Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 17
    This is slightly off subject here, but I do genuinely believe Terry Taylor will be like a new signing (Not this is not another one of the jokes)
    I just have a sneaking feeling he will be a good player for us, hopefully, he kicks on now after being unlucky with injuries. 
    I liked him at Burton and think he was starting to find his feet with us. I'd rather us focus now on the players we have and not the loans like Camara (Not his fault), and Fiorini and let players like Mcgradles and Fraser go.. unless we focus on Fraser playing solely in the 10 for us which is his best position but I am leaning on letting him go if he wants out.
  • I wonder what midfielders will be out the door , now we are overstacked in that department?
  • Addick_8 said:
    This is slightly off subject here, but I do genuinely believe Taylor will be like a new signing (Not this is not another one of the jokes)
    I just have a sneaking feeling he will be a good player for us, hopefully, he kicks on now after being unlucky with injuries. 
    I liked him at Burton and think he was starting to find his feet with us. I'd rather us focus now on the players we have and not the loans like Camara (Not his fault), and Fiorini and let players like Mcgradles and Fraser go.. unless we focus on Fraser playing solely in the 10 for us which is his best position.
    I think this last 6 months or so is sort of an audition for lots of the midfield. Camara is out of contract in the summer so could join us, same with Bakinson. Fiorini won't play for City so is basically available, McGrandles is approaching the point where we would cut our losses without an impact. Fraser is clearly not in our plans.
  • Fraser has gone backwards under Appleton. He’s a different player when he’s playing on the front foot rather than burdened with defensive duties. With better midfielders around him I still think Fraser is a very decent league one footballer. 
    While I am no Appleton fan. I fear that Fraser’s injuries may have affected him. He just doesn’t seem to have the pace and energy of the player we signed or saw last season since he returned.
  • How Derby spending all of this money on transfers? Last I knew they were fucked?
    They have a not overly wealthy owner who went out and got a good manager.

They bought lots of free transfers in and only didn't go up last year as their squad was light in terms of number of bodies. 

They felt older, established players were the way forward.  They have a very good youth set up.

As much as it pains me, living up here, they've got strong support - 25k crowds and they had a plan when the local businessman bought them.

Their fans were tetchy early in the season but anything does take time - but they'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

• Sponsored links:

• We were definitely after Ladapo, must be a case of Ipswich wanting to keep him. 
  • fenaddick said:
    It's good to see us being competitive for a signing and like you've said before @Braziliance it's particularly nice to battle Oxford whose recruitment is usually pretty good

No need to do any scouting really. Just get a plant in at Oxford to leak their info. Wait for them to bid, then just slightly improve the offer. Simple really
  • Addick_8 said:
    This is slightly off subject here, but I do genuinely believe Terry Taylor will be like a new signing (Not this is not another one of the jokes)
    I liked him at Burton and think he was starting to find his feet with us. I'd rather us focus now on the players we have and not the loans like Camara (Not his fault), and Fiorini and let players like Mcgradles and Fraser go.. unless we focus on Fraser playing solely in the 10 for us which is his best position but I am leaning on letting him go if he wants out.

Apples described Fiorini as the best or one of the best players he has ever worked with I think.  He also said Fiorini won't play for Man City so could be available in the summer iirc.
    I am hoping he gets himself fully match fit and does well until the end of the season. Maybe we get him in the summer and he is one of the "elite 8".

Fraser I am hoping moves on in Jan, slightly unfairly I hope the same with McGrandles too. Unfairly as I haven't really seen enough but we need to be ruthless with the injury prone. For that reason I would not touch Camara in the summer even though he will be out of contract.

Agree Taylor has all the potential to be a good one and certainly part of the solid L1 8. He again needs to prove his fitness.
  • Fraser has gone backwards under Appleton. He’s a different player when he’s playing on the front foot rather than burdened with defensive duties. With better midfielders around him I still think Fraser is a very decent league one footballer. 
    Anyone improved under Appleton  ?
  • Sage said:
    Players day off today so full focus is on recruitment and whether we can bring in a striker before the weekend. Here’s hoping 🤞🏻
    New approach? I thought that was previously on a Saturday !! :D
  • fenaddick said:
    It's good to see us being competitive for a signing and like you've said before @Braziliance it's particularly nice to battle Oxford whose recruitment is usually pretty good

Yeah clearly he is a player we want fen. 

I really wanted JCH as I thought that was a guarantee to push us on as a club. I really didn't want Ladapo so kind of glad that hasn't gone through.

