Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• We haven’t got too many midfielders, I just wanted that to be out there before it’s said.  Our midfield is shite, it’s weaker than the defence (IMO).  But the defence takes all the criticism.  

Any midfielder we sign who’s better than what we’ve got is very much welcomed.  
    We definitely do have too many midfielders. Not saying I disagree on quality, but half our squad will be CMs if we sign Coventry. 
    We do but we don’t have enough quality there. Potentially three signings surely means one or two CMs will leave, even if it’s just Watson returning and perhaps Anderson being loaned out.
  • edited January 11
    ButtleJR said:
    what category would Conor Coventry be in the 8 x 8 x 8 plan so i can start ticking them off
    Similarish to Cullen. More aggressive in the tackle and a bit bigger. Can take a set piece as well. 
    I think Cullen had more technical ability and was faster. Coventry isn't quite his level. 

Still, it's good to have the Dobson replacement sorted (if it's a done deal).
  • Scoham said:
    We haven’t got too many midfielders, I just wanted that to be out there before it’s said.  Our midfield is shite, it’s weaker than the defence (IMO).  But the defence takes all the criticism.  

We definitely do have too many midfielders. Not saying I disagree on quality, but half our squad will be CMs if we sign Coventry. 
    We do but we don’t have enough quality there. Potentially three signings surely means one or two CMs will leave, even if it’s just Watson returning and perhaps Anderson being loaned out.
    I think we need 8
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Anyway.. Coventry deal might be back on.. Shef Wed have refused to match our offer in terms of wages! So we are back in with a sniff, but there our 2 other championship clubs interested, but haven't agreed a fee as of yet. Might have been the player Scott was talking to last night.
    This deal is definitely not happening. If somehow Coventry does end up agreeing terms with us, we will lowball the transfer fee (that is yet to be agreed?) so that we can keep up the appearances of going for ambitious targets. Lets judge Rodwell/Scott on who actually ends up joining this window.
    Could be interesting after the news that just came out 👀
  • Cullen is someone who went on to be a squad PL player, it would be unrealistic to expect Coventry to be as good.

But he should definitely improve the side. 
  • Scoham said:
    We haven’t got too many midfielders, I just wanted that to be out there before it’s said.  Our midfield is shite, it’s weaker than the defence (IMO).  But the defence takes all the criticism.  

Yeah agreed, I think Watson and Anderson will go (or the latter will drop to the U23). Was there not talk of Fraser leaving too? I’m not against improving the side whichever position it’s in, but soon we could potentially have 10 CMs so we’ll need to lose a few. 
  • Re the amount of midfielders we'd have on the books - I'd like to think the Coventry signing would free up Anderson to go out on loan and potentially look at moving on from Fraser. I'm also not overly convinced about Camaras fitness record either so depth could actually be very useful. 
  • edited January 11
    MarcusH26 said:
    Re the amount of midfielders we'd have on the books - I'd like to think the Coventry signing would free up Anderson to go out on loan and potentially look at moving on from Fraser. I'm also not overly convinced about Camaras fitness record either so depth could actually be very useful. 
    New formation 
    2 6 2
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Re the amount of midfielders we'd have on the books - I'd like to think the Coventry signing would free up Anderson to go out on loan and potentially look at moving on from Fraser. I'm also not overly convinced about Camaras fitness record either so depth could actually be very useful. 
    Been said on here ( I think )that's the case.
  • edited January 11
    Excellent news on Coventry. He walks into our starting XI.

Definitely has “elite 8” potential. :-)
  • Wouldn’t be surprised if Dobson ended up in the MLS
  • Conor Coventry having a medical as I type 
  • jbaker said:
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Dobson ended up in the MLS

This would be quite interesting. Could actually see him doing well in MLS , been a fair few EFL midfielders that have done well out there and their window doesn't close until March. 
  • Coventry would be a perm would he?
  • Sounds good if true

• Sponsored links:

• Excellent news on Coventry. He walks into our starting XI.

Definitely has “elite 8” potential. :-)
    is that a separate category ?
  • So we’re all happy now. 
  • Thats a proper signing if we get it over the line. Credit where credits due. Get JCH over the line (though not expecting much there) and a defender and that should see us safe and on the way to building a decent squad for next season.
  • Coventry would be a fantastic start to putting some long term foundations in place. Would still like a quality winger on top of the oft discussed CB and JCH permanents. 
  • A BIG statement if true !!!

and shows as the SMT said last night they might not get everything right all the time but we are in VERY different times to what we have had to deal with over recent times. The offers and level of player has changed dramatically
  • Just had a confirmation message from my West Ham contact, we are going for Coventry, or was it we are going to Coventry….