Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Steven81 said:
    Love how Dobson goes from being our best midfielder to now can't even get in the team,granted Coventry will probably be better than him but I don't see how it demotes Dobson to not even partnering him.
    If he’s happy to stay and be back up/alternative to Coventry then by all means I’d love him to stay.

I think some are letting sentiment get in the way of making the right decisions for the health of our football team. 

Dobson being our best midfielder wasn’t an indicator of Dobson being a brilliant player, it was an indicator of how god awful our midfield has been for the last 2-3 years.
    How about we pick both of our best 2 midfielders? Why does one have to be left out 
    I don’t thinks as simple as that if they both occupy the same position and role in midfield.

Depends on how Apples wants to set up the midfield 3 and want he wants those players to achieve. 

• edited January 14
    NabySarr said:
    Steven81 said:
    Love how Dobson goes from being our best midfielder to now can't even get in the team,granted Coventry will probably be better than him but I don't see how it demotes Dobson to not even partnering him.
    If he’s happy to stay and be back up/alternative to Coventry then by all means I’d love him to stay.

I think some are letting sentiment get in the way of making the right decisions for the health of our football team. 

Dobson being our best midfielder wasn’t an indicator of Dobson being a brilliant player, it was an indicator of how god awful our midfield has been for the last 2-3 years.
    How about we pick both of our best 2 midfielders? Why does one have to be left out 
    If that’s what you’d do as manger fair enough but I’m quite certain he’s going to drop down the pecking order behind Coventry, Fiorini, Bakinson and Camara in the coming weeks.
  • edited January 14
    Chunes said:
    I think Dobbo is going to prove a lot of people wrong with what he goes on to do. Fingers are rightly being pointed everywhere at the moment but the guy who has at times held the team together by himself for the past few years isn't the one. 
    I hope you’re right, he deserves that opportunity. 

I think he’s in a difficult place because he rightly feels that his efforts have been worth more than the contract offer that he’s got on the table. Meanwhile there doesn’t seem to be any other club out there prepared to make an offer for him that matches or betters it.
  • edited January 14
    If we’re going to play two upfront and Burton want Stockton off their payroll then we should put a low risk £50k offer in.

We could do with him in addition to Ladapo or Humphrys bearing in mind…

- we can’t rely on Aneke next season
    - I expect Leaburn to be sold next year
    - it would be nice to go one season without a striker crisis (we might make the playoffs next year if we do!)
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    seth plum said:
    If Dobbo goes, and eventually returns to play against us for somebody, I hope I won’t be the only fan to stand and give him heartfelt applause and welcome.

100% he has been great for us. But if we really want to get out of this league, we need better players.
    What???
    Do you mean better than Dobson, if so, that’s not being realistic?
    Well we signed Coventry, who is better than Dobson, so it is possible.

I don’t think it will be easy for us to sign someone else better. The fact we are offering Dobson a good contract would suggest we still want him here and in the starting 11 
  • NabySarr said:
    Steven81 said:

If that’s what you’d do as manger fair enough but I’m quite certain he’s going to drop down the pecking order behind Coventry, Fiorini, Bakinson and Camara in the coming weeks.
    If he doesn’t sign a new contract then yes you’d expect us to plan for life without him if we are clear of relegation. 

I doubt the club would be offering him 6.5k a week if they didn’t plan on him being a starter. If he stays I think him and Coventry can definitely play together in midfield, and given our defensive struggles, that’s probably what we need.
  • edited January 14
    £15k way too much. 

Time to move onto the next target.
    Only one poster has claimed that…..with all respect to him, I can’t take it as gospel at this stage.
  • NabySarr said:
    ZSoundAsa£ said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    seth plum said:
    If Dobbo goes, and eventually returns to play against us for somebody, I hope I won’t be the only fan to stand and give him heartfelt applause and welcome.

100% he has been great for us. But if we really want to get out of this league, we need better players.
    What???
    Do you mean better than Dobson, if so, that’s not being realistic?
    Well we signed Coventry, who is better than Dobson, so it is possible.

I don’t think it will be easy for us to sign someone else better. The fact we are offering Dobson a good contract would suggest we still want him here and in the starting 11 
    Agreed.😏
  • All indications are that CBT is in talks elsewhere…..we know there’s interest.
    However…..does anyone have more inside info at this stage?
    Ronnie Moore aside that is.
  • edited January 14
    I’d like Dobson to stay but think the increase to £6.5k a week is fair (not convinced we should go higher as he is replaceable - hence Conor Coventry).

I think he’ll struggle to get more than that.
  • I’d like Dobson to stay but think the increase to £6.5k a week is fair (not convinced we should go higher as he is replaceable - hence Conor Coventry).

I'm not sure how reliable this number (6.5k/week) is, or how much of an increase it would be on his present wage but it does sound a reasonable offer to me. I certainly wouldn't go any higher. 

If he genuinely thinks he can do better I'd say we should be telling him now "okay, then go and find it." He's popular with fans and he's very good at one specific thing but we shouldn't be making decisions on a sentimental basis or because the owners want the PR boost of "new contract for Dobbo."

