Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 11
    I’d heard of Marcus Madison, Harry Arter, Charlie Kirk and Jaiyesimi before we signed them. And Alfie May, to be fair. 
    I hadn’t heard of Cullen, Bielik, Dobson, Maatsen, Gallagher or Corey Blacket-Taylor. 
    I don’t what this means. Probably nothing. 

PS Where’s the flippin’ match preview, so called @Sage? It’s a disgrace!
  • So am i right assuming Coventry is a Dobson replacement? 

Doesn’t make sense otherwise 
    Probably long-term replacement. Watson most likely going back to Luton this month, Dobson this month or the summer and Fraser will be off at some point too, so make sense to sign a central midfielder.
    Luton manager said in a local paper that Watson needs to learn and fight for his place.
    He’s not going anywhere based on that article.

• Just catching up and can’t be bothered to read the 8 zillion posts I’ve missed,  so apologies if these boring one liners have been used before re Conor Coventry

Surely he can’t be  better than Karoy Anderson ?
    Hopefully he fails his fitness test which will guarantee we sign him 

It's all a bit weird.
    We want to sign players not loan them from now on (where possible).
    Then it's we'll have to loan this window, but there's no loan who will sign for us that's better than we already have.
    24 hours later we're signing Connor Coventry.
    C'est la vie. 
  • If Coventry signs that’s three signings two of whom have played for Appleton before. Good to see we have cast the recruiting net far and wide  :)
    If we've asked him "who's the best players you've worked with, and we'll try and sign them" then fair play, especially if they're good enough and signing here to play under Appleton, given they've said they were too hasty with Holden and don't want to repeat that mistake
  • Scoham said:
    Reading are a L1 relegation struggling team for a reason. There won’t be many nuggets there. 
    They had 4 points deducted, add those back on and they’re only 3 behind us in 13th. If they’re keen to sell it’s definitely worth a look to see if we can get a good deal or two. Similar to how we signed BWP so cheaply.
    The big centre forward looked good as did Azeez 
  • Just catching up and can’t be bothered to read the 8 zillion posts I’ve missed,  so apologies if these boring one liners have been used before re Conor Coventry

Surely he can’t be  better than Karoy Anderson ?
    Hopefully he fails his fitness test which will guarantee we sign him 

It's all a bit weird.
    We want to sign players not loan them from now on (where possible).
    Then it's we'll have to loan this window, but there's no loan who will sign for us that's better than we already have.
    24 hours later we're signing Connor Coventry.
    C'est la vie. 
    Or it's all pretty normal but the hand-wringing, bed-wetting forum members are all too busy jumping to conclusions and writing off everything and everyone associated with the club, instead of simply waiting to see what transpires
  • Reading are a L1 relegation struggling team for a reason. There won’t be many nuggets there. 
    Struggling ???  Not recently they aren't.

Lost 1 in their last 7. Picked up 10 points from those 7 games. Whereas we have not won at all in our last 7 and picked up just 5 points.
  • I’m off to bed with a smile on my face (makes a change).
    Might have to reevaluate my opinion of Andy Scott.

Now where is that big striker coming from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah Reading have shown some signs of life lately, can't imagine their fans will be best pleased with how their January will now probably pan out. They were looking like they were going to stay up.

Lose all the players on that list and it becomes very tricky. 
  • Dobson surely got offered a take it or leave it deal. 3 midfielders to add to our collection means he is off I think. Corey might be harder to replace I don't know. Without him we have 1 winger. 
    Is mcgrandles staying or going. It's now been 18 months and he has had what feels like 10 games. 
    If we can pay off Kirk, why not aneke as well. Aneke has 19 apps this year and last which is ridiculous for your top earner. 
    Fraser our other top earner has produced zero goals and assists this season?????? Could sell him on probably if someone is gullible enough.

• Richard J said:
    Would be happier with Smith than JCH.

Savage might be worth a punt as well.

This is not the first occasion I've heard Savage and punt in the same sentence.
  • If we’d lost out on Coventry to the Massives people would have been complaining about how we target the wrong players and the bid was all a smokescreen. Now we’ve seemingly got him it’s all claims he’s not actually any good and hand-wringing that Dobson is off. Enjoy the moment when it comes, we’ll soon see how good he is. We’re also a team totally lacking in midfield cohesion, the idea that we wouldn’t play a double holding midfielder behind a 10 is potentially very wide of the mark. Two midfielders who can sit, screen the defence and alternate in stepping forward while the 10 handles the creative aspect is pretty basic stuff. 

