Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Macaulay and Coventry is a good start but you'd think we've bought in 5-6 top class players the way some are taking,sure let Dobson and CBT go if we actually replace them just seems like a load of hot air and director mouthpieces wanting to balance the books.
  • I’d like Dobson to stay but think the increase to £6.5k a week is fair (not convinced we should go higher as he is replaceable - hence Conor Coventry).

I think he’ll struggle to get more than that.
    I don’t think it’s the wages it’s the 3 year contract he wants
    That’s correct .. his dad said the same it’s not the money he would play for the sane money cause he loves the club it’s the structure of the 3 year deal 
  • If Stockton isn't a one season wonder, he's almost certainly a one club wonder
  • edited January 14
    Dobbo is a tricky one. Having the most tackles in the league is a false positive because half the time he's making them because he lost the ball or he's 30 yards out of position to make the tackle. Great when he connects but awful when he misses it. 

He's had to play with some right dross for us, so does he deserve to show his merit in a team with better players? Yes. But does he deserve a significant pay rise to do so? Not in my opinion 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Desperately need wingers and pace 
    Not if we play 352 which is what looked strong yesterday. Striker , centre back and couple of wing backs and it’s been a good window. If Dobson and CBT go then just make sure we reinvest whatever we get.
  • What with Hector’s injury, 10 weeks out, that takes him into March. Might not see him in a Charlton shirt again. Can’t see him getting another contract for next season. 
  • jondon76 said:
    Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.
    In 91 apps he got 13 assists according to his stats , and 136 apps with 21 goals that not a player who going to get you promoted … not consistent enough .. you can’t carry a player who may have a brilliant 5 min spell in a game .. 
    Let's see how we do without him, good start yesterday weren't it ? A brilliant 5 min spell might just of helped us.
  • ross1 said:
    I must change pubs I go to, and change my friends, because I never meet or know a friend of a friend, who knows how much players get paid, how much they have been offered in a new contract. Can someone tell me where to go to meet people who will keep me informed. Thank you 🥴
    Just pm RonnieMoore 
    He knows everything. 
    Or nothing 
  • jondon76 said:
    Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.
    In 91 apps he got 13 assists according to his stats , and 136 apps with 21 goals that not a player who going to get you promoted … not consistent enough .. you can’t carry a player who may have a brilliant 5 min spell in a game .. 
    Also interesting that he's managed to play both 91 games and 136 games for us, you utter 🤡
  • supaclive said:
    George Dobson our own runaway player of the year 2 years in a row (last year's winner was a Palace player so he doesn't count) - isn't good enough to keep and expect to play 30+ games a year?   Mental....

George Dobson MOST tackles in League 1 three years in a row and this year most dribbles (last time I checked), who plays every week, week in week out whilst all around him flounder and stink the place up... isn't good enough for us?

Building a team around George Dobson properly (he's 26 by the way) and complementing him with the likes of Coventry and other permanent signings would be a very good idea.

Maybe because @DubaiCAFC and @Callumcafc watch on a stream most of the time, they don't see in the actual flesh, at the ground, the amount of work Dobson does and how many players he tries to cover for?

I don't know.   We have a lot of problems.   Dobson really isn't one of them.   He really isn't.   Not undroppable and may well end up not our best player, but he has been, continuously, for three years now.
    Not this old chestnut again…

@L0rd_M0ntagu3 has it spot on. He flies into tackles and sprays the odd long ball and we love it. Our fans are rarely watching defensive midfielders for their positional awareness and leadership abilities so those deficiencies often goes unnoticed until it all comes to a head like it has in the past couple of months.

If you go back and look at some of the Sunderland comments from the time he left them, a lot said he was a trier but that isn’t good enough for a club that’s aiming higher than League One. They aren’t wrong about the first bit…

People are clinging on to third tier quality players that are not the answer long term and it surprises me I suppose.
    Dobson is not the same player that left Sunderland. He has improved a lot in his range of passing, carrying of the ball, possession in tight spaces, ability to receive the ball on the turn, and has even been adding long range shooting to his game this season. He most definitely a lot more than just a trier.

Clinging onto players would be still advocating for someone like Fraser. But, when you’re rebuilding, you don’t have to get rid of every single player from the old squad. Some are good enough to come with you on the next leg of the journey. E.g. Jackson in the Parkinson to Powell transition. Pearce in the Robinson to Bowyer transition.

If he still had a few years left and the club were actively trying to sell him, I'd agree with you. But that's not the case - his contract is due to run out, he's been made what seems like a reasonable offer (if the figure is accurate) and it's on him to accept or decline.

There's a difference between getting rid and moving on - this is the latter. Like I said, if he does think that another club is going to offer him higher wages/longer contract then he needs to go and find it, but he might be in for a bit of a rude awakening. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:
    Personally I reckon Dobson should stay.
    With the (what seems like) better quality midfielders around him, he’ll have less pressure on him, and it will probably help him improve as a player.
    i hope dobbo stays and if we went 3 5 2 as we should, maybe dobbo could slot in as 1 of the 3 centre halfs? we will not be better off if he leaves 
  • How annoyed I will be if/when we lose CBT and Dobson will depend where they end up. 

When the likes of Swansea & Hull were rumoured to be interested in CBT then I agreed tough to compete but if he ends up at Derby then for me confirms we may have offered increased wage but not the going rate, still unwilling to spend the required amount.  

I will clap the current owners when they actually fund a promotion squad, not when they leak they are willing to. 

Actions not words, please prove me wrong as I want nothing more then to be completely wrong as literally the only thing I care about in this debate is our team no longer being a joke. 
  • Steven81 said:
    Macaulay and Coventry is a good start but you'd think we've bought in 5-6 top class players the way some are taking,sure let Dobson and CBT go if we actually replace them just seems like a load of hot air and director mouthpieces wanting to balance the books.

Bakinson yesterday looked an upgrade on any CM performance I've seen this year. Fiorini is a bit of an unknown as he didn't really get any time yesterday to do anything, but to pretend the window *so far* isn't a success is wrong. If I had to trade Dobbo and CBT with <6m on their contracts for Coventry and Gillesphey on permenant deals plus an improvement on loans, I'd take that any day.

• I don't mind Reading, but we need to be in the mix here. Some real gems at Reading despite their league position 
    Vickers and Holmes are the pick for me but both will end much higher up the pyramid as will Abbey I reckon.

• Vfrf said:
    Steven81 said:
    Macaulay and Coventry is a good start but you'd think we've bought in 5-6 top class players the way some are taking,sure let Dobson and CBT go if we actually replace them just seems like a load of hot air and director mouthpieces wanting to balance the books.

Bakinson yesterday looked an upgrade on any CM performance I've seen this year. Fiorini is a bit of an unknown as he didn't really get any time yesterday to do anything, but to pretend the window *so far* isn't a success is wrong. If I had to trade Dobbo and CBT with <6m on their contracts for Coventry and Gillesphey on permenant deals plus an improvement on loans, I'd take that any day.
    Agree on Bakinson, I found him very impressive. Looked a bit rusty on the ball, reminded me of Pratley, puts himself about, late runs into the box and physical. Most pleasing was that both Bakinson and Coventry actually wanted the ball. For too long we've had midfielders who don't want to get on the ball, pointing to others when the CB's have the ball. And that's not just this year, it's been going on for multiple seasons.

• Striker, winger and CB would be nice in next 2 weeks