don't give them a run of games?
    If the resulting opinion is that he's not fast enough and lacks energy, you could probably get that from training. 

And even if Apples did want to see what Fraser is about, surely he should have been prioritising points and performances. Did he need to continue playing him over Watson when we could all see he wasn't up to it?
  • Rumour on the other forum that we're after Holmes
    Sherlock, or Ricky?
  • edited January 14
    Chunes said:
    I think Dobbo is going to prove a lot of people wrong with what he goes on to do. Fingers are rightly being pointed everywhere at the moment but the guy who has at times held the team together by himself for the past few years isn't the one. 
    I hope you’re right, he deserves that opportunity. 

I think he’s in a difficult place because he rightly feels that his efforts have been worth more than the contract offer that he’s got on the table. Meanwhile there doesn’t seem to be any other club out there prepared to make an offer for him that matches or betters it.
    What's this based on...?
  • Unless I missed it, no-one has actually been linked to Dobson yet, unlike CBT. Obviously it's entirely possible that he has been approached and we just didn't hear about it but taken at face value it suggests he's not in such high demand. 

For what it's worth I want him to stay on if possible but if his wage demands can't be met then we move on and he goes to someone who can meet his expectations.

As it stands he is one of our better players, arguably the best. I don't deny that. But in an ideal world we shouldn't need a midfielder whose main job is to tackle everyone, and all the while he's here we're tying the whole teams' approach to him IMO.