Start planning for life without him (if we haven't already) and if he goes... so be it.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    I’d like Dobson to stay but think the increase to £6.5k a week is fair (not convinced we should go higher as he is replaceable - hence Conor Coventry).

I'm not sure how reliable this number (6.5k/week) is, or how much of an increase it would be on his present wage but it does sound a reasonable offer to me. I certainly wouldn't go any higher. 

If he genuinely thinks he can do better I'd say we should be telling him now "okay, then go and find it." He's popular with fans and he's very good at one specific thing but we shouldn't be making decisions on a sentimental basis or because the owners want the PR boost of "new contract for Dobbo."

Start planning for life without him (if we haven't already) and if he goes... so be it.
    Feels like yesterday that we kinda did when we subbed him when chasing a win. 
  • I’d like Dobson to stay but think the increase to £6.5k a week is fair (not convinced we should go higher as he is replaceable - hence Conor Coventry).

I don’t think it’s the wages it’s the 3 year contract he wants
  • Croydon said:
    If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

I don't know if Chem can be sent back, but he looks pretty surplus now, and it would free a space.
    Indeed, I think Kanu is more than good enough for 4th choice - but with Leaburn out and Aneke basically not worth planning around being an option we need 2 more in for that to happen.
    But what chance does Kanu have to develop if he's sat being fourth choice? He should be playing regularly out on loan 
    I do get your point, but kinda what Ronnie said in as much as we had to recall him when playing a system with 1 up top, so if we move to a 2, I imagine he will get his chance.

If we do go 2 up top, then who else would you want to be our 4th choice? Cant trust it to be Aneke even if you manage his minutes, and no point in wasting a loan spot for that either. 
    I get what you're saying. But I think at this stage of his career, playing regularly is more important than getting the odd chance here and there with us
  • supaclive said:
    George Dobson our own runaway player of the year 2 years in a row (last year's winner was a Palace player so he doesn't count) - isn't good enough to keep and expect to play 30+ games a year?   Mental....

George Dobson MOST tackles in League 1 three years in a row and this year most dribbles (last time I checked), who plays every week, week in week out whilst all around him flounder and stink the place up... isn't good enough for us?

Building a team around George Dobson properly (he's 26 by the way) and complementing him with the likes of Coventry and other permanent signings would be a very good idea.

Maybe because @DubaiCAFC and @Callumcafc watch on a stream most of the time, they don't see in the actual flesh, at the ground, the amount of work Dobson does and how many players he tries to cover for?

I don't know.   We have a lot of problems.   Dobson really isn't one of them.   He really isn't.   Not undroppable and may well end up not our best player, but he has been, continuously, for three years now.
    Not to have a pop at stream watchers, as I was one when I lived oop North for the better part of 4 or 5 years, and my stint in Essex, but the match day experience isn't the same and you don't notice players off the ball as your are at the mercy of the camera man.

Yesterday for the first time in God knows how long, probably covid? I watched the game online as I couldn't attend due to work. I didn't think it was that bad the game, enjoyed the tempo of the second half. 

Went on twitter and it was like we had been relegated, it was so negative. I understand why as when you go, you fork more cash, it's more effort etc, but my mood from going and watching online was vastly different when their winner went in. 
  • Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.
  • supaclive said:
    George Dobson our own runaway player of the year 2 years in a row (last year's winner was a Palace player so he doesn't count) - isn't good enough to keep and expect to play 30+ games a year?   Mental....

George Dobson MOST tackles in League 1 three years in a row and this year most dribbles (last time I checked), who plays every week, week in week out whilst all around him flounder and stink the place up... isn't good enough for us?

Building a team around George Dobson properly (he's 26 by the way) and complementing him with the likes of Coventry and other permanent signings would be a very good idea.

Maybe because @DubaiCAFC and @Callumcafc watch on a stream most of the time, they don't see in the actual flesh, at the ground, the amount of work Dobson does and how many players he tries to cover for?

I don't know.   We have a lot of problems.   Dobson really isn't one of them.   He really isn't.   Not undroppable and may well end up not our best player, but he has been, continuously, for three years now.
    Not this old chestnut again…

@L0rd_M0ntagu3 has it spot on. He flies into tackles and sprays the odd long ball and we love it. Our fans are rarely watching defensive midfielders for their positional awareness and leadership abilities so those deficiencies often goes unnoticed until it all comes to a head like it has in the past couple of months.

If you go back and look at some of the Sunderland comments from the time he left them, a lot said he was a trier but that isn’t good enough for a club that’s aiming higher than League One. They aren’t wrong about the first bit…

People are clinging on to third tier quality players that are not the answer long term and it surprises me I suppose.
  • edited January 14
    jondon76 said:
    Need a replacement for CBT and another wide player, had no outlet in the 1st half yesterday.CBT is going to be a big loss without him this season we'd probably be bottom 4.

Have you looked at the table lately...we are only 4 points off 20th place now, agree he would be a loss...