Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• TEL said:
    Absurd these negative comments about Dobson. How fickle this fan base is these days. 

First name on the team sheet as far as I'm concerned. 

Hope he stays for years to come. 
    I agree. But he is out of form and it's good that he now has competition.

my only gripe is that he sits so deep. When we play it out from the back, he is generally level or two yards in front of the defenders. Coventry looked more advanced. 

Is dropping back so deep his natural game or is he being told to do it?
  • TEL said:
    Absurd these negative comments about Dobson. How fickle this fan base is these days. 

my only gripe is that he sits so deep. When we play it out from the back, he is generally level or two yards in front of the defenders. Coventry looked more advanced. 

Is he that out of form? Didn’t have the best game on Saturday but I thought Oxford at home was one of his best games this season and that was only 2 games ago. Oxford fans were all very complimentary about him 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 15

• What would he get out of moving to Hungary? Unless we are offering him peanuts I just don't get that move. Club captain at a team close to home with the potential to go up next season. Doesn't make sense to me
  • Might be jumping to conclusion but would expect Ferencevaros to be one of the few clubs willing to pay wages high enough for Dobson. I went there for a game a couple of years ago and the entire crowd were doing Nazi salutes ffs, I hope he doesn't go.
  • edited January 15
    TEL said:

Think he’d benefit from playing in midfield with Bakinson, Coventry, Fiorelli and/or Camara. Rotating those five would be ideal - although of course this is on the assumption that the new signings turn out to be what we hoped for. 
    No way will he go to Eastern Europe. 
  • Smells of agent talk to me, I can't see Dobbo taking his Mrs and newborn to Hungary, especially as realistically the difference in wages cant be huge.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Dobson gets dropped for a few players that have a combined 100 minutes or so for Charlton. 

A better manager would make sure he's in the team, he's undoubtedly one of our better players and should be part of our rebuild. 

If you're of the view he's leaving so you'd want to see what else we have to offer then fair enough, but if he stays put (I really, really hope so) he is without a doubt one of the first names on the sheet.
    I don’t think any player has a right to be picked ahead of better players. He’s been our lynchpin for ages, and earlier in the season he was unbelievable, but if he ends up on the bench because we have better, then that can only benefit the club. 
    I just think sometimes on here we can jump the gun a tad.

I think back to the Michael Morrison situation, he was quickly moved from the team by Bikey and Ben Haim, Morrison was a mainstay of our team. A lot of people were saying that we had moved on from Morrison etc. 

Fast forward, both Bikey and Ben Haim aren't at the club, we get relegated, Morrison goes on to be a mainstay at Reading and Birmingham in the championship as captain for both? 

It would be insane to suggest 3 players who we have barely seen feature could dislodge our captain and player of the season imho. He's guilty of being surrounded by pants players, if he had more quality around him I would be willing to bet you wouldn't see his erratic challenges as much. 

Him and Coventry (I think) would be two great players for a promotion chasing side in this league. We just need better players around them now 
    I think a fairer comparison would be Jose Semedo. Fan favourite, played the same position, crunched some tackles and won player of the year.

He left on a free, some thought it was a disaster at the time because we didn’t pay him what he wanted. We moved on to bigger and better things, and he got a move to Sheffield where things also worked out nicely for him.

It’s all about where you’d peg him in the “8-8-8” make up of a promotion winning side. I know a lot here would put him in the elite 8 but I wouldn’t because I don’t see him fitting the two key requirements of that group:

- I don’t think George Dobson walks into Bolton, Peterborough, Portsmouth or Oxford’s midfield
    - I don’t think George Dobson is capable of being a dependable (or better) Championship calibre midfielder

Happy for others to disagree but that’s where I’d place him. And therefore you can’t go breaking the wage structure you’re trying to impose because you think he’s been really good and he deserves it - that’s how you end up with situations like Aneke’s deal hanging around our necks.

Maybe but same could be said about JCH and no way we were paying money for him to be in the middle group. Yet can't get in Peterboroughs first team, don't think he would Bolton's and has never proved it in the Champ despite playing there before.
  • What would he get out of moving to Hungary? Unless we are offering him peanuts I just don't get that move. Club captain at a team close to home with the potential to go up next season. Doesn't make sense to me
    Isn't he become a dad last year. Would Mrs D want to move with a new born to Hungry!
  • Can there be a separate Dobbo thread started so we can stick to transfer rumours on this one please? 
    As per Appleton's quotes (https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/id-like-one-more-michael-appleton-on-if-charlton-can-dip-into-transfer-market-following-michael-hector-injury/) it looks like one or more forwards are the priority and we're open to another CB but not a current priority.