Goodwin was the middle ground for me of the 3. 

He's tall, seems mobile, finding the net this season and young so has time to improve. I am also gauging Cheltenham fans reactions and they seem pretty unhappy about it, so I'll take that as a positive as well.

If I had to guess though, I'd say Goodwin would prefer Oxford to us based on location and league status so we will probably have to trump them in contract terms. 

I still think if we sign Goodwin, we need another striker as Leaburn we can assume he will leave and Goodwin doesn't seem quite ready to lead a promotion charge 
  • Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    OoOo maybe Jones could play as an overlapping CB. 
    Jones is struggling with being a regular CB at the moment. 
    He's been our only reliable CB most of the time this season tbf
    I agree, but his current form is a bit worrying. Most of the time he looks ok, as he’s ’no nonsense’, but when mistakes creep in he looks very fallible. Over the last ten games Hector has been the better option, but he’s out now. 
    I'm hoping Gillesphey will help whoever plays alongside him to perform better. It’ll be Jones that gets the nod over Ness and Thomas in a back four I suspect, and Ness will probably get the nod over Thomas in a back three. Another injury or two and we’ll struggle. I doubt they’ll bring in another CB now, but I think they should. 
    Zak and Deji aren’t ready imho, although if we get into a position where we’re safe they might consider playing one of them to gain some experience? Deji is back from his Bromley loan I think. 
    Hector get in the bin Portsmouth away, Oxford and Port Vale all had Hector mistakes in
    Don't forget Burton. 
    Port Vale one a pen one Maynard mistake and the last one L Watson ??

Oxford first was down to full back not getting tracked back leaving Edun with two men so that was down to the CBT not doing his job ..second was a shot from 25 yards ??

pompey was a shot from outside the box that Dobson failed to close down and a pen after AMB had a rush of blood to the head ..

• Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:

I really wanted JCH as I thought that was a guarantee to push us on as a club. I really didn't want Ladapo so kind of glad that hasn't gone through.

He's tall, seems mobile, finding the net this season and young so has time to improve. I am also gauging Cheltenham fans reactions and they seem pretty unhappy about it, so I'll take that as a positive as well.

If I had to guess though, I'd say Goodwin would prefer Oxford to us based on location and league status so we will probably have to trump them in contract terms. 

I still think if we sign Goodwin, we need another striker as Leaburn we can assume he will leave and Goodwin doesn't seem quite ready to lead a promotion charge 
    I think you're right that Oxford have the edge. The Alfie May factor may help, as might the fact that Oxford play 1 up top and Harris is in good form. Goodwin would be guaranteed to be starting straight away here you'd think.
  • Could be a bidding war? If Oxford offered more again we would have to go higher or equal? 
    Once you have agreed a fee why would another club offer more? Could structure the deal differently but ultimately the fee would be the same.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Fraser has gone backwards under Appleton. He’s a different player when he’s playing on the front foot rather than burdened with defensive duties. With better midfielders around him I still think Fraser is a very decent league one footballer. 
    While I am no Appleton fan. I fear that Fraser’s injuries may have affected him. He just doesn’t seem to have the pace and energy of the player we signed or saw last season since he returned.
    I'm not sure 'pace' is ever a quality I'd attribute to Fraser! 
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

I think you're right that Oxford have the edge. The Alfie May factor may help, as might the fact that Oxford play 1 up top and Harris is in good form. Goodwin would be guaranteed to be starting straight away here you'd think.
    Yes, but what happens when Leaburn comes back? that could play a big part in his decision.
  • I guess if we think our season is over and if we are still interested in another striker alongside Goodwin the obvious edge we have over Oxford would be a loan back for the season. Oxford are chasing promotion and need him now. We could buy and loan back so he stays and helps Cheltenham's relegation fight.
    Not ideal and highly unusual in L1 so unlikely but it's a choice.
  • Addick_8 said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Yes, but what happens when Leaburn comes back? that could play a big part in his decision.
    He has half a season to make that shirt his before Leaburn is back. Doesn't get that chance at Oxford
  • edited January 17
    I guess if we think our season is over and if we are still interested in another striker alongside Goodwin the obvious edge we have over Oxford would be a loan back for the season. Oxford are chasing promotion and need him now. We could buy and loan back so he stays and helps Cheltenham's relegation fight.
    Not ideal and highly unusual in L1 so unlikely but it's a choice.
    Worryingly, I think we need him for ours.