Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:
    New born baby and settled, no way is he moving to eastern Europe. 
    Could be agent talk to push Charlton into another offer.

Budapest is a beautiful city and a great place to bring up a family.
    I’d dispute that.
  • Does this whole JCH offer show we’re being a little naive in the transfer market. It looks from the outside an absolute cert JCH wouldn’t be signing for anybody this window. Why would he when a signing on fee and a possibility of much higher wages awaits him in the Summer. He may go out on loan for the rest of the season as Posh try and save some money on his wages. That won’t be us because we’ve nothing to play for apart from avoiding relegation.
  • PopIcon said:
    I'm not a contract expert. However, Peterborough risk losing him for nothing in the summer and Charlton want the player.
    Why not try and renegotiate? Posh get £350k and JCH gets a £150k signing fee. That's essentially an extra £2.8k p/w for the first year.
    Not with two weeks left of the window. Peterborough will stand firm a while yet.
    Stand firm and hope for what exactly? No club is going to better our offer as they already know what Peterborough accepted.
    Things change. Players get injured and players get sold who you hadn’t necessarily planned for losing. Two weeks could change requirements and priorities for any number of teams. I’m not saying another club will or won’t come in for JCH but they might and two weeks is a long time. Peterborough will want a sale so things might change with them also. 
  • edited January 16
    Shame we're not getting JCH but I have to say I'm finding it really funny how pissed off Peterborough are about the whole thing. They did all their 'we're not taking a small fee' posturing and now they're having a proper go at him in the media for not going while we're staying quiet about it. The best thing that could happen now is that he changes his mind at the end of the window and we leverage that to renegotiate the fee just to see if we can annoy them a bit more
    Yeah they're very good at holding on to players when it suits them for a decent fee

On the other hand they come across as bloody petulant (am sure a lot of clubs do) when a player wont get off their wage list... You notice on the other hand how we quietly we went about terminating Charlie Kirk's contract, rather than verbally trying to force him to move this month for example, different scenario I know though

They signed Ricky Miller from Dover a few years ago, which didnt work out, and they got really frustrated with him, when they kept failing to move him on

Ricky Miller: Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony urges striker to leave - BBC Sport
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:

I’d dispute that.
    Large parts of the city outskirts are like a Soviet era slum.
  • Bailey said:
    I'd rather we get a very decent loan centre forward/s in and revisit the market in the summer. Forget Goodwin and JCH, Cheltenham would be mad to let Goodwin go and JCH is looking to get a sky high wage in the autumn of his career. I can't knock either party in their stance but I'd rather Charlton were not held to ransom in this window, finding alternatives won't be easy though. 
    Yes, we'd be daft to buy a pig in a poke........ that's not unknown in Charlton history of course but the striker for the long term might not be gettable in this window. A loan would be a sensible stop gap.
    Perhaps later in January we'll be more attractive to a Championship striker looking for a loan to put him in the shop window. 
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:

I’d dispute that.
    Yes and that’s before we get to the football. The league is utter shite. He would be playing in front of three figure crowds away. More importantly match fixing is rife. That issue used to be problematic in Czech too, but its been cleaned up in recent years. But Viktor Orban is a football nut and results will go according to how he and Fidesz want them to. If its Ferencvaros he will get some European football. It will be the Conference and he will be playing in some shithole in Kazakhstan in July, or on the losing side in the Faeroes. The only British players who end up in leagues like this are cast-offs like Josh Parker.

I couldn’t open the article so I feared it was a Bundesliga 2 club, which would definitely be a step up for him, playing in front of 60k crowds in vibrant stadia. 

Hungary. LMAO. Anyone know who his agent is? 
  • Sponsored links:

• What a farce 
    All the loans have been a bit of a farce really. Which one has been a success?
  • edited January 16
    Peterborough are desperate for JCH to leave as they need the money hence Barry Frys comments with the new contract contract offer and the finances in football. The last thing that they want is their biggest earner sitting in the stands, and leaving at the end of the season for nothing, JCH is holding all the cards.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/peterborough-united-striker-turns-down-second-bid-from-charlton-athletic/

They're desperate for him to leave so they don't lose 500k, but they're not desperate for money.

They've already turned down bids of around 5m for Ronnie Edwards and they could sell him tomorrow if they were that desperate.
    Not mutually exclusive though. Not being skint and having to sell versus having an asset worth £500k that they can’t translate into cash and that £500k disappears down the plug hole in a few months. They’re desperate to shift him don’t worry about that.
  • Southbank said:
    Addick_8 said:

I’d dispute that.
    That's not where Dobbo would be. 
  • Think Peterborough will regret not taking the money for Ronnie Edwards. Been shite the 2 or 3 times i've seen him play
    I thought his partner Josh Knight stood out more on Saturday, certainly with the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oxford have offered more for Goodwin than us according to another forum.
  • Does this whole JCH offer show we’re being a little naive in the transfer market. It looks from the outside an absolute cert JCH wouldn’t be signing for anybody this window. Why would he when a signing on fee and a possibility of much higher wages awaits him in the Summer. He may go out on loan for the rest of the season as Posh try and save some money on his wages. That won’t be us because we’ve nothing to play for apart from avoiding relegation.
    Not really naivety from us. We made an offer, the club accepted but it was personal terms that were the issue. By most accounts it seems we've been fairly sensible and moved on to look for other options.

It was worth a go, didn't work, no harm done in trying. If we had panicked/caved and agreed to pay whatever wage he wanted, that would have been much more damaging.
  • Croydon said:
    If we are going to play 2 up front, then we need 4 strikers, so I'd like to bring 2 in this window, as you need at least 1 on the bench, even with injuries and suspensions. One "headline" perm, but also a loan backup player. 

I don't know if Chem can be sent back, but he looks pretty surplus now, and it would free a space.
    Indeed, I think Kanu is more than good enough for 4th choice - but with Leaburn out and Aneke basically not worth planning around being an option we need 2 more in for that to happen.
    But what chance does Kanu have to develop if he's sat being fourth choice? He should be playing regularly out on loan 

Kanu will be our number 3 striker for the rest of this season even if we bring one more striker in as I can't see Chuks or Miles playing much part.

Why let a goal scorer leave in Daniel ?
    If we lose CBT this window with his amount of goals and assists we will be bereft if Alfie suddenly goes through a barren spell.

Anderson sent out on loan possibly and T. Campbell if we bring in a Taylor/Grant type forward who can play central and wide in the same match ! Forwards who can move should be mandatory. 
  • edited January 16
    Exciting times ahead if Cafc get a crop of better midfielders than Dobson and a wide forward who scored and assists more than Corey Blackett-Taylor and goes past his man with ease in this division. 

Can we judged players on how they play for Cafc as Kirk was really talked up by a couple of posters on CL.

Let see how Conor Coventry plays over 100 minute matches as Dobson has had to do over the last few years.
    Let's see how Terry Taylor plays over 100 minute matches.

Other midfielder have tried and failed most of the time in last 4 seasons in League 1.

Fraser's game has fallen off a cliff this season with no goals and no assists in the League. 

Louie Watson(loan) is talented on the ball but question marks over his stamina and when out of possession.
  • Sambcafc said:
    Oxford have offered more for Goodwin than us according to another forum.
    Not correct - if you are going to quote from ITTV at least quote it right
    Well he did say we had met Cheltenham's valuation. Bit of backtracking on that since.