Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Honestly think this would be a mistake. Terrel Thomas isn’t great, but in a 3 at the back system he’s a lot better. And are you going to find a better player that’s happy to be a backup and on that wage? Seems like a good character behind the scenes also 
    Especially a mistake when you consider TT is 90 minutes good to go and some of our recent signings aren’t.

TT looked woeful when he was in for Edun but has looked okay at CB. Unless we have another permanent CB coming in who’s good to play 90 mins right away I’d keep TT until the end of the season.
    I think if he’s was really woeful when covering at LB there wouldn’t be such support for keeping him, as he’s played at left back so often. Would be interesting to know the ratio, but I’d guess he’s played 80% LB, 20% CB?
  • I remember his celebration against us. Very odd

Ran and cupped his ears to about 3 blokes with thermos flasks and blankets didn't he, thought at the time it was all a bit pathetic and assumed he must be a Palace or Millwall fan or something.
    Sounds like a proper sh*thouse. Exactly what we need!!! 
    Wave ya magic wand Andy 
  • NabySarr said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We have been paying 4-3-3 because we never had the squad to play 3-5-2.

Only really one fit striker, and CBT who can't play as a wing back and you would be a brave manager to drop him. Imagine the scenes if Apples did.

Furthermore Abrankwah who seemed to someone who should slot into that right side of a back 3 was not rated, and Ness had a poor pre-season wwhich only left us with Thomas to play 3 at the back.

What formation would you have played Golfie and why?
    We played 3-5-2 for the first 2 games and it worked fine with CBT at wing back, he was our best player. With Thomas LCB we just shifted into a back 4 at times and CBT didn’t have to do much defending. All we needed was a proper striker and we’d have been fine but Holden never got one. 

We shouldn’t have sacked Holden so soon, and then even after that, the new manager should have been continuing that plan rather than going with Appleton’s different approach. Scott and Appletons failure to realise this sooner is the reason our season is over 
    I agree, though I will admit to (very cautious) optimism that we seem to have learned from those mistakes and 3-5-2 appears to be a formation we are actually building towards instead of doubling down on the failed experiment (which I'm not denying has gone on for far too long already.)

I'm curious to know if Appleton has somehow had some sort of epiphany or whether someone has given him the ultimatum to either change formation or sling his hook.
  • Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Honestly think this would be a mistake. Terrel Thomas isn’t great, but in a 3 at the back system he’s a lot better. And are you going to find a better player that’s happy to be a backup and on that wage? Seems like a good character behind the scenes also 
    Depends who we bring in, he’s comfortably in that middle 8 group for me, unlikely to progress beyond L1. You need some players like that but maybe other clubs are willing to give him a longer contract and/or more game time than us.
    Keep him until the summer, he's steady & fairly dependable & can fit in when needed. Then he'll be out of contract & can hopefully get a decent contract at this level.
  • edited January 15
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    Especially a mistake when you consider TT is 90 minutes good to go and some of our recent signings aren’t.

TT looked woeful when he was in for Edun but has looked okay at CB. Unless we have another permanent CB coming in who’s good to play 90 mins right away I’d keep TT until the end of the season.
    I think if he’s was really woeful when covering at LB there wouldn’t be such support for keeping him, as he’s played at left back so often. Would be interesting to know the ratio, but I’d guess he’s played 80% LB, 20% CB?
    As I said if we can replace him with another perm CB who’s ready to play then let him go. Nobody wants to see him cover LB again but at present even if only 20% he’s playing alright as a CB which is where he’s playing right now.
  • Alfie must know Goodwin?? 
  • Alfie must know Goodwin?? 
    Yeah he was at Cheltenham last season but barely played. Seems he’s had a breakthrough this season, probably helped by May leaving.

It’s only half a season though, can only think we’re impressed by his all round game because his goalscoring record isn’t that impressive.

Only 21 so hopefully we’ve spotted someone with real potential and are getting in there early before he pushes on further.

It’s a gamble, but if we wait too long and he starts scoring regularly there could be interest from Championship clubs with bigger budgets. And if he’s not our only striker signing the pressure won’t be on him to make an immediate impact.
  • Scoham said:
    Alfie must know Goodwin?? 
    Yeah he was at Cheltenham last season but barely played. Seems he’s had a breakthrough this season, probably helped by May leaving.

It’s only half a season though, can only think we’re impressed by his all round game because his goalscoring record isn’t that impressive.

Only 21 so hopefully we’ve spotted someone with real potential and are getting in there early before he pushes on further.

It’s a gamble, but if we wait too long and he starts scoring regularly there could be interest from Championship clubs with bigger budgets. And if he’s not our only striker signing the pressure won’t be on him to make an immediate impact.
    Looks to have a good scoring record down the middle...
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We have been paying 4-3-3 because we never had the squad to play 3-5-2.

Only really one fit striker, and CBT who can't play as a wing back and you would be a brave manager to drop him. Imagine the scenes if Apples did.

