Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• So am i right assuming Coventry is a Dobson replacement? 

Doesn’t make sense otherwise 
    Probably long-term replacement. Watson most likely going back to Luton this month, Dobson this month or the summer and Fraser will be off at some point too, so make sense to sign a central midfielder.
  • Gillesphy, Coventry, JCH... Others???

I know I am getting carried away but if we can secure these guys I am going to be sorely tempted to lump on us finishing top half of L1 this season.

COYA
  • I'm amazed at how many fans know this kid & know how good (or not) he is. Does everyone watch W.Ham reserves ?  Yes, I know he's been loaned out a few times but hardly a household name. 
    I work with someone who is westham through and through and would like him to develop where he is. He reckons that Coventry will be outstanding for us in League 1. 
  • Gillesphy, Coventry, JCH... Others???

I know I am getting carried away but if we can secure these guys I am going to be sorely tempted to lump on us finishing top half of L1 this season.

COYA
    What’s the odds for that at the moment please 
  • edited January 11
  • This is good news
    Shows a spend and wages
    And he'll have a sell on value too
    A tick from me

Until Appleton coaches the good out of him......
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    I think we will lose CBT & Dobbo and I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think it's the end of the world if we replace them. I'd say Coventry is/can be better than Dobson for a start. 
    I repeat what Dobson dad has told fans .. Dobson got no interest in leaving it’s not even about money .. it’s how the length of contract worked out .
  • ButtleJR said:
    I think we will lose CBT & Dobbo and I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think it's the end of the world if we replace them. I'd say Coventry is/can be better than Dobson for a start. 
    Just a shame they might not play together given how weak our midfield has been. 
  • Holmes from Reading was a name mentioned to me recently.

Youth centre half, leader on the pitch.
    Swap deal for Terrel Thomas?
  • ButtleJR said:
    That’s fine and if Dobson doesn’t want to sign (along with CBT), then we can’t do much about it, but say we get a replacement for both of them (Coventry for Dobson, X for CBT), we’re just back where we started.  In an ideal world we’re building on top of our current best players, not replacing them.  The ones that need replacing are the likes of the ones Atheltico mentions above

I appreciate all this probably can’t be done in the Jan window, but they better make sure they are on it from the end of the season.  
  • Reading are a L1 relegation struggling team for a reason. There won’t be many nuggets there. 
  • Swisdom said:
    We bid for Abbey but he’s got Premier League interest. We can’t compete.
    But the vultures are circling above Reading who are in bad shape 
    That’s a good sign that we’re in for the right players atleast, very interesting to see how we could be lining up in feb onwards.
  • cazo said:
    Gillesphy, Coventry, JCH... Others???

COYA
    Odds on mate. We’re only two points and 1 place of the top half as it stands.

4/5 is the best price I’ve seen
  • Holmes from Reading was a name mentioned to me recently.

Young but experienced centre half, leader on the pitch, played around 40 games a season for last three seasons.
    Abbey would be an utterly outrageous signing but Holmes too would be a really good acquisition for us and probably more realistic given the volume of suitors in line for Abbey 
  • Sponsored links:

• If we let Dobson and CBT go and don't strengthen around them what's the point madness imo,actually laughable the shite CBT gets on here and into the valley is pathetic the guy has his full back on toast most games scores goals and assists yeah let's just throw someone else in his position,we never replaced rak sakyi so everything goes down the left.
  • cazo said:
    Gillesphy, Coventry, JCH... Others???

COYA
    Odds on mate. We’re only two points and 1 place of the top half as it stands.

4/5 is the best price I’ve seen
    👍👍
  • Still not getting carried away.
  • Where's Ronnie when you really need him...🙄
  • jondon76 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Would rather have a younger hungry striker than one that's just after a last big pay day tbh.
    We have young and hungry in leaburn and Kanu. We need an experienced l1 quality striker who will raise the profile of the club.

seeing players like JCH at the training ground may help convince our out of contract players and other transfer targets to sign.

Difference is Leaburn injury prone and Kanu isn't ready.

This is great experience for Daniel, and obviously Kanu shouldn't be starting every game but he is a natural goal scorer and as the 4th striker can play 20 to 30 minutes depending on the state of the match. I love his enthusiasm and would get double figures with better quality passes. May and Kanu are our best Penalty area players. I would prefer to push the boat out for 26 year old Macaulay Langstaff from Notts County as I don't feel JCH is over motivated to come to Charlton. 

The sad truth is Langstaff could get a better offer than Cafc from a higher rated club.
  • jondon76 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Would rather have a younger hungry striker than one that's just after a last big pay day tbh.
    We have young and hungry in leaburn and Kanu. We need an experienced l1 quality striker who will raise the profile of the club.

seeing players like JCH at the training ground may help convince our out of contract players and other transfer targets to sign.

Difference is Leaburn injury prone and Kanu isn't ready.

This is great experience for Daniel, and obviously Kanu shouldn't be starting every game but he is a natural goal scorer and as the 4th striker can play 20 to 30 minutes depending on the state of the match. I love his enthusiasm and would get double figures with better quality passes. May and Kanu are our best Penalty area players. I would prefer to push the boat out for 26 year old Macaulay Langstaff from Notts County as I don't feel JCH is over motivated to come to Charlton. 

The sad truth is Langstaff could get a better offer than Cafc from a higher rated club.
    Langstaff is wanted by Championship clubs but won't go until the end of the season.
  • Cullen is someone who went on to be a squad PL player, it would be unrealistic to expect Coventry to be as good.

But he should definitely improve the side. 
    West Ham mate said he doesn't understand why Coventry hasn't had more opportunities with them this season and thinks he'll excel for us.