Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• We haven’t got too many midfielders, I just wanted that to be out there before it’s said.  Our midfield is shite, it’s weaker than the defence (IMO).  But the defence takes all the criticism.  

Any midfielder we sign who’s better than what we’ve got is very much welcomed.  
    We definitely do have too many midfielders. Not saying I disagree on quality, but half our squad will be CMs if we sign Coventry. 
    I’m not counting the shite I’m only counting the ones good enough for a genuine challenge at promotion.  
  • A good first step
  • Is he a defensive midfielder?
  • edited January 11
    Got to be fake, surely!!

Or someone’s kept that quiet!
  • If there was any doubt over the Coventry rumours, this is Sky’s numero uno for transfers:

• A BIG statement if true !!!

and shows as the SMT said last night they might not get everything right all the time but we are in VERY different times to what we have had to deal with over recent times. The offers and level of player has changed dramatically
    Hope your right - all the corporate re bullshit I listened to last night is forgiven if they sign some good players 
  • edited January 11
    JamesSeed said:
    So we’re all happy now. 
    What can we moan about now?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 11
    redbuttle said:
    JamesSeed said:
    So we’re all happy now. 
    Patience, there’ll be something give it time 😉
  • redbuttle said:
    JamesSeed said:
    So we’re all happy now. 
    We’ll find something never fear.
  • Dubai are we still interested in Ian Poveda as we really need a RW 
  • ButtleJR said:
    what category would Conor Coventry be in the 8 x 8 x 8 plan so i can start ticking them off
    Similarish to Cullen. More aggressive in the tackle and a bit bigger. Can take a set piece as well. 
    We have Fraser for that
  • redbuttle said:
    JamesSeed said:
    So we’re all happy now. 
    I’m sure I can think of something. 🤔

I know, we’ve got too many midfielders! 😂
  • Great signing for us CC, can see that the board understand midfield and forwards are areas we are low on quality, very good start once confirmed, would love to see us bring in a big nasty forward next and possibly someone to cover the wings as I feel we're a touch light there, perhaps a change of formation is on the way? 
  • Is he a defensive midfielder?
    https://youtu.be/KaKcD5E3ND8?si=Dfz9XwfSXPZ4LiyC

No idea who this guy is, but he was talking about a deal each team could do. And mentioned Coventry to Wigan - only has good things to say about his ability.

Sounds like he is very technical but able to play deep in midfield. 
  • edited January 11
    Assuming Coventry signs before noon tomorrow does he go straight into the team ?  

If so, can he play up front because currently we are very light there. 

(2nd point in jest)
  • I am sure that Conor Coventry is a very good footballer, however he is a midfielder and right now we have more midfielders than you could throw a very long stick at
  • Sponsored links:

• so who is going out the door ?
  • edited January 11
    People complaining about too many central midfielders but I want us plating with five like Spain at Euro 2012. Three central midfielders, one CM playing wide, and one as a false nine. If you think we pass to much now just wait until we have 78% possession and still concede twice a game in transition.

Seriously though, he seems a good signing. Decent reviews from his past clubs. Our last promotion was built around a diminutive Irishman from West Ham. 

This signing, like with Taylor, is not just for this season but hopefully for the next 2-3 years as well. And both players can hold, distribute, and break up play. 

I'm not going to speculate about what this means for Dobbo's future at the club. But with Taylor, Coventry, and Anderson in midfield we have a very young, promising midfield for the foreseeable future. Add Fraser to thar assuming he comes back into form and I'm hopeful that we'll be able to build teams around the midfield in the next couple years. 
  • IF he is anywhere near so good as Gallagher, then we will have a right coup to applaud
  • My wish for this window was to toughen up and improve the midfield. Bakinson & Coventry may well do that, from what I’ve read, assuming the latter has signed (and passed his medical). 
    If Dobson is staying he might have to fight for his place, which is no bad thing. 
    I suspect they’re looking to offload Fraser the Grazer, who might at least bring a few quid in. 
    Watson, McGrandles and Fiorelli to throw into the mix makes it all quite interesting. Anderson maybe loaned out or returned to the U23s?
    I must have forgotten someone?
    Ah, Chem (is he going back?), Camara (injured, but staying?) and Terry Taylor, still injured, but like a new signing when fit again, because we’ve only glimpses so far. The Not the Top 20 podcast boys were raving about when we signed him, and they’re not bad judges. 
    This window has at least created a bit of interest that might tempt the Disillusioned of Charlton brigade (which is probably most of us) back to the fold. Win a few matches and there might even be a buzz around The Valley again. 
    Nailed on well lost tomorrow now. 🙁
    Now where’s that match preview… 
  • Don’t go to The Valley tomorrow @JamesSeed you’ll have a wasted journey 😉. I did that once for an U21 match at Dartford🤦‍♂️
  • If we sign this guy I think we can safely assume that this mob are serious ! He would have had a lot of offers and to get him signed would be a significant statement imo once other players start seeing people like this signing they might start to want to join us