Furthermore Abrankwah who seemed to someone who should slot into that right side of a back 3 was not rated, and Ness had a poor pre-season wwhich only left us with Thomas to play 3 at the back.

What formation would you have played Golfie and why?
    We played 3-5-2 for the first 2 games and it worked fine with CBT at wing back, he was our best player. With Thomas LCB we just shifted into a back 4 at times and CBT didn’t have to do much defending. All we needed was a proper striker and we’d have been fine but Holden never got one. 

We shouldn’t have sacked Holden so soon, and then even after that, the new manager should have been continuing that plan rather than going with Appleton’s different approach. Scott and Appletons failure to realise this sooner is the reason our season is over 
    I agree, though I will admit to (very cautious) optimism that we seem to have learned from those mistakes and 3-5-2 appears to be a formation we are actually building towards instead of doubling down on the failed experiment (which I'm not denying has gone on for far too long already.)

I'm curious to know if Appleton has somehow had some sort of epiphany or whether someone has given him the ultimatum to either change formation or sling his hook.
    This. I reckon the SMT have had a word and said change your ways or you're out. They have then backed their new system by bringing in players for him.
  • Scoham said:

I don't think he's the answer then. We already have Leaburn & Kanu as "break through" youngsters, we need an experienced striker to lead the line. 
  • Scoham said:

I don't think he's the answer then. We already have Leaburn & Kanu as "break through" youngsters, we need an experienced striker to lead the line. 
    I think the aim would be to go into next season with May, 2 new strikers, Leaburn and Aneke. So we are probably looking for a senior striker along with Goodwin. Kanu can then go out on loan which is what he needs 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

This season yes, previously very much not. The risk is there that he's in a purple patch that won't be repeated. That said he's a big lad and hopefully brings more than just goals.

Feels like if we can't get JCH then we're looking at getting someone who could become the next version... and honestly that is not a bad idea (if it works.)
  • So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    The new managers favoured formation is 3-5-2. 
  • edited January 15
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:

I think the aim would be to go into next season with May, 2 new strikers, Leaburn and Aneke. So we are probably looking for a senior striker along with Goodwin. Kanu can then go out on loan which is what he needs 
    My optimistic side says that with an improved midfield we’ll create more opportunities for the front men. This season we’ve seen players like Kanu, and sometimes even Leaburn, really struggling because of lack of service and poor support. Kanu looked pretty decent in the second half playing in a front two with an improved midfield. Goodwin, also, would have a better chance to thrive than he would have had earlier in the season. 
  • edited January 15
    thenewbie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

This season yes, previously very much not. The risk is there that he's in a purple patch that won't be repeated. That said he's a big lad and hopefully brings more than just goals.
    He's only 21 so makes sense why he wouldn't score loads in his first season. 

Either way, we don't need to him score as many as May (although would be a bonus), if he can hold the ball up then we'll already be looking much better. 
  • I wonder if in an ideal world it'll be Goodwin + Ladapo later in the window? Ladapo would allow us to still play a 433 if needed
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m certainly happy that Goodwin could be coming but surely he’s not going to be the senior striker we need. Hardly comparable to JCH. I think this is a buy in the full knowledge that if not the summer then next January Miles will be sold. Goodwin and Leaburn seem to me to be to be far more comparable. No idea and I doubt we’ll find out what we’ve bid for Goodwin but it might shine a light on what we might expect for Leaburn. I suspect not the gazillions that some people think he might be worth. 
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

He's only 21 so makes sense why he wouldn't score loads in his first season. 

Either way, we don't need to him score as many as Many (although would be a bonus), if he can hold the ball up then we'll already be looking much better. 
    Oh I agree, I'd prefer Goodwin over JCH personally but he's definitely a prospect rather than a finished product (which I have no issue with.)
  • I’m certainly happy that Goodwin could be coming but surely he’s not going to be the senior striker we need. Hardly comparable to JCH. I think this is a buy in the full knowledge that if not the summer then next January Miles will be sold. Goodwin and Leaburn seem to me to be to be far more comparable. No idea and I doubt we’ll find out what we’ve bid for Goodwin but it might shine a light on what we might expect for Leaburn. I suspect not the gazillions that some people think he might be worth. 
    Leaburn is at a much higher level than Goodwin at the moment, albeit with a question mark over his durability. I watch the EFL highlights show every week, and didn't recognise his name.

Which isn't to say he'd be a bad buy, but you couldn't imagine one of the teams chasing the automatics this season buying him to get them over the line this season.
  • thenewbie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Feels like if we can't get JCH then we're looking at getting someone who could become the next version... and honestly that is not a bad idea (if it works.)
    So apples will play him on the left and May on the right.
  • Stewart said:
    Didn’t Cheltenham start the season breaking records for not scoring? Now we are trying to buy there striker.
    Yeah, 11 games without scoring. But that’s like blaming every goal conceded on the keeper.
  • Scoham said:

I have no issue with him coming in if we also sign an experienced striker, I agree that’s the type of player we need.

We’re possibly planning ahead for him to step up even more if/when Leaburn is sold?