Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 15
    Perhaps the Goodwin signing is something akin to what Peterborough have been doing for years. 
    That's my hope - JCH is probably the better player right now but Goodwin will hopefully get better whereas JCH is likely to be on the decline.

It's a gamble but one I'd be okay taking, albeit ideal world I'd want a Ladapo type loan as well if I'm being greedy.
  • Valley11 said:
    Think I prefer Goodwin to JCH
    Potential and physical presence rather than a player on the way down who wants the £. 
    Both will do me just fine
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Alfie must know Goodwin?? 
    Yeah he was at Cheltenham last season but barely played. Seems he’s had a breakthrough this season, probably helped by May leaving.

It’s only half a season though, can only think we’re impressed by his all round game because his goalscoring record isn’t that impressive.

Only 21 so hopefully we’ve spotted someone with real potential and are getting in there early before he pushes on further.

It’s a gamble, but if we wait too long and he starts scoring regularly there could be interest from Championship clubs with bigger budgets. And if he’s not our only striker signing the pressure won’t be on him to make an immediate impact.
    I don't think he's the answer then. We already have Leaburn & Kanu as "break through" youngsters, we need an experienced striker to lead the line. 
    I think the aim would be to go into next season with May, 2 new strikers, Leaburn and Aneke. So we are probably looking for a senior striker along with Goodwin. Kanu can then go out on loan which is what he needs 

Unless he signs a new contract Kanu won't be here next season. Leaburn I fully expect we sell in the summer and Aneke is always injured. We need 2 new strikers alongside May now and may even need a 4th in the summer.
  • So the team playing out this season could look like:

Isted

Jones Ness MG

Watson Dobson Coventry Bakinson Tayo

May Goodwin

Be good to get another striker in who could cover for May, then let Kanu go back to Southend. 

• NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Yeah he was at Cheltenham last season but barely played. Seems he’s had a breakthrough this season, probably helped by May leaving.

It’s only half a season though, can only think we’re impressed by his all round game because his goalscoring record isn’t that impressive.

Only 21 so hopefully we’ve spotted someone with real potential and are getting in there early before he pushes on further.

It’s a gamble, but if we wait too long and he starts scoring regularly there could be interest from Championship clubs with bigger budgets. And if he’s not our only striker signing the pressure won’t be on him to make an immediate impact.
    I don't think he's the answer then. We already have Leaburn & Kanu as "break through" youngsters, we need an experienced striker to lead the line. 
    I think the aim would be to go into next season with May, 2 new strikers, Leaburn and Aneke. So we are probably looking for a senior striker along with Goodwin. Kanu can then go out on loan which is what he needs 

Unless he signs a new contract Kanu won't be here next season. Leaburn I fully expect we sell in the summer and Aneke is always injured. We need 2 new strikers alongside May now and may even need a 4th in the summer.
    I’d hope we can get Kanu on a new contract, and if we can’t get Leaburn on one then I’d hope we can get him on loan as part of any deal 
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if in an ideal world it'll be Goodwin + Ladapo later in the window? Ladapo would allow us to still play a 433 if needed
    Don’t rule out JCH on loan late in the window 
    Hilarious.
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:

Is Kanu out of contract in June then?
  • I wonder if in an ideal world it'll be Goodwin + Ladapo later in the window? Ladapo would allow us to still play a 433 if needed
    Hilarious.
    To be fair not an outrages comment. Unlikely but Peterborough will want something for him and a loan fee might be the best they can get. Did the same with maidson. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:

Is Kanu out of contract in June then?

Yes
    That’s attracted some lols but is it that crazy ? If JCH has decided to see out his contract which is looking the case then getting his wages off the books will look attractive to Peterborough won’t it ? Hes not currently starting games for them and they’ve planned for his departure. Short termism by Charlton though as I doubt we’d be able to secure him long term and this season is already over for us. Can’t see it happening but I don’t think it’s as crazy as it first seems.
  • edited January 15
    I wonder if in an ideal world it'll be Goodwin + Ladapo later in the window? Ladapo would allow us to still play a 433 if needed
    That’s attracted some lols but is it that crazy ? If JCH has decided to see out his contract which is looking the case then getting his wages off the books will look attractive to Peterborough won’t it ? Hes not currently starting games for them and they’ve planned for his departure. Short termism by Charlton though as I doubt we’d be able to secure him long term and this season is already over for us. Can’t see it happening but I don’t think it’s as crazy as it first seems.
    Sign the Cheltenham lad permanently as a longer term, lower cost investment planning for next season and sign an experienced target man like JCH on loan until the end of the season to cover for the absences of Leaburn and Aneke. Doesn't sound crazy to me. And we'd be potentially in a better position to sign JCH in the summer, if we still wanted him, when I think we are all anticipating Leaburn will leave.
  • Scott Twine has been recalled by Burnley, wonder if we stand a chance of getting him on loan... If you're still reading at this point... No... He's off to Bristol City to join previous Manager: Liam Manning when they were at MK Dons together ;)
  • fenaddick said:
    Certainly sounds like we've given up on JCH/showing him we won't just cave. Seems positive to me
    Good. He's apparently not keen on joining so it wouldn't fill me with any confidence that he'd be putting in maximum effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We played 352 in the second half not the first half .
    First half was 4321 with two number 10 second half we went 4132 
    😂😂😂 this is some serious nonsense 
    MA said “ first half we tired two number 10 Campbell and Campbell to link with May but they never really got the chance to stamp themselves on the game , second half we pushed midfield further up the park and added another striker “ 
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    So suddenly, after rigidly (and I mean RIGIDLY) playing 4-3-3 we are now switching to 3-5-2 at a drop of a hat......even though the first 45 mins on Saturday was dire. 