Also, if you want to keep Dobson, surrounding him with much better players for the next 6 months is a good way to go about it 
    Let's see. If he goes I am sure we will get over it. If he stays , good.
  • AndyG said:
    JCH obviously doesn't want to join us even with a hefty wage increase.
    Lets withdraw our offer and move on ...

Totally agree with this ! if the bloke is taking this much time to decide then he isnt worth the wait. If he isnt commited to the move then it will be a flop. Not the clubs fault they are obviously trying to spend money but you cant force players to sign
    Do you make life changing decisions over a few days?
    Our offer has happened over the last few days. The player made his mind up months, even a year ago that he wasn't signing a new contract at peterborough

he must have had many a conversation with his agent during that time about what his options are and what package he is after. 

Our offer either falls short and we all move on or it's within the scales discussed all year with his agent and he accepts. The only new parts to the equation are playing l1 again for a mid table side and moving to this area. The other parts should be a quick and easy to agree/reject
    He agreed to join Bristol Rovers on deadline day in the summer but the paperwork wasn't completed in time and the deal collapsed. 
  • Dont know a hell of a lot about Coventry, but on paper looks a brilliant signing. Also have to give Andy Scott and the money men credit here, we have beaten 2 Championship clubs to the signing, he wouldnt have come cheap
  • Sponsored links:

• Cob 11h Jan

Confirmed EFL signings = 54
    Confirmed L1 signings = 17
    Charlton signings = 2

• CafcSCP said:
    So am i right assuming Coventry is a Dobson replacement? 

Doesn’t make sense otherwise 
    Probably long-term replacement. Watson most likely going back to Luton this month, Dobson this month or the summer and Fraser will be off at some point too, so make sense to sign a central midfielder.
    Luton manager said in a local paper that Watson needs to learn and fight for his place.
    He’s not going anywhere based on that article.

Good
  • TEL said:
    Scoham said:
    Reading are a L1 relegation struggling team for a reason. There won’t be many nuggets there. 
    They had 4 points deducted, add those back on and they’re only 3 behind us in 13th. If they’re keen to sell it’s definitely worth a look to see if we can get a good deal or two. Similar to how we signed BWP so cheaply.
    The big centre forward looked good as did Azeez 

Yeah Ehibhatioman.. only 20 thought he looked very decent when he came on in both games against us.
  • edited January 12
    Yeah Reading have shown some signs of life lately, can't imagine their fans will be best pleased with how their January will now probably pan out. They were looking like they were going to stay up.

May very well be another false dawn for Reading... Read online about a whistleblower within the club, who was claiming that the Reading owner has no interest in selling the club, but instead is going to asset strip.

• Yeah Reading have shown some signs of life lately, can't imagine their fans will be best pleased with how their January will now probably pan out. They were looking like they were going to stay up.

May very well be another false dawn for Reading... Read online about a whistleblower within the club, who was claiming that the Reading owner has no interest in selling the club, but instead is going to asset strip.

What happened to Mike Ashley’s interest? Probably waiting to buy the club for £1
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Please, please, please can we have for the next window two Charlton transfer threads:

1. Transfer Rumours - Summer 2024 (for rumours only).
    2. Transfer Discussions - Summer 2024 (for general transfer chat and suggestions etc)

You know it makes sense. 
    Do you genuinely believe that will rid either thread of bickering, accusations, fish puns and general bullshit? 
    It’s gotta be worth a try. 
    Deprive me of my fish puns and you’re skating on thin ice. 
  • Scoham said:
    Heard we’re also in for Conor Westham who plays for Coventry.
    I’d be quite keen on Conor Barça who plays for Madrid and Conor Madrid…
  • seth plum said:
    Tash is the absolute Don.
    She even knows all the lyrics to every new incomprehensible Charlton chant word for word before they're even thought up.
    That's how far ahead of the rest of us Tash is.
    #ChuckNorrisOfTalksport
  • ButtleJR said:
    In other news apparently Lyle Taylor is already being let go by Wycombe. 
    Sat up staring at his blank TV screen til 5am contemplating it I imagine.