I would assume/hope that full backs and a keeper are probably going to be addressed in summer instead.
  • thenewbie said:
    Can there be a separate Dobbo thread started so we can stick to transfer rumours on this one please? 
    As per Appleton's quotes (https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/id-like-one-more-michael-appleton-on-if-charlton-can-dip-into-transfer-market-following-michael-hector-injury/) it looks like one or more forwards are the priority and we're open to another CB but not a current priority.

I would assume/hope that full backs and a keeper are probably going to be addressed in summer instead.
    I wouldn't really think a keeper is anywhere near priority, AMB has shown real quality of late. 

A right wing back or someone similar to sess who could play both right and left should definitely be looked into though. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Can there be a separate Dobbo thread started so we can stick to transfer rumours on this one please? 

I wonder if anything changes if they unload a couple of players soon. If Fraser was to depart, some cash would be freed up, you’d assume, depending on the deal?
  • Swisdom said:
    For me, Dobson is hugely important to the team and the fanbase.  He's a proper Charlton player - not loads of flair just a hard-working, likeable and good honest professional.  He's carved out a niche in our midfield by virtue of being so consistent.

That's not to say he hasn't improved as a player too.  He WAS just a good tackler but his passing and moving have improved vastly and his driven/drilled passes are impressive.

I think he deserves to play in a side where he is supported in the middle as opposed to being the entire midfield all by himself - then see if we can get more from him

I'll admit - Coventry looked to be a good acquisition as did Fiorini.  Bakinson also impressed.  There is a growing trend in football lately to play a "Box" midfield - that's 4 central midfielders with 2 offensive and 2 defensive-minded.  That could work if the wing backs are able to cover the wide areas and the 2 defensive midfielders know when to drop in to the back line.  

I think Dobbo is happy here and rumours are he's sacked his agent as he kept trying to get him to move - presumably for some extra money.  I'd like to think Dobbo will sign on and stick around.  Whilst he may not be the first name on the team sheet going forward - he's a great option to have there.  
    agreed
  • Swisdom said:
    For me, Dobson is hugely important to the team and the fanbase.  He's a proper Charlton player - not loads of flair just a hard-working, likeable and good honest professional.  He's carved out a niche in our midfield by virtue of being so consistent.

That's not to say he hasn't improved as a player too.  He WAS just a good tackler but his passing and moving have improved vastly and his driven/drilled passes are impressive.

I think he deserves to play in a side where he is supported in the middle as opposed to being the entire midfield all by himself - then see if we can get more from him

I'll admit - Coventry looked to be a good acquisition as did Fiorini.  Bakinson also impressed.  There is a growing trend in football lately to play a "Box" midfield - that's 4 central midfielders with 2 offensive and 2 defensive-minded.  That could work if the wing backs are able to cover the wide areas and the 2 defensive midfielders know when to drop in to the back line.  

I think Dobbo is happy here and rumours are he's sacked his agent as he kept trying to get him to move - presumably for some extra money.  I'd like to think Dobbo will sign on and stick around.  Whilst he may not be the first name on the team sheet going forward - he's a great option to have there.  
    We did try that box midfield but it didn’t really work on Saturday. I think in future, we would need May as one of the 10s and a striker ahead of him 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Dobson gets dropped for a few players that have a combined 100 minutes or so for Charlton. 

A better manager would make sure he's in the team, he's undoubtedly one of our better players and should be part of our rebuild. 

If you're of the view he's leaving so you'd want to see what else we have to offer then fair enough, but if he stays put (I really, really hope so) he is without a doubt one of the first names on the sheet.
    I don’t think any player has a right to be picked ahead of better players. He’s been our lynchpin for ages, and earlier in the season he was unbelievable, but if he ends up on the bench because we have better, then that can only benefit the club. 
    I just think sometimes on here we can jump the gun a tad.

I think back to the Michael Morrison situation, he was quickly moved from the team by Bikey and Ben Haim, Morrison was a mainstay of our team. A lot of people were saying that we had moved on from Morrison etc. 

Fast forward, both Bikey and Ben Haim aren't at the club, we get relegated, Morrison goes on to be a mainstay at Reading and Birmingham in the championship as captain for both? 

It would be insane to suggest 3 players who we have barely seen feature could dislodge our captain and player of the season imho. He's guilty of being surrounded by pants players, if he had more quality around him I would be willing to bet you wouldn't see his erratic challenges as much. 

Him and Coventry (I think) would be two great players for a promotion chasing side in this league. We just need better players around them now 
    All fair points, but somewhat irrelevant if doesn’t want to stay.