Epic.
    We have been paying 4-3-3 because we never had the squad to play 3-5-2.

Only really one fit striker, and CBT who can't play as a wing back and you would be a brave manager to drop him. Imagine the scenes if Apples did.

Furthermore Abrankwah who seemed to someone who should slot into that right side of a back 3 was not rated, and Ness had a poor pre-season wwhich only left us with Thomas to play 3 at the back.

What formation would you have played Golfie and why?
    We played 3-5-2 for the first 2 games and it worked fine with CBT at wing back, he was our best player. With Thomas LCB we just shifted into a back 4 at times and CBT didn’t have to do much defending. All we needed was a proper striker and we’d have been fine but Holden never got one. 

We shouldn’t have sacked Holden so soon, and then even after that, the new manager should have been continuing that plan rather than going with Appleton’s different approach. Scott and Appletons failure to realise this sooner is the reason our season is over 
    I agree, though I will admit to (very cautious) optimism that we seem to have learned from those mistakes and 3-5-2 appears to be a formation we are actually building towards instead of doubling down on the failed experiment (which I'm not denying has gone on for far too long already.)

I'm curious to know if Appleton has somehow had some sort of epiphany or whether someone has given him the ultimatum to either change formation or sling his hook.
    This. I reckon the SMT have had a word and said change your ways or you're out. They have then backed their new system by bringing in players for him.
    I think they’ve been discussing my message to Andy Scott on here and realised they can’t ignore it any longer 
  • Goodwin has 6 goals from 11 starts.
    0.49 goals per 90 mins, which is basically 1 goal per 2 games.
    It would put him @12th in the L1 table for goals per 90 mins.
    Alfie May is top. 
    Hilarious.
    Why … there talk of us bringing in a young striker and an experienced striker on loan .. why not JHC then he can have his move abroad in the summer after playing some games for us 
  • fenaddick said:
    Certainly sounds like we've given up on JCH/showing him we won't just cave. Seems positive to me
    Good. He's apparently not keen on joining so it wouldn't fill me with any confidence that he'd be putting in maximum effort.
    And this is why I don’t think a JCH loan to us is a starter (if ever it was). It could be another Lyle Taylor situation. Although for Peterborough it could work of course 
  • Stewart said:
    Didn’t Cheltenham start the season breaking records for not scoring? Now we are trying to buy there striker.
    Goodwin missed 10 out of the 11 games at the start of the season due to injury
    Ok that’s good to know. Thank you 
  • Goodwin has 6 goals from 11 starts.
    0.49 goals per 90 mins, which is basically 1 goal per 2 games.
    It would put him @12th in the L1 table for goals per 90 mins.
    Alfie May is top. 
    How many defensive headers has Will won? How many periods of play has he linked up by using his body to shield the ball? How many times have we threatened directly from set play?
    As we already have a goalscorer in Alfie, these are the questions I'd ask of his striker partner.
  • I remember his celebration against us. Very odd

Ran and cupped his ears to about 3 blokes with thermos flasks and blankets didn't he, thought at the time it was all a bit pathetic and assumed he must be a Palace or Millwall fan or something.
    Goodwill Goodwin

'It was smiles all round at the Valley today after Charlton new boy Will Goodwin bagged a neat hattrick on his home debut.

After securing the match ball the prolific target man sprinted across to the West Stand to celebrate....but not with his manager and the subs bench but with three unsuspecting addicks in tartan blankets.

Goodwin explained "I scored here before and these 3 blokes were giving it all game for no reason. I've played at the Den, Leeds and some proper grim places and am no shrinking violet...but the relentless filth these fellas came out with was beyond obscene and I lost faith in humanity a bit after 90 minutes of rabid abuse so was pleased to score and did a little cup to ear thing.

I think it's caught on cos the gaffer does it to the fans each week now. Anyway it's all forgotten and put to bed and that last goal was for them as a sort of no hard feelings thing".

The SLP caught up with the 3 geriatric die hards (seen here posing with Goodwin and his man of the match award in the Fans' Bar after Saturday's game).

Bert Guntridge, 84, from Bexley said "It's all a bit of pantomime fun and all in the past. I was frothing ovaltine at the ear cup but Will's a good lad now I've got to know him and I wish him the best for his time with us".

"Marjorie Grimbleworth, 77, from RoyalTunbridgeWells, said of the events "Well at the time of ear cup gate I shit my spleen (literally) and had to be held back by my husband and several stewards from climbing onto the pitch to put one on him. But all forgotten now and he signed my programme and looks the type who calls his mother regularly so I'm going to sponsor his shirt".

And finally the ringleader of the hooligan trio, Frederick Alwaysmoan, 82, from Erith quipped "He's shit. Fucking pony. Simon Church would've got 5 today. Fuck him. And fuck charlton. It's all shit. Pie was good today though , bit cold but good so pleased to see they're getting something right".

Read more about this story and the latest on the West Stand car park pot hole saga online.
    Superb