Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 14
    JamesSeed said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Nixon saying we're in for cole stockton 
    Would rather this than another Tedic on loan.

Straight swop deal for Terrell Thomas who they were after last season.
    Nooooooo. TT was very good yesterday, and is normally pretty steady, especially in his favoured CB role. It does no harm to have a versatile left sided player like him on the bench. Not first choice, but on the bench is fine. Ness is still young and maybe not ready for the level required for a promotion push. Not yet at least. 
    If you want to bring in another CB it can’t be a bit of a punt, it would need to be someone proven and ready to go. 
    The big problem with the above is that Thomas isn’t a left sided player.

Some fans think he is because that is where we have forced him to play in the absence of left footed defenders. In reality he is a right footed CB that doesn’t naturally suit LCB.

When Gillesphey plays you’ll see a big difference in balance across the back line with Gillesphey able to distribute and support Edun far better.
  • One more signing  :D

And the other 6. 
  • sam3110 said:
    There's about a dozen strikers I'd rather have than Stockton
    I’d expect we are getting quite far down our list if he does come in.

• Appleton confirms he'd like one more centre back but can't be greedy, and the current focus is further up the pitch 
  • If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

I don't know if Chem can be sent back, but he looks pretty surplus now, and it would free a space.
  • If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

I don't know if Chem can be sent back, but he looks pretty surplus now, and it would free a space.
    Indeed, I think Kanu is more than good enough for 4th choice - but with Leaburn out and Aneke basically not worth planning around being an option we need 2 more in for that to happen.
  • edited January 14
    Just one more we truly are in a mess then.
  • fenaddick said:
    Stockton isn't what we need. Yes he's a big lump but I think people are conned into rating him because he usually performs at The Valley. Technically he's nothing special and he's used to being the big fish which he won't be here
    He doesn't just perform at the Valley, he was wanted by Bolton and Derby but were both put off by Morecambes high asking price. Probably the best striker in the league in the 21/22 season and if he got his move to Bolton or Derby for 22/23, I think he would have picked up where he left off. 

https://youtu.be/Ad-L0AgfMwQ?feature=shared

I can't remember a single striker performing as well as him in recent seasons, links the play, great shooting range, no slouch.

As a punt to see if he could do a job, we could do a lot worse. Much better player than Tedic and we gave him a chance.

It's also a bit of myth that he's a big lump. He plays with the ball at his feet and holds it. Links up the play really well, not the type you lump it long to and he will win it like Aneke, but rather you give him the ball and he'll probably keep it or get a shot off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Stockton isn't what we need. Yes he's a big lump but I think people are conned into rating him because he usually performs at The Valley. Technically he's nothing special and he's used to being the big fish which he won't be here
    He doesn't just perform at the Valley, he was wanted by Bolton and Derby but were both put off by Morecambes high asking price. Probably the best striker in the league in the 21/22 season and if he got his move to Bolton or Derby for 22/23, I think he would have picked up where he left off. 

I can't remember a single striker performing as well as him in recent seasons, links the play, great shooting range, no slouch.

As a punt to see if he could do a job, we could do a lot worse. Much better player than Tedic and we gave him a chance.

It's also a bit of myth that he's a big lump. He plays with the ball at his feet and holds it. Links up the play really well, not the type you lump it long to and he will win it like Aneke, but rather you give him the ball and he'll probably keep it or get a shot off. 
    But it’s clear he’s not that player anymore, been crap at burton, he’s 29 years old with no resale value. Unlike May and JCH he has only had one decent season. 

There’s a reason the bigger clubs in the division didn’t sign him. 

He did well for Morecambe back end of the season and then got a move to Burton which was surprising as he had other suitors.

Think he got injured and struggled to break in, a play doesn't just drop off that quickly.

The only reason he didn't move to a bigger club was the asking price, it happens.

I just want us out of this league for now, not bothered about sell on value. I'd say he's definitely worth a short term punt with a view to a bigger move. 

It could be a flop but that's the nature of football. It's still a low risk high reward potential signing
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Not convinced about Stockton. Hasn't worked for him at Burton at all. I don't want to be left in another Tedic situation of course but I'd be seeing what's possible with Ladapo and Humphreys before looking at Stockton. 
    Until next Saturday he always scores world beaters against us 
  • fenaddick said:

But it’s clear he’s not that player anymore, been crap at burton, he’s 29 years old with no resale value. Unlike May and JCH he has only had one decent season. 

He did well for Morecambe back end of the season and then got a move to Burton which was surprising as he had other suitors.

Think he got injured and struggled to break in, a play doesn't just drop off that quickly.

The only reason he didn't move to a bigger club was the asking price, it happens.

I just want us out of this league for now, not bothered about sell on value. I'd say he's definitely worth a short term punt with a view to a bigger move. 

It could be a flop but that's the nature of football. It's still a low risk high reward potential signing
    If that’s the case why not just bring in a loan player till the end of the season? Even less risk with that. 

I see what you’re getting at but I don’t think it’s the sort of signing that should be made if we are being ambitious. 

• One more signing  :D

And the other 6. 
    He was taking about CB …. there be another striker then it will be about the injures and if anyone leaves 
  • fenaddick said:

You really think he’s performed better than Alfie May or Dion Charles? He won’t be cheap considering he only signed in the summer and he’s not scored in the league and isn’t starting. I know we’re desperate for a striker but are we so desperate we want someone who isn’t Burton’s first choice striker and has only had 1 20+ goal season?
  • Burton must have a tiny budget so suspect Stockton was a fair commitment for them. Not surprised they’ll want to offload if it’s not working out there 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 14
    If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

Indeed, I think Kanu is more than good enough for 4th choice - but with Leaburn out and Aneke basically not worth planning around being an option we need 2 more in for that to happen.
    But what chance does Kanu have to develop if he's sat being fourth choice? He should be playing regularly out on loan 
  • Croydon said:
    If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

But what chance does Kanu have to develop if he's sat being fourth choice? He should be playing regularly out on loan 
    I do get your point, but kinda what Ronnie said in as much as we had to recall him when playing a system with 1 up top, so if we move to a 2, I imagine he will get his chance.

If we do go 2 up top, then who else would you want to be our 4th choice? Cant trust it to be Aneke even if you manage his minutes, and no point in wasting a loan spot for that either. 
  • edited January 14
    fenaddick said:

If that’s the case why not just bring in a loan player till the end of the season? Even less risk with that. 

I see what you’re getting at but I don’t think it’s the sort of signing that should be made if we are being ambitious. 

Because Burton may be trying to offload and if he performs well it could work in our favour, with a loan from another club they may just be sending them out to improve.

That's fair enough, I understand why you think that, I'm just an admirer of the player and have wanted to see him at Charlton for a few seasons now. On his day a match winner.

fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

You really think he’s performed better than Alfie May or Dion Charles? He won’t be cheap considering he only signed in the summer and he’s not scored in the league and isn’t starting. I know we’re desperate for a striker but are we so desperate we want someone who isn’t Burton’s first choice striker and has only had 1 20+ goal season?
    I truly believe there hasn't been a better performance by a striker at the Valley in league 1 in recent seasons yes, particularly the first time. 

I rate May and Charles above Stockton but they are different types of forwards as well, they'd both suit playing with Stockton.

In regards to him not doing it at Burton, that doesn't bother  me as much. Their fans have said he's struggled for a few reasons, Albie wasn't wanted here, goes to Blackburn and now he's turned out well. He has a history of performing in this league, if we can get that version it's a no brainer. 

Him almost being 30 is also a benefit imo, we need more experienced heads in the side and the likes of him and JCH would be good mentor's for Kanu who looks promising but has a lot to